Trousers for skinny/slim toddlers?

rachel83

Can anyone recommend some clothing brands suitable for a slim but tall (nearly) 3 year old. Now that she is out of nappies, trousers just won't stay up, even 12 - 18 months are a bit too big, but her legs are too long for them. Trousers with elasticated waists aren't much better as they are still quite bulky. Thanks!

Either online, or there's a store in Bromley where you could go and try before you buy. Their stuff tends to be quite expensive, but they do great sales a few times a year which are worth looking out for (I tend to stock up in the sale for the following year!). It washes really well and is really good quality.

I was going to suggest Gap, as their fit worked well for my slim toddler, but I see you say they are too baggy. Have you tried their skinny leggings? I found them to be the only ones that were actually tight fitting and not baggy! I also had some good hello kitty jeans from H&M - I found she needed a size far smaller than her actual age so maybe try that?

No joy with skinny jeans from Gap, just gave a couple of pairs to the charity shop earlier this week. We have some in age 2 that are slim fit and they are baggy in the bum and short in the leg. We are currently buying 12 - 18 months in normal shops but the legs are ludicrously short.

Even "jeggings" are baggy although I did once have a pair that fitted but I can't remember the brand!

12-18 month Zara trousers fit my skinny 2.5yr old...but she is on the small side too. Mostly put her in Gap leggings now for ease of using the potty. Petit bateau was a good fit and Green Baby seem to be made for long skinny children so you may have some luck there.

Green Baby is lovely, not least because you know their stuff wasn't made by children in Bangladesh, but also for their vivid designs. Definitely for skinnies: my once-chubby, now-solid elder sprog never looked right in their clothes. They've recently expanded into clothes for older children, I think up to 8. Last I looked, the nearest shop is Greenwich. We tend to shop online and wait for the sale!

I've had a similar problem with my daughter, and my Mum managed to track down some adjustable, elasticated belts that help to keep her trousers up. It's not a perfect solution but it does help. If you shop around you can get them in a few different colours:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boys-Girls-Childrens-Snake-Belts/dp/B00319TXW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316692686&sr=8-1

I have a very skinny 6 year old and recently bought some skinny cords from Next - they come in 3 fittings, skinny, regular and plus fit and the skinny ones are great - much less bunching up round the waist (but still adjustable) and much narrower in the leg - also got school trousers, equally as good. The only thing is that I think they only do the variations in the "older girls" range - but that starts at age 3 so you might be ok?

I have this repeated problem in buying trousers for one of my twin girls - she has even developed a habit of constantly holding her trousers up when she is running as they are always falling down.

However, M and S have a good range in adjustable waistbands which I think are the best. Trouser legs are normally a bit long but better to have turn ups than falling down trousers any day!