Derelict garden - advice pls

Hi all. I live next door to a large house in multiple occupancy. There?s a big garden that has been totally neglected for the last few years and is now a complete jungle, with bindweed, vines and brambles galloping over the fences. There are foxes living there and we frequently hear fighting - in fact some neighbours have recently expressed concern over the safety of their cats. Polite emails to the landlord, who lives locally, are met with lame excuses or silence. Just posting to ask if anyone has advice as to what we can do in this situation, if anything. Thanks.

We have a large wild plot next to us - mares tail ,bindweed ,brambles ,nettles ,ivy ,6 'high grass ,sycamores .

I have learnt to live with it and enjoy the peace and quiet .I cut the ivy and pull out the weeds along my boundary .Though I do curse the sycamores .

There are foxes and they do sometimes bring their food findings into my garden to eat which is not pleasant . But I tell myself that maybe they deter rats .

There are a number of cats around ( we have 2 ourselves ) and they are ,and have been for many years ,fine .No fox attacks .And squirrels all seem to thrive .

Hope this reassures you a bit ,try not to worry .

I once saw a fox being chased up Denmark Hill by a cat - cats do seem to be much more confident/aggressive than foxes on the whole.

I think the problem is for you being able to put up with the fighting and mating and the sycamore windfalls, but your cats should be ok.

we had a bit of open ground next door but houses have been built on it, so we are now overlooked and the peace and (relative) quiet is gone, much to our regret

it is probable that the garden is the responsibility of the tenants which is why the landlord will not act-until the tenants leave then he will get them to clear the garden. You could get advice from the council but you may have to just deal with your boundary- or speak to the tenants yourself

We used to have a similar problem with the wild patch (can't call it a garden) next door. Every summer I would send a note to the tenant, appealing to their sense of cleanliness and neighbourliness (we even offered to send someone round ourselves the first time!). This would result in an annual blitz, which at least helped for a while. Now we have new neighbours who take an interest and look after what has once again become a garden. So try approaching the neighbours first? Offer to help? Good luck!

It's a shame it's unused space if the tenants want to actively garden in it. But like others have said, if there's nothing that can be done, think of the positives - there are so few wild spaces in London so at least this will be a little haven for wildlife, which is in turn good for the biodiversity of your garden.

And you're not being woken by the sound of building work/kids playing/chickens or whatever everyone else seems to be complaining about at the moment!

Hi HelBel, I would suggest contacting Southwark's Environmental Services dept. Usually tenants are responsible for garden maintenance, but you are saying that they can't access it? Do you know if it's an official HMO? If there 5 or more residents on more than 2 floors it would need official permission to operate as such. I'm concerned that you have mentioned lack of access to the garden, as depending on where the stairs are situated this may be a fire exit from the building. It is a bit odd that the tenants want to maintain the garden and the landlord doesn't let them.

Renata

It?s dusty because it is one of the best plants there is for collecting and trapping pollution. So further to your post, another positive is that your air is being cleaned by these wonderful plants.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> PS cutting the ivy back is tricky - don't try it

> in hot or dry weather as it is incredibly dusty .

I?m in a similar situation but on the other side. When the house was turned into flats, the freeholder kept 2/3rds of the garden as it has private access - along with the plot next door.

When we acquired the freehold, we asked about also getting the back of the garden as it?s completely overgrown and has had nothing done to it in the last 20 years. He refused as, we believe, he hopes to build out it some day despite numerous tree preservation orders being in place.