My family lived in palace road in the40s

freddy10

My family lived in palace road in the 40s.And a street party was held to mark VE day.A photo was taken must have been by a photographer to mark the event.We had a copy that has been lost,it showed my mum with me on her lap as a baby and my 2 sisters sitting by her side,this was the only picture that existed of me as a baby.Does anyone out there have a copy please I would love to hear from anyone that can help.I have now found out the party was held in Pleydell road SE19 and ou address was 55 Palace road SE19

Shorty did you know the Clapp sisters who lived on CP road near CP tavern in one of the town houses opposite what's now a hairdressing trade supplier ?

They moved out in the mid-eighties so I understand and went to separate retirement homes, both died within a week.

They lived next door to Mr Cannon, a builder of Irish descent.

Hello Computedshorty Names my sister Pat remembers are,Barley Carn and Peter Carn.We only lived at Crystal Palace for the first 5 years of my life moving then to Herne hill ubtill 1959.But the names I remember are Watson the boy had red hair and they lived upstairs,and,I remember Pullen.

Sue.

You may remember that Palace Road from your school to Streatham Hill was an unmade road, in the fifties I was working as a driver for Francis and Son a High Class Grocer nearly facing Tulse Hill Station, I delivered to most of the houses in the area, thinking back I had to mark their Ration Books as things were still Rationed.

Kid.

I used the Crystal Palace Pub, the Clapp sisters would have been far older than myself, although I saw many people I dont recall the name.

Freddy.

Can you give your family name and the address or approximatly where they lived.

I seem to remember a local Photograther " Jerome " who had a Golden statue in the shop window of a woman's bust upper half with six arms.

Freddy. Sorry our Messages have overlapped I got called away.

I have solved your Request.

You are looking in the wrong area.

You should enquire near Crystal Palace Railway Station that is in SE 19.

Across Anerley Hill facing is Palace Road.

All your roads are there:

Palace Square.

Pleydell Road.

Sorry I could not help more.

Shorty.

freddy10 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello.Thanks for replys.I thought the address was

> Palace road,but as it was in Crystal

> palace,Crystal palace road must be the right

> address.Again many thanks,and keeping my fingers

> crossed.

xxxxxx

Crystal Palace Road is, confusingly, in East Dulwich SE22, not Crystal Palace/Upper Norwood SE19 :)

computedshorty Wrote:

> Sue.

> You may remember that Palace Road from your

> school to Streatham Hill was an unmade road, in

> the fifties I was working as a driver for Francis

> and Son a High Class Grocer nearly facing Tulse

> Hill Station, I delivered to most of the houses in

> the area, thinking back I had to mark their Ration

> Books as things were still Rationed.

xxxxxxx

Yes that's right, it was unmade, it was parallel to Christchurch Road which wasn't unmade.

It's all changed now down there, it used to be great big houses (including my primary school) in both Palace Road and Christchurch Road, now it seems to be mostly flats.

Don't remember Francis and Son as we lived in Streatham, our local grocer was Peachells just opposite Streatham Station, or else Home and Colonial on the hill up towards St Leonard's Church.

Don't remember either of them being particularly high class, but I do remember ration books :))

Also remember the first supermarket opening, it was a (what would be now) small Waitrose, very exciting serving yourself with a basket and smelling chicken on a spit!

Sorry admin, as you were ....

computedshorty Wrote:

> You should enquire near Crystal Palace Railway

> Station that is in SE 19.

> Across Anerley Hill facing is Palace Road.

> All your roads are there:

> Palace Square.

> Pleydell Road.

> Sorry I could not help more.

> Shorty.

xxxxxxx

You could try asking in the bookshop in the Crystal Palace Triangle, can't remember it's name but they seem to be quite involved in SE19 community events.

Good idea Computedshorty. Freddy10, the bookshop Computedshorty means in Crystal Palace is The Crow on the Hill. They have a website you could google.

Sue Wrote:

> computedshorty Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > You should enquire near Crystal Palace Railway

> > Station that is in SE 19.

> > Across Anerley Hill facing is Palace Road.

> > All your roads are there:

> > Palace Square.

> > Pleydell Road.

> > Sorry I could not help more.

> > Shorty.

>

> xxxxxxx

>

> You could try asking in the bookshop in the

> Crystal Palace Triangle, can't remember it's name

> but they seem to be quite involved in SE19

> community events.

This picture was taken after the end of the War V.E Day ( Victory in Europe ) not confuse the other War still raging at the same time, that ended later called V.J. Day (Victory in Japan )

The Street Party was arranged by the mothers, for the younger children, of Lordship Lane from about the Plough to Heber Road.

It was held in Milo Road as trams still ran in Lordship Lane on double tracks taking up most of the road.

All the women helped even if they had no children of their own, they used their rations saved over the years of sugar and dried currents and raisins and dried fruit to make cakes, jellies. Fresh fruit was also in short supply but it was there on the linen sheet table cloths that were on the tables. Big Cakes, a foot square iced with ?We Won? written on them. It was mostly the women who served on the children who had never seen such a spread in their lives, a few Soldiers ( Dads ) are in the picture but mostly still away in the Forces. The children made the Bunting and Paper Chains that hung on the fences at Beauval Road end. There were games and singing

Centre of picture is my younger sister and brother, makes one think that those children are now 73.

The tables and forms were borrowed from the Church on the corner of Goodrich Road.

Music was played on a wind up Gramophone, and there was dancing until it got dark, as there was no street lighting the party had to finish , taking all the things back to the Church.

I was not there as I had reached fourteen and left school and no longer classed as a child, I was working on bombed houses.