demolition/building on ivanhoe/bromar rd

Jeremy

"You are correct, it was an old Council block that was very shabby and run-down."

Yes, it was a small council block, but as for being old, it was significantly newer than the Dog Kennel Hill council blocks next to it.

I thought the original plans were to demolish the all or the majority of that estate, does anyone know what the latest plans involve? The seems to be a lot of refurbishment going on.

"Old" as in "not new". It was a 60's/70's monstrosity. The grass areas around it were never used. Hopefully the new building will be more habitable.

They seem to be refurbishing the Dog Kennel Hill estate rather than tearing down. I think those old Corporation of London estates are structuarlly sound and well built, but were not loked after as well as they could have been.

I hope they remembered to evict the squatters before they bricked all the window and doors up. For the record the squatters weren't that bad and they actually tried to clean the place up a bit (with plants etc). Still, I live round the corner and wont be complaining that they are sorting this building out

Giz

"I think those old Corporation of London estates are structuarlly sound and well built, but were not loked after as well as they could have been."

DKH estate was never a Corporation of London Estate, it was previously owned by the GLC before it passed into the ownership of Southwark Council in 1986. City of London owned and managed estates, of which there quite a few scattered South London, have always been properly maintained and well managed. However, I believe they had the luxury of being able to be selective about which tenants they agreed to take, unlike other 'local authorities'.

"Well, there you go."

Indeed. Glad to be of assistance.

Anyway, does anyone actually know what exactly is happening to the DKH estate? Are there any websites with information on the plan?

I know one block at the end of Quorn Road was gutted and changed to key worker housing, but is that what's happening to the rest of the estate?

There's a dirty great sign half way up Dog Kennel Hill that tells you exactly what is happening.

Well, its not exactly half way up the hill and as there is no project plan, budget or KPIs on the sign, it is not exact.

The Estate is being refurbished in consultation with the residents. Which residents are being consulted is also not identified.

The estate is being refurbed, new kitchens, bathrooms and double glazing. The old laundry rooms in the roof space are being converted to luxury apartments and sold privatly to help fund the refurb, if I were looking for a luxury appartment in ED I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be in the roof of a council block!

The block on the corner of Ivanhoe and Bromar is the only one being demolished and will be rebuilt as another block, was going to be 5 stories but that was a couple of years ago so that may well have changed by now.

Indeedy the squatters were evicted, I have the photographic evidence just incase it turned nasty! There were 13 council people and community wardens there to evict 4 people! They did go quietly though, left their plants behind too!