Parent & baby spaces at Sainsburys ED

I am in my late 60?s with a bad hip that affects my leg,,and I personally think those spaces should be used for the elderly aswell that struggle to get in and out the narrow car space without pain, and those spaces allow us to have the door open to make it easier to ease in and out without struggling...I will use them if there available because I need the space as much as those with children... Most of us cannot get a disabled badge because the council have cut back,, them spaces should not be just because you have children it should be for the elderly too...

daveybigpotatoes Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I warned a lady returning to one of these spaces

> the other day that she must have left her child in

> the shop. I offered to watch her trolley so she

> could find them but she didn?t take me up on it.

Post of the day for me

Worldwiser... omg my daughter took me to Sainsburys this morning,,, has we got back to the car park , a snobby woman with a child started on us about parking in the wider bay,,my daughter said my mum has a bad hip and mind your own business, she replied get a blue badge, there?s lots of people that can say it?s so hard to get that nowdays..so I explained my situation and said it?s not just parents that need the space, and her rude reply was get a walking stick then , I was shocked and so angry , I don?t want a walking stick because I am trying to not let it get worse , I hope she is reading this shame on you, hope this happens to one of your parents,then you would do the same,and hope you break a leg very soon,, Those bays should not be just for parents and children . And parents nowdays expect it to easy because it?s already a lot easier then it was years ago.If there?s a space I get my daughter to drive in and I will carry on doing so..

I?m the daughter of applepears, anyone who stops me again will get told the same thing as that lady 20 yrs ago when my children were little we never had them spaces and even now when I have my grandsons I can?t always get a space there but I manage with them like I did 20 yrs ago, so please yes stop me and moan and you will get told if you can not manage then don?t have children.

There?s no solution to this, is there? People who feel entitled to park where they want to will just go ahead. Sainsbury?s could do without the hassle of confronting them.

For the ladies who park in parents? spaces because of disability: sorry, I do not understand why you don?t just park in a disabled bay instead. You clearly feel it?s disability that?s affecting you, so use those spaces. Also, getting a blue badge has nothing to do with cuts - the form is a pain to complete, it always has been. Even the Government recommends you get the Citizens Advice to help you fill it out. But ultimately, you?re either eligible, or you?re not.

tash b Wrote:

> I?m the daughter of applepears, anyone who stops

> me again will get told the same thing as that lady

> 20 yrs ago when my children were little we never

> had them spaces and even now when I have my

> grandsons I can?t always get a space there but I

> manage with them like I did 20 yrs ago, so please

> yes stop me and moan and you will get told if you

> can not manage then don?t have children.

Wow.

Getting a blue badge has lots to do with the cuts, I?ve seen people that are in a bad way that?s been rejected..I do not intend to try just yet because I am hoping to get back to normallality .. and it?s got nothing to do with anyone, stop being so lazy and get a life.,,,like I say if there?s a space I will get my daughter to use that bay , so moan all you want ..

Applepears Wrote:

> Getting a blue badge has lots to do with the cuts,

> I?ve seen people that are in a bad way that?s been

> rejected..I do not intend to try just yet because

> I am hoping to get back to normallality .. and

> it?s got nothing to do with anyone, stop being so

> lazy and get a life.,,,like I say if there?s a

> space I will get my daughter to use that bay , so

> moan all you want ..

Your taking spaces that are not reserved for you and which you're not entitled to use is nothing to do with anyone? Not the people for whom the spaces are actually reserved?

Blue badge availability has nothing to do with cuts, they don't cost anything beyond administration (for central govt). In fact they just announced that they were massively extending eligibility. If you're entitled to one, get one, you can always stop using it when you don't need it any further. But the attitude that you and your daughter have decided to what you're entitled and that your decision overrules anyone else's needs or the rules of the carpark is pretty poor.

Additionally I do not accept that use of a stick when needed will tend to exacerbate any problem. That's ridiculous. Properly used a stick will allow weight on a 'gammy' leg (or hip) to be redistributed, which often then allows the leg to heal (when it's not being put under constant strain). It further stops strain being transferred elsewhere - 'favouring' a leg (if the problem is with the knee) can can place real strain on the hip, for instance. Physiotherapists can frequently give good advice and training on walking with a damaged limb to avoid further damage and help locomotion.

When my partner had a locomotion problem (which eventually required surgery) I would drop her off at Sainsbury's door, park up where I could, and then collect her again when we had finished shopping.

tash b Wrote:

3000 years ago people with bad hips couldnt run away, and got eaten by sabre tooth tigers...you people with bad hips dont know how good you've got it today....

TheCat

>

> 3000 years ago people with bad hips couldnt run

> away, and got eaten by sabre tooth tigers...you

> people with bad hips dont know how good you've got

> it today....

Lol

Neither do parents with child space parking.

Gosh, what rays of sunshine you pair are, Applepears and Tash b - daughter of Moaning-Bay-Stealing-Mother-on-a-crutch.

My mum has Osteo-arthritis - pretty painful - and uses a stick, too. She'd never dream of taking a bay which - quite rightly - belonged to mums n babies. She certainly wouldn't have me drive her around threatening people who dare to challenge her.

Take Note Wrote:

> Gosh, what rays of sunshine you pair are,

> Applepears and Tash b - daughter of

> Moaning-Bay-Stealing-Mother-on-a-crutch.

>

> My mum has Osteo-arthritis - pretty painful - and

> uses a stick, too. She'd never dream of taking a

> bay which - quite rightly - belonged to mums n

> babies. She certainly wouldn't have me drive her

> around threatening people who dare to challenge

> her.

She?s not on a crutch, who said I drive her around threatening people who dare to challenge us.

My last message on here as I can not be bothered to argue with people like you who have nothing better else to do with there time.

Good evening to you

errr - you just did.

If she ain't got a crutch - what's the need for a massive car space which belongs to someone else?

tash b Wrote:

peckham_ryu Wrote:

> There?s no solution to this, is there? People who

> feel entitled to park where they want to will just

> go ahead. Sainsbury?s could do without the hassle

> of confronting them.

>

> For the ladies who park in parents? spaces because

> of disability: sorry, I do not understand why you

> don?t just park in a disabled bay instead. You

> clearly feel it?s disability that?s affecting you,

> so use those spaces. Also, getting a blue badge

> has nothing to do with cuts - the form is a pain

> to complete, it always has been. Even the

> Government recommends you get the Citizens Advice

> to help you fill it out. But ultimately, you?re

> either eligible, or you?re not.

It's not always that simple. I don't know about the number of spaces at this branch of Sainsburys, but my mother can only walk a very short distance unassisted, which is why she has a blue badge, and there have been several occasions recently when I have taken her shopping at her local Morrisons to find that all of the disabled bays have been full. We have driven round and round the car park each time trying to find a vacant space near enough to the shop, and in desperation I parked in a mother and baby space a couple of months ago because this was the only space that was close enough for her to be able to get from the car to the store. Whilst I was trying to help my mother from the car to the shop, I was subjected to a tirade of abuse from an apparently fit and healthy woman in her 20s with a baby for using the space. It was very obvious that my mother is in a bad way and finds it extremely hard to walk, but when I tried to explain that all of the disabled bays were occupied (not all of them by people displaying blue badges) she continued with her rant. I'm still a little bewildered by her obvious sense of outrage and clear belief that having a baby for some reason made her more needy that a 91 year old with very serious and obvious walking difficulties.

Maybe the 'parent and child' spaces would be better marked-up as also being available to blue badge holders where no blue badge spaces were available. Whilst it is more convenient for parents with children to have the larger spaces (than not), disabled individuals should surely gain preference over them in any shortage.

Maybe the best solution is to have wider bays so all of us who struggle getting in/out car can push the car door open wide without scratching another car. I try and take my son in law with me shopping as he is more agile (and slimmer) than me, on the last couple of occasions, cars have parked up so close to the drivers side, I could only get one leg in, he had a good laugh and had to reverse up for me to enable me to get in. Recently had to park in a Kent Hospital car park and noticed that all the bays including the disabled bays were of the same width. Only difference was that the disabled bays were nearer to the entrance.

sillywoman Wrote:

> uncleglen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > these spaces should be on the far side of the

> car

> > park as far as I'm concerned. When you are

> > breeding you are at your most fit. Those of us

> in

> > our 50s and 60s have NO sympathy because we had

> to

> > get on a bus after having to fold up the push

> > chair with a baby under one arm and shopping as

> > well

>

> You absolutely speak for yourself Uncleglen, and

> not for me. Im in the category you describe, and

> have the utmost sympathy with parents of young

> children using those spaces. I well recall the

> difficulties of manoeuvring a full trolley of

> shopping, a baby and a few toddlers into the car

> in a busy car park. In normal spaces this can be

> quite a hairy process as either the baby in the

> trolley, or the toddlers are inevitably left the

> road behind the car whilst you try to get them all

> in as speedily as possible. The bus thing is not

> relevant at all - do you imagine parents of young

> children now don't go on buses? How embarrassing

> to have you suggest that I might share your

> closed-minded 'it was worse in our day' attitude

> based on my age. Nothing like. I never, never park

> in P&C spaces because i don't need the extra space

> now, parents with babies and toddlers do - to keep

> them safe.

People with toddlers do get on buses- BUT they don't have to fold up the pushchairs.....things were worse for young parents (probably why lots of them stopped breeding altogether) and the disabled in 'our' day you cannot deny that otherwise you are admitting that we have not moved on.

Houseoflego Wrote:

> A fight between the rights of those with

> disabilities v families with kids. Keep it classy

> EDF.

Only it isn't, it's a discussion about the rights of those with neither kids nor a disability entitlement to decide they have a right to take up spaces reserved for those people. Bit different.