Increase in Aircraft Noise

SCSB79,

Yes the noise really does bother me. I am trying to make the point that I have a quiet place to live in a side street with very little traffic noise and I do remember when we had the deafening Concorde flights a couple of times a day, but now there is no break from the sound all day. In spite of statistic quoted above, I know from living here for so long that it's never been this bad - that's a fact.

There is no answer to it, it is just part of the world that we live in.

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This is my final post on this thread, as I think I've made enough comments.

I recently looked up the Civil Aviation Authority website and sent an e-mail to their contact section; I got a reply immediately which was very polite and very detailed. It seems that the local authority have no control over this matter and there is not regulation of the times of flights by airlines. Airlines could fly planes over ED for 24 hour a day if they wanted to but have restricted their flight times at their own discretion. As for actual volume of noise, I believe that you can complain in extreme circumstances. Meanwhile, we in ED will have to continue to cope with being on a very busy flight path as planes are stacked over the Bigging Hill area, then made their way to Heathrow, via the air space over south east London (us).

Roll on Boris' new airport!

Regards and thanks to all - I think that you had the best suggestion ibilly99.

I think anybody finding the noise bad should pop over to Barnes or Fulham or better still Hounslow for a few hours and when they came back they would find that the noise was really nothing to get worked up about. I lived in Slough in the 60s and that is to the west of Heathrow and right under the flight path of aircraft taking off and climbing very steeply to gain the height demanded. Coming over us the planes are virtually coasting but on that side of town the engines are at full thrust - now that is noisy. Aircraft engines now are much quieter than in those days. I remember the Caravelles were incredibly loud - I once threw myself out of bed and onto the floor convinced that one was coming straight for my bedroom window.

Give me aircraft noise any day rather than the thump thump of brainless music in cafes, bars and even banks. But that should be another story