>

> There are two sizes of the "small" brown bins -

> the one which goes into the kitchen and just holds

> one of the little green bags, and the larger one

> which goes outside and holds more.

>

> They are both a lot smaller than the large brown

> bin, but unless you have vast quantities of food

> waste the larger "small" brown bin should be OK :)

What "little green bag" the kitchen bin holds???

I'm just putting the food straight into the caddy, and planned

to wash it up when it's emptied.

Gina

Hi Silversurfer65,

Most people within the food waste scheme are using little biodegradable pale green bags to line the small brown food caddies kept in the kitchen. Makes it feel less messy and extends the time before the caddy needs a thorough clean.

It also reduces the chance of stray food not going in the weekly collection trucks.

But you don't have to use the bags and not using them saves a wee bit of money for the council.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Silversurfer65,

> Most people within the food waste scheme are using

> little biodegradable pale green bags to line the

> small brown food caddies kept in the kitchen.

> Makes it feel less messy and extends the time

> before the caddy needs a thorough clean.

> It also reduces the chance of stray food not going

> in the weekly collection trucks.

> But you don't have to use the bags and not using

> them saves a wee bit of money for the council.

James, the initial bags were Free. In the original Blurb (which I have lost) was a order form

for more bags. It would seem they are NOT Free.

Mick

katanita Wrote:

> Anyone else finding that those liners are always

> leaking and holey when it comes time to take them

> out to the main bin? Always end up having to

> double bag them and then clean the caddy each

> time. Or am I doing it wrong?

I'm doubling them as there's not quite enough spare bag for me to tie once the caddy's full, iyswim. Maybe future ones could be a touch bigger, or even have tie-able handles?

I completely agree. I have 2 pretty pails outside the back door: one fills for my compost and the other fills for the brown bin. I want services from government that I cannot provide myself: health, education, recycling and those I want at WORLD standard not made up local play government baby let's try this or that for a few years and then oh well wasn't really good enough oops let's try something else. The cost of those bags must be multiples of the lollipop people they're axing or children's services or any number of things I can't do myself. I want government with imagination and intellectual passion not Barrie Hargrove and Peter John muddling along with second best because you lot don't shoot at them you shoot at the messanger. Walk up and down streets, those green bags are decomposing on doorsteps everywhere.

Catgirl, you said it all! i came back from holiday to find my narrow street, no front gardens, crammed with huge BLUE bins- most of the people in my street have now spent time phoning and emailing to swap or remove them, and downsize the huge green bins which are now mainly redundant.We are also still awash with blue boxes...

Who organised the wholesale distribution of these bins? What a disaster!

dds

DulwichFox Wrote:

> James, the initial bags were Free. In the original

> Blurb (which I have lost) was a order form

> for more bags. It would seem they are NOT Free.

>

xxxxxxxxx

I am pretty sure (though I'd need to double check) that somewhere in the council blurb it says that the council has provided two rolls of bags which they expect to last a year, and that if you need more than that during that time to let them know.

The only thing I have seen which implied something wasn't free was a leaflet inside the brown kitchen bin giving prices for filters etc. but I'm sure that was put in there by the bin manufacturer rather than the council.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

chambers Wrote:

> A EDF member asked if anyone knew ? What would be

> happening to the disused recycle boxes?.....My

> suggestion...Use them as planters to brighten up

> your street. Buy a dag of daffodils and share them

> with your neighbours

Without wishing to read the whole thread, the boxes are great for growing tomatoes in. One of my old neighbours used to request new boxes every spring and this year had the best part of a dozen grow bags lined up on her balcony. I'm not sure that's quite where I wanted my council tax money going...but she shared her produce so we didn't whinge.