Suggestions for this forum

Mark

I decided against a spell checker because if people can't spell correctly or can't be bothered or haven't the time to check their writings or want to write slang etc etc then that adds a bit more of their charming personality to the site. If everyone spell checked their post the site would be a bit too clinical.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This came up on a couple of threads recently - how about putting together some sort of posting guide for newbie forum-ites? Could be a sticky at the top of each room? Or mailed to new members when they register? I was thinking of something practical to complement the more legally focused "About this forum" post at the top of this room.

Wikipedia has a good starting point which we could tailor/adapt? For example:

* Be courteous to other forum members.

* Before creating a new topic thread, search to see if a similar topic already exists.

* Follow standard grammar and spelling rules.

* Try to post in the correct section.

* Stay on-topic.

* Avoid double posting and Crossposting.

* Respond to topics started by others more often than starting your own.

* Don't resurrect a very old topic if nothing significant will be added.

* Be objective - think before you post.

Wikipedia - Netiquette

Apologies if I have not followed my own guidance and this has been done before (I did search and couldn't find anything!)

It's a good idea all_star, when I get time I'll put that list up somewhere and perhaps attach it to the registration email that goes out as you suggest. I've always tried to stay away from rules but I think the time has come for some "guidance" such as the list you mention, it's short enough for people to read and not just ignore.

thanks for the suggestion

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a neat idea that seems to be doing the meme rounds at the moment.

apparently "If Google had a black screen, taking in account the huge number of page views, according to calculations, 750 mega watts/hour per year would be saved." In response Google created a black version of its search engine, called Blackle, with the exact same functions as the white version, but obviously with lower energy consumption:"

This may be just an excuse to get people on to this chaps google portal, but the idea sounds very plausible.

http://www.blackle.com/

So what do you reckon admin. Would it be feasible to have optional style sheets in preferences or something? If you're a tree hugger you could have a white on black version of the forum or something?

The Blackle thing is a clever ruse. The site is not by Google and the person who set it up now has billlions and billions of people using his site. He also gets a commission is a search turns to a sponsored click. Good work soon to be rich Blackle man.

• 1 month later...