What name to give to private parts?

But why do you think that sounds odd? Is it just b/c that's not what you grew up with? If I heard that on the playground, I would think, Hurrah for that little girl who knows what her body parts are called!!

Sorry, to me the word 'vulva' sounds too adult and medical coming out of a small child's mouth. It's like if a child talked about their anus instead of their bum, or defecating instead of pooing. Technically correct, of course, but just ... weird.

But you're right, Saffron, different strokes for different folks!

And also different names for different times. When we're having a laugh in the bath together, we call it 'mummie fanny' and 'baby fanny'. But when we're pointing and naming body parts, we call it a vulva. That's just as we might say 'footsies' when we play with eachother's feet, but I'd say 'foot' when naming the body part.

sophiec, funny as i thought about it after and i actually told him several names i told him vagina, and penis at the time (I don't know annyone who actually uses the term vulva) but when we mentionn these bodily parts, I realises i also use the terms minnie, noonie, and willy. so I just told him several names that other people used he understands penis but just uses the word his most comfortable with which is minie and willy, works for me.

thanks for everyone's contributions! Having given it some thought I agree with redjam - the point is probably less what actual term you use, and more the way in which you use it to create open and free communication that makes the difference. So i am just going to go with the name that I use confidently for myself, and see how we go. :)