Begging Bowl/palmerston not paying employee, what would you do?

Hi I don't know what to do.

my BF used to work for the begging bowl. they still owe him money because of a mistake they did in sending him his p60 without paying his last shifts.

the boss James Younger was pretty intimidating over the email, telling stuff like 'come see me at the Palmerston' (he owns both Palmerston and Begging Bowl)

The amount he owes my bf is not big but it is still important to us, this guy is really a bad person and it makes me feel very bad to know that he can treat someone who's always been there when they needed staff... my boyfriend was always on call after he quitted because it was convenient to both of us for extra money obviously for him and staff for them...

but now it's been a year. first, the guy said he doesn't want to pay him, he wants an invoice so my bf did an invoice (registered with HMRC for that) so we had to wait for the UTR number...

we sent the invoice Jamie said, I need the UTR number on the invoice. (which is not mandatory) so we had to wait to get that number.

we sent it to him and then he never paid...

Basically, what would you do? I really feel annoyed by it, and I can't let go because it is really unfair. Since we've been to the UK many things like this have happened to me and now it's happened to my bf it really makes me angry.

Why would you need to invoice for work done as an employee, let alone give them your UTR? Doesn't make sense to me.

Speak to an employment lawyer. It needn't cost you anything as the first consultation should be free and should lead to them telling you whether they think you have a case and on what grounds.

Alternatively, make a nice sign saying what's happened and sit politely outside their door till it's resolved.

Oh, and as it's been a year you should charge them ibteresy and any costs you've incurred as a result of it.

Lots of firms leave it until as late as possible to pay bills these days. it's a horrible way to manage and you end suddenly getting things cut off. The management know they owe money but leave it as late as possible to pay.

Solicitors letter would be next .. but you probably can't afford that - I'd try and go down the free advice route to start as above.

Publically all I will say is that Jamie Younger is a vile, rude piece of work who does not deserve the success he?s had.

Let?s just say your boyfriend is not the first person I?ve heard of this happening to - not by a long way. I?ve known several waiters from Begging Bowl who all tell tales of it being a crap place to work.

Hey Jaime, if you?re reading this, are you still shouting at elderly ladies in your dining room?

Don?t back down. Jaime is a nasty piece of work who thinks he can intimidate his way out of any situation.

Acas has advice online and also a free advice line for workplace disputes: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

'Calling the Acas helpline

If you have not been able to find an answer on the Acas website, Helpline Online or if you need help with resolving a dispute or a problem in your workplace you may wish to talk to a Acas Helpline Adviser. Before you call the Acas helpline please take some time to read the employment law and employment relations guidance related to your call.

It can also be helpful to keep a note of any guidance pages you visit as this can help you and the adviser if you need to refer to this information during your conversation.

Before making your call please make sure you have with you:

a pen and some paper

your contract (if available)

notes about any information you may wish to discuss.

If you have an impairment that makes it difficult for you on the phone, please tell us what you need so that we can do our best to help you. Our advisers are trained to respond to customers' needs when we know what these are.

The Acas helpline number is 0300 123 1100. It is available Monday to Friday 8am-6pm.

International languages

You can get Helpline support in any language. Just call the Helpline and tell us which language you prefer. Within seconds we'll have an interpreter available for you.'