Charity shops in East Dulwich and surrounding areas - where are they?

NewWave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm horrified to hear about the 30k rise in annual

> rent. thats an extra ?600 pw after all other

> overheads they need to find.

> Surely a landlord would rather have something in

> his retail space than an empty shop?

> That kind of hike on that kind of tenant is just

> greed and turns my stomach.

> no wonder our high streets are full of such c**p.

> My mother passed away in a hospice, those places

> are run by angels and to see some greasy pawed

> landowner trying to squeeze money out of a charity

> like that..just evil!

On the one hand, I totally agree with your sentiments.

On the other hand, surely that wouldn't otherwise be "an empty shop"?

It's in a prime position on Lordship Lane.

If the landlord was to charge ?30k pa less because it was a charity shop, but could get ?30k more by renting it to somebody else, then effectively s/he is donating ?30k pa to the charity.

I'm no capitalist, but I can see the landlord's point of view here.

I'm horrified to hear about the 30k rise in annual rent

Although it is clear that the rent has risen by that amount since the previous year (why would anyone lie about that?), it may (well) be that the previous rent had remained unchanged for some time (not uncommon with commercial rents). Do you know for how many years the new level of rent is to run? Owners of shop premises are commercial businesses (that must pay taxes on their profits) - it is not in their interests (normally) to charge above the commercial rate such that they cannot lease the properties - and clearly St Christopher's has chosen to pay the increased rent, presumably because it is a commercially sensible for them to do so (it's a charity shop, but must run like a business, even where, with volunteers and freely provided materials to sell it does not operate with normal business costs).

The landlord wanted to sell out to a large coffee chain (I think they may have made him/her an offer.) St. Christopher's had to negotiate a rent rise in order to retain the premises. I believe that the ED store is the largest shop they have.

I went to both stores on lordship lane today, the mark up seem quite reasonable. the two charity stores clost to the lordship eound about not so good. seem to have prices the same if you was purchasing new.

The best charity shops seem to be the prade of storesd along walworth road, some really reasonable. SENSE seem to be reasonable priced

Quote 'I know this has been discussed on here before, probably more than once, but it seems (and I'm not saying this is wrong) that the charity's priority is to raise funds for its own work rather than to provide affordable items for people who couldn't otherwise buy them.'

I would say this is every charity shops aim isn't it? The focus is on funds raised for the cause. It's a side effect that many of the items for sale were on the cheaper end of the spectrum, and so attractive to people on low incomes. But there's no impetus to keep prices very low if you can raise them AND still make your targets.