Bi weekly bin collections

ratty

I have been very impressed with the way waste and recycling has been handled here (we have been part of the pilot scheme) especially compared to Wandsworth where we lived before.

We are a family of 3, with the little one still in nappies (I am gutted to have never quite got into reusable nappies but that's another story).

We manage well with the very small brown caddy in the kitchen for food waste - needs fairly frequent emptying but we seem to manage with the slightly larger one that lives outside - it lasts about a week before it's pretty full (could be a problem for a large family). If you have a proper garden, then it's worth starting composting at home as well or getting a wormery.

They now take so much dry recycling (delighted to hear tetra paks are now included) so the "normal" bin in the kitchen takes a lot of time to fill. Nappies are the only issue but as long as they are bagged they can go straight outside into the green bin - it has a good firmly shut lid so I'm not sure why there is a concern about smell - it ain't pretty if you get too close but keep your head out of it and you'll be fine.

As for the Daily Mail - I have to try not to think about it, as the smoke that comes out of my ears at the very thought of it is probably polluting the atmosphere...

so presumably we're supposed to just leave the compostible bags of food waste out overnight for foxes, cats etc to rip into?

I would really like to hear Southwark's ( or anyone else's ) idea as to how food waste recycling will work for those people who have no space for any bins .

As I've said before my mother is in this category - at the moment her mixed household waste is precariously ( plus carefully timed to co incide as nearly as poss to collection time )balanced on her windowsill .

I would not want to start balancing bags of food waste there - smell through window and attraction of animals .

No there's really no room ,front door opens directly on to very narrow pavement .

Her terrace is not even provided with wheelie bins in first place .

Guess the idea must be to leave it out there ,suppose it seems alien idea because they've never had any bins before .

But must be others in similar position ,wonder what answer could be ?

Our front door also opens directly onto the pavement, but it's not especially narrow and we do have green wheelie bins provided. The small brown one for food though, is so much smaller and would fit even on a narrow pavement. Would need to keep in kitchen (or ideally backyard) for the week and then just put it out on bin night. No more obtrusive than a bag of rubbish and more fox-proof.

The Minkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lol.. How much food waste do you expect to be

> producing and how large a bin do you want sitting

> on your kitchen countertop?

Just had a kids party, not uncommon when you have children. Lots of food left over. Would easily fill this tiny brown "bin" in one fell swoop. Can anyone lend me a pig?

Yes we've been wondering about the brown paper sacks that you get from the library etc for garden waste. Can see no mention of them on the leaflet we've received? They're ideal when you've no room for your own compost bin, we can keep a supply folded up in a cupboard until we need them rather than having a large garden waste bin sitting outside all the time?

Totally agree with all the complaints about bins. I have very small front garden which is now not a garden but a bin store. Don't they realise that people want their environment to look good? My equally small kitchen is now supposed to be full of rotting food. We already have rats in our back garden. I tried ringing Southwark to see if I could keep my old recyling box and return the blue bin, but of course the switchboard didn't know the answer and no-one has returned my call, as promised

How much has all this cost us council tax payers?

Lynne

another annie Wrote:

> Yes we've been wondering about the brown paper

> sacks that you get from the library etc for garden

> waste. Can see no mention of them on the leaflet

> we've received? They're ideal when you've no room

> for your own compost bin, we can keep a supply

> folded up in a cupboard until we need them rather

> than having a large garden waste bin sitting

> outside all the time?

xxxxxxxx

Yes me too, plus the green woven sacks.

I don't want a brown wheelie bin sitting outside all year in my tiny front garden just for the few weeks when I actually fill it. The fold-up bags plus smaller brown food waste box are much more convenient.

another annie Wrote:

> Yes we've been wondering about the brown paper

> sacks that you get from the library etc for garden

> waste. Can see no mention of them on the leaflet

> we've received? They're ideal when you've no room

> for your own compost bin, we can keep a supply

> folded up in a cupboard until we need them rather

> than having a large garden waste bin sitting

> outside all the time?

I emailed the council and this is the reply:

The Brown garden waste bag system will not be effected

Thank You

Environment Services

[email protected]

020 7525 2000

So I'm assuming they mean that and we can still get bags!

Well I'm feeling very left out! They delivered new bins to all the houses on my street earlier this week (looks ridiculous now, as some houses have 7 or 8 bins in their front gardens of various colours), but between three flats we got one kitchen caddy and three new blue boxes! I've just emailed the council to get it sorted, and get one of our green bins removed, though I imagine they will be pretty much inundated so it'll be interesting to see how long it takes them to get back to me.

Presumably Southwark will generally have far too many green bins now. What is going to happen to them all?