Bi weekly bin collections

ratty

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue - the real excitement starts when pools of

> liquid collect at the bottom of the bin (

> condensation I guess ) and the lid is all gunged

> up with coffee grounds .

> Guess who's not a good housekeeper :-$ ?

xxxxxx

Ah well, at least the council have provided binliners to use, though that may not prevent the coffee grounds gunge problem I guess .....

I still feel a little thrill every time I raise the lid - hadn't realised quite what a sad sad life I must lead :))

> Bit harsh Ratty - they do a good job and always

> seem to me to work incredibly hard and fast .

> I imagine having a new system to introduce must

> initially complicate their work and impede them in

> their duties .

Was not meant to be harsh and I was not frticising the recycling collectors. I fail to see how it came across as such. Hardest day of work in my life was a bin round!

Loz Wrote:

> Ladygooner Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Has anyone got their kitchen compost bins yet?

>

> There should have been one inside the small brown

> bin.

I didn't get a small brown bin since I already have a large brown bin. Guess i should contact the council

If anyone has a large blue recycling bin that they don't want could you please PM me as we will have it. We must be the only house in ED they didn't deliver the new bin to. I phoned Southwark and they were mystified by this and our neighbours have the new blue bins so it seems like an error. The person I spoke to at Southwark said it could be 'a while' before we get ours. Our two blue boxes are overflowing and no collection due for over a week !!@!!

> ( I rather like the colour myself .)

xxxxxx

There's nothing wrong with the colour - as a colour :)

It's just far too intrusive a colour to have on a bin in a neighbourhood where many houses have nowhere to store the bin except in front of their houses in full view of the street.

Just my opinion, obviously. Maybe others like to be confronted with a sea of bright blue plastic clashing hideously with the plants and trees. At least the brown and green bin colours look vaguely natural.

The mess of plastic bins makes my road look an environmental disaster. I particularly like all the blue bins left on the pavement by people who have no reasonable space for them or simply (reasonably) don't want them on their property. Thank you Southwark you complete tools. Perhaps if you/government outlawed the ability of the ever-increasing numbers of businesses/people to deliver what accounts for the 99.9% of the crap that comes through my letterbox, including from Southwark, then we would not all need these apalling plastic eyesores on our property/roads.

(I heven't read all the other comments, so sorry in advance for any repetition)

I have to broadly agree with Ziggy and others: the new blue wheelie bins are both a major eye sore (why such a zingy blue?) and a logistical nightmare. I am all in favour of both recycling and efficiency/cost effectiveness, but it now feels like the appearance of the front of my house (indeed the whole area) is being dictated by those concerns (and yet, if I want to change the appearance of my windows I need to apply for permission...).

Does anyone (James Barber?) know whether the visual appearance of our neighbourhoods was considered before this decision was taken? At the very least I would imagine that a little bit of creativity could have come up with something much less visually (and spatially) intrusive.

As an example, one of my neighbours has their green bin covered in a beech hedge pattern plastic wrap, which neatly disguises it (just googled and found e.g. this).

gm99 Wrote:

> As an example, one of my neighbours has their

> green bin covered in a beech hedge pattern plastic

> wrap, which neatly disguises it (just googled and

> found e.g. this).

xxxxxxx

I've resisted these covers for ages, but I now reckon they would be preferable to bright blue. I quite fancy the Cottage Garden version :)

Though I'm going for (a pile of) boxes rather than a bin.

I don't believe a visual assessment was made before the proposed changes.

Southwark have a streetscape guide and team and I don't believe they were conuslted.

The shade of blue of the new blue wheelie bins seems far brighter than the shade of previous blue wheelie bins.

The older shade isn't anywhere as offensive as the new shade of blue.

Anyone heated about this want to ask a public question about this at the next council assembly?

IF anyone does get in touch with me.

James Barber Wrote:

> I don't believe a visual assessment was made

> before the proposed changes......The shade of blue of the new blue wheelie bins

> seems far brighter than the shade of previous blue

> wheelie bins.

> The older shade isn't anywhere as offensive as the

> new shade of blue.

>

> Anyone heated about this want to ask a public

> question about this at the next council assembly?

> IF anyone does get in touch with me.

Seriously James? You really think the colour of our bins is the most important question that can be posed at the next council assembly?

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I don't believe a visual assessment was made

> > before the proposed changes......The shade of

> blue of the new blue wheelie bins

> > seems far brighter than the shade of previous

> blue

> > wheelie bins.

> > The older shade isn't anywhere as offensive as

> the

> > new shade of blue.

> >

> > Anyone heated about this want to ask a public

> > question about this at the next council

> assembly?

> > IF anyone does get in touch with me.

>

>

> Seriously James? You really think the colour of

> our bins is the most important question that can

> be posed at the next council assembly?

xxxxxx

Nobody's suggesting it's "the most important" question, are they?

I happen to think that the visual environment is extremely important to people's mental health. These bins are like visual noise.

If the relevant team wasn't consulted before they were introduced, then I think that's terrible. But I guess too late now to change the bins.

I find I have too much stuff for my green bin, am I the only one? The brown bin is far too big for our needs, and this is the only one which gets emptied weekly (for obvious reasons). A brown bin share or half size brown bin would seem to be the way forward. I don't know why they think we need a full sized brown bin when they only give us enough compostable bags for 2 a week. Do people put food waste into their brown bins without putting it in a green compostable bag first?

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi Sue,

> I was highlighting an outlet for people that few

> know is available to them.

> Equally anyone can ask a public question about any

> subject related to what the council does or should

> do.

xxxxxxx

Did you mean this to be in reply to Bellenden Belle's post??

Hey, lets spend...I don't know...?10,000+ doing a 'visual assessment' on our garden bins! I have finally got what I what and perhaps ... the environment (like the world, not my teeny tiny bit of ED) needs. I am incredibly happy with my many assorted bins - front garden is now going to need some moving about to make them fit but 'for the greater good...' etc.

Well done Southwark!