Make Cycling easier for people who want to be Green

I used to cycle regularly, circumstances make me unable to at present. If a situation arose where it was necessary to get on the pavement, I walked the bike. I don't think there is any justification for cycling on the pavement and cyclists who do try to justify it are, in my view, wrong. The fact that there are nutter car drivers and pedestrians who walk out into the road in front of you without looking is neither here nor there.

I don't think there is any

> justification for cycling on the pavement and

> cyclists who do try to justify it are, in my view,

> wrong.

how about Home Secretaries of the elected government justifying it (see the quote above)? Or do you think rules and guidelines are for other people and not yourself?

Pardon me but asking whether I think the rules and guidelines are not for me is specious.

What exactly are the criteria mentioned in the quote? Children under, I think, 11 are allowed to cycle on the pavement anyway and I can see that the quote above allows for older kids or somewhat elderly persons to be allowed to also, but it is entirely subjective and lends no justification to you (I assume you are an adult), as a responsible (adult) cyclist you should be on the road or walking the bike.

Obviously this is only my opinion and I wouldn't dream of assuming that the elected government could possibly be in the wrong about anything and as you now have a green light to do it there is no more argument.

"it is entirely subjective and lends no justification to you (I assume you are an adult), as a responsible (adult) cyclist you should be on the road or walking the bike. "

I agree completely. I never cycle on the pavement, and would never seek to justify such behaviour from healthy lone adults such as myself.

Any cyclist who feels afraid of riding on the road would benefit from cycle training which should endow confidence via assertive road positioning. Accidents can happen any time (that is part of the process - constant risk assessment and anticipation) but in my long cycling experience, they rarely have happened. My worst incident was colliding with a pedestrian who stepped out while I hurtled down Charing X Rd. I was shaken but fine, but she was hurt. I hope she didn't suffer too badly. It was entirely her fault.

I am among the tiny number of riders who stop for red lights and obey the Highway Code. I always overtake the red light runners before the whole process is repeated at the next red light. I become increasingly frustrated by cyclists who ignore the rules and who in turn give cyclists a bad image. I was nearly hospitalised by an idiot undertaking me while I waited at the lights at the southbound side of Dog Kennel Hill. When I remonstrated later he seemed surprised that his action had been dangerous. If I had moved to the left six inches, it would have been very different.

If you want to do something about conditions for cyclists, join LCC/CTC/Critical Mass/lobby your local councillors/MP and probably most of all, set a good bleedin' example!

My only gripe with cyclists is the ones (minority I know) who feel they can go the wrong way down one way roads, and cycle down pedestrianised roads like they have right of way. It's bloody dangerous!

I remember often cycling up to Westminister, and that huge roundabout before the bridge was enough to make me sh!t myself everytime (not literally for the record).

I came off my bike and badly fractured my elbow in May. Can anyone give me any tips on how to get the courage to get back on my bike again? I so miss it and I have put on so much weight since I stopped cycling, it was also good for my mental health but I seem to make any excuse not to try to get back on it again. Any suggestions?

Try cycling in the parks for a bit at first. If you have a dog maybe you can take him to the park on your bike and teach your dog to trot beside you on the lead. It's an excuse to get out on your bike. Even without a dog, a half hour spin round the park is still a nice way to wake up.

I do it every morning with my dogs and despite wanting to roll back over to sleep when the alarm goes off, I drag myself out of bed and am glad for it because it always invigorates me and keeps me feeling more lively all day.

I've come off my bike loads of times, never broken anything thankfully, but had a few major injuries. It knocks your confidence a bit but you just need to start back slowly.

I'd also recommend a bit of weight training to build up strength, as that helps when you need to manoeuvre and control your bike or push for that little bit of speed when you need to get out of someone's way.

Mellors Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So, any ideas how we can go about getting Burgess

> Park lit at night to make it safer? Has anyone

> got experience of the Safer, Cleaner, Greener

> campaign and how to use it?

I would love to know. I spend a lot of time in Addington Square right opposite the park and not a week seems to go by without a new yellow 'serious incident' sign. It's bad enough cycling through there during the day to be honest. I'm moving to East Dulwich full time in Feb from Hackney and will need to get to Kennington/Walworth Rd area on a regular basis on my bike. I'm guessing that a route involving Burgess Park will be the best way to do that