Parking Problems when shopping on the Lane?

Have the exact same problem. Takes me an absolute age to find somewhere to park my jeep. I reckon we should petition the council. I - for one- can't be on a bike! UIts far too cold! Also, my hair gets frizzy if I expose it too much to the elements. May be they can knock down some council housing and build a car park? If anyone out there has any influence with the council, give me a post,

Hugs and Kisses xxx:))

Good thinking Brendan! Maybe we can get the council to convert some of them in to garages for your row and keep enough space to build a carpark for those of us that need to park for our shopping. I have a right to be drive as much as those who have a right to walk and ride thire bike. The parking situation has been getting me and Leon (my partner) down for quite a while now. I'm glad that there are others who agree with me. Also, I've got a 2 year old and a 3 year old, who can't walk in the cold. Jaden gets chapped skin and Laisha gets asthma. So, I think the council should get off their backsides and do something. They obviously have never heard of the Human Rights Act.

I'm probably the kinda of driver that Mr. Macghaban would like to hear from, as I have been known to drive to the Plough (usually because I have about 6 Scrabble boards and stuff) Mag (because I don't like walking up hills, and I can offer other people a lift home from the quiz) & EDT (usually working from EDT and then picking up my husband after a boozy after work drinks) from Friern Road.

I have no problem parking in ED even on a Saturday, although I probably don't go down the lane as often as I would if I wasn't driving.

I don't have children, I just like driving more than I like drinking alcohol. And I only passed my test 3 years ago so for 10years of not driving I've probably not damaged the planet as much as someone who has been driving since they were 18yrs.

We're all happy drivers Sean. Not all of us want to wear clothes from Oxfam; wear straw hats; patronsie poor people by calling them "humble"; roll cigarettes; call our children Ralph or Toby and like the smell of our own farts. Some of us are just trying to live man! We all could do without being criticised by people who wear cashmere swearters round their shoulders and keep on bleeting on about Iraq! Just leave us be, man! Me and Leon have worked bloody hard to get where we are. We both were brought up on a council estate with absolutely NOTHING. Now we've bettered ourselves and worked to get ourself a car, middle class nobs like you move in to the area and are criticising us...

I walk when in East Dulwich - except for the way home from Sainsbury's when I have more than one 'bag for life' on the go.

Sometimes when I do have bare, BARE stuff (sorry Keef) I try to walk it and have ended up getting on the P13 outside Co-op pharmacy ALL THE WAY to the CPT (where I have a pint and then go home to do drunk cooking.

If I had a car and a license I'd probably do the Sainsbury's run in it, but then I wouldn't be able to fit it all in the fridge...

As for driving to LL, I think that would be silly given my location. I hardly go to LL anyway..

sorry that was pretty long and it took me a while to get to the point.. won't happen again.

I would recommend hopping up to the top of the Lane and then hopping back - using different legs you can double the exercise and use only one shoe - thus reducing your carbon footprint.

Once we have all done this for about 6 months we will have saved so much carbon that we can ecologically afford to make a big bonfire of all the ED cars on Goose Green. All cars except mine of course, I need that to get to Sainsbos to buy my startlingly red meat, the vegetables required for Sunday lunch trips to the Plough and to drive up and down Zenoria Road trying to find a parking space so that I can visit the ED Warehouse without becoming chilled.

TillieTrotter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Try dragging your moaning sons down to the lane

> and walking back with bags full of shopping. You

> do sometimes seem to forget that other people's

> lives arent arranged the same as yours Mr M.

Tillie - not sure how old your sons are but my teenage sons accompany me (sometimes - more so when a mini monty at Blue Mountain comes into the equation) when I go shopping by bike. A pleasant 10 min ride and I can pack ost of a week's food shopping into two saddlebags and rucsac. I admit for "big" shopping it's JS Sainsbury once a month using the car - it's quick, efficient and shopping for toilet rolls, washing up liquid and cereals isn't fun shopping. Food shopping by bike on LL is fun shopping.

Firstly Jah, I bet your mother didnt own a dish washer or an underwired bra etc, but that doesnt mean she wouldnt have wanted one if they were available. Thats a rubbish argument. She did it because she had to!!

MM, my kids are actually old enough not to moan about it but being the brats that they are, they do. Also as a family of five greedy fat barstewards my shopping trips always involve at least half a dozen bags and as I said I'm usually popping into shops/libraries up and down the lane. Please bear in mind that this doesnt usually happen more than once per week.

I could, if I wasnt a self indulgent, lazy arsed, unorganized woman, be more conscious of my actions with regard to the environment, but Cest La Vie.

The End

Haha I like you Lady Lumps.

I've passed my test and can finally drive woo! I've also bought my car and love her to bits, she has totally made my life easier! Public transport is rubbish, those who bang on about using it obviously aren't out from 7am until 2 am every day with uni and work, taking several trains all over London, which consistantly makes them late and then getting the night bus home and being followed to your door. (Has happened to me now lots of times, with one very close call!) I would rather drive slowly in traffic, I know how long it will take me and I am always on time now, I don't have to wait for buses and trains which are late or overcrowded so I can't get on them. Many a time I was so stressed and tired I'd come home in tears or feel like I was gonna have a heart attack, at 21 this is not good!

I intend to drive everywhere, including LL, I live off the Rye in The Gardens, only because it is very cold now, in summer I love to walk to places that are nearby!

I have no kids, except for my 18month old sister who I look after 2 days a week so mt mum can go to work :P

Nero I think you'll find if you leave the house tomorrow at 7am and you're out allday until 2am, you will be cold and would much rather take the car home than travelling on a bus and getting stalked home. If I go anywhere nearby like LL, I will be going straight to another job after, as I work right through the week, so no nice calm crisp winter walk then back home to warm up and relax, I'll be going rushing back out to work, so I get what I need jump back in the car drive to the job, so much easier than the running around I've been doing for the last 3 years, juggling uni and my self employed work with pays my rent and uni fees, and trying to fit everything in and wasting time on public transport.

People who should use cars: disabled people, elderly and infirm, people with young children. At a stretch, young women travelling at night. (see Kerri's post)

People who shouldn't use cars. Healthy men.

Look at the buses - the wrong people are using them. Look at the roads. How many single male drivers?

Kerri out "at 7am and you're out all day until 2am" Jeez girl, you getting by on about 3/4 hrs sleep.

Here we go again with this "one size fits all" mentality.

How about healthy men whose route is poorly served by public transport? Or have to travel earlier than the trains run? Or people who have been assaulted on public transport and no longer feel safe? Or who regularly transport large/heavy items?

Actually, they should make ED easier for parking - Its SO difficult to park on Ashboune grove now with the dropped kerb frenzy and what little spaces are left are too small for my black Merc 4x4 / Company Volvo v90 / Range rover / Audi Q8 ( or whateve this monstrosity is called )

especially when the snorklets are playing up after pianao class and refuse to be pacified by their monekty music CD until they have had their mon petit chou babychino fix.

Jeremy, who is going anywhere with a "one size fits all" mentality? My post was deliberately provocative to point out that generally speaking, fit healthy guys are the ones behind the wheel when they don't need to be and vulnerable people are at the bus stop when they surely have more need to be in a car.