Update - Harris School pupils fighting in the street

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I hate the 'boys will be boys', 'just a bit of a

> scrap' mentality. It causes so much damage to boys

> and to society generally. I think we often take

> violence far too lightly.

I don't advocate it, but back in the day it was sometimes the only way to stop being bullied (school was a bit like prison back then).

Although I do remember being called a f***t and saying nothing "mother: don't let them do that you should stop them blah blah" then 6 months later same thing except i go hurtling in ... grounded with a huge row on using violence. But you told me to ... no I didn't.

rendelharris Wrote:

> Sorry, pompous I know but I do feel quite strongly

> it shouldn't be seen as "just kids" - I've seen

> firsthand how this stuff can quickly escalate into

> very serious shit indeed.

Agreed, and frankly although they are 'kids', the two who were fighting could easily be mistaken for 20 year olds - they were both bigger than I am.

dulwichbloke Wrote:

> Mick Mac Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Yes - initially looked a bit heavy handed to

> get

> > the police involved, to me. But then with knife

> > crime so prevalent, best to do so.

> >

> > Assuming it was just a fight, suggestions of a

> > criminal record are laughable.

>

> The Police were only called because one boy was

> knocked over twice by punches in the space of

> about a minute, the second time hitting his head

> (loudly) on the kerb. It wasn't stopping, so I was

> concerned someone might get properly injured if it

> carried on.

>

> As for criminal convictions/records, I never

> raised that as a possibility (and I don't think it

> is). I would have thought it is now a School

> matter (together with the Safer Schools PC

> liaison). Now it's over, what I am hoping is that

> those concerned are discouraged from having

> serious punch-ups in my street. While some might

> like to describe it (almost sentimentally) as

> "just your classic school scrap", my young

> children don't need to be frightened by seeing

> violence like that on their doorstep, nor do they

> need to witness 15 (to them, very big) kids

> shouting, swearing and being aggressive towards

> each other. Indeed, several passing school kids

> (who were not involved) looked positively

> terrified by it.

>

> So, no, it was a rather nasty fight and very

> unpleasant to see, but nothing like as serious as

> a street robbery or GBH.

My post did say, as regards calling the Police, "best to do so"

I thought I would post something to say that the School did indeed take this seriously and not only responded very quickly to my contacting them, but dealt with the matter in a timely and efficient manner. The HT and safer schools liaison also helpfully explained to me what they had/were doing to address the issue with the individuals concerned). I thought it only fair to mention this by way of update, so that any parents of children at the school can be assured that it was dealt with effectively and in a very professional manner.

tash b Wrote:

> My son goes There and yes mr groves and pc Marcus

> will take it very seriously, I?m surprised no

> teachers turned up they follow the boys some

> distance a lot of the time to avoid these

> situations.

Glad to hear, I never had any doubt when I read your post that they wouldn?t.