Bi weekly bin collections

ratty

http://www.wrap.org.uk/local_authorities/research_guidance/online_recycling_information_system_oris/mapping.html

Have a look at this and ask WHY? is waste recycling not state of the art world class top drawer BEST in a country where our scientists know best/ do best/ invent best/ understand best. Why is it hit and miss and let's invent our own system? The man in charge of recycling in Southwark isn't an expert. He's not even that interested in the subject. It's an assignment and he's winging it as he goes and what we see on the street is just a series of hit and miss. Has anyone studied and compared the best of the world. And then gone to the next level? No. And it probably wouldn't be any more expensive than... oh let's try this now, oophs... what about this

Twirly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well, despite having emailed on 24 September

> asking for a kitchen caddy for myself and upstairs

> neighbour (since they only left one between three

> flats), we still haven't received anything.

Same here

I contacted them

On the 28th

Great idea Penguin68 and thank you for spotting this and telling everyone. Just use different colour lids.

consider this a formal request from me to the council and I'll let you know the answer.

If anyone has other great ideas OR has collection missed and after contacting the council hasn't had the missed collection collected that day - please tell me. Best via email as more or less whatever I'm doing I can read emails.

If I'm honest, I'm not too bothered about the new recycling system - I quite like that the smelly food is now separated from the rubbish (it makes taking the bins out a little less daunting). But what I don't understand is why the council haven't given our building more than 2 blue boxes to share (between 4 flats). I emailed them today to request one of the unsightly blue wheelie bins - I wonder if I'll get a response!

Sue Wrote:

> ejhturner Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It was our collection day today and they've

> left

> > all the food waste.

>

> xxxxxx

>

> Is it a different crew picking up the food waste

> maybe?

Our food & garden waste was also left in the medium brown bin/caddy although they did empty the large blue bin.

I thought I'd got the days wrong but have just checked and today was a brown and blue day.

I await a response from Southwark.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> My food waste wasn't collected either. Do I take

> it in or leave it out? Might these be a new source

> of scran for the local foxes?

xxxxxx

I'm not bringing mine back in again, it stinks of orange peel which has gone mouldy :-S

I doubt foxes could get in if the bin is properly closed.

And if we mess up and put the wrong stuff in the wrong bin we could face hefty fines...

I suspect Southwark Council will be out with their cameras and clip boards , waiting for people to

transfer their food waste to their green bin for the thursday collection.

Fox

And the "report a missed collection" page on the council's website helpfully guides you through the whole process, only to end up on: "I am sorry, but we are unable to deal with your enquiry now."

What colour bin do you put unwanted council staff in?

tomsav Wrote:

> No brown bin collection here either. Come on

> Southwark, don't stuff it all up in Week One!

xxxxxx

Has anybody else apart from me reported this to the council?

Because when I phoned them just now they said they'd report mine as a "miscollection" and it would be collected within 48 hours :))

When I said it wasn't just mine which hadn't been collected, they more or less said they would only know if people reported it. Then they said maybe it was just my road which had been accidentally missed out.

I'm on Ulverscroft Road. Is anybody else whose brown bin hasn't been emptied on a different road to that?

We've had no problems with the latest collections but on the few occasions in the past when our bin has got missed (hiding behind the hedge!), I have rung the main number 020 7525 2000 to report a miscollection. When dealing with Southwark I always send a confirmation email ([email protected]) to confirm my telephone call, and restating the details, and that has has always brought results. If you don't report the problem they won't know. We all make mistakes sometimes - it's not fair to expect Southwark staff/contractors to be better then ourselves.

If there is a problem with the website (as tomsav found), I'm sure they would find it very helpful if you send an email to report the issue.