Speeding on Barry Road

Thanks for organising this Pugwash. I was shocked by the number of vehicles vastly exceeding the speed limit.

The council is going to put out for consultation some proposals for speed calming measures in the coming weeks. I will keep you all posted.

Best wishes

James

jamesmcash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for organising this Pugwash. I was shocked

> by the number of vehicles vastly exceeding the

> speed limit.

>

> The council is going to put out for consultation

> some proposals for speed calming measures in the

> coming weeks. I will keep you all posted.

>

> Best wishes

> James

James thanks for taking an interest in this. Nevertheless I'm surprised that local person such as yourself would find the type of driving on display on Barry Road to a surprise. This has been a problem for years.

I hear that the Upland Road Team were clocking vehiclesm30 - 40 mph, we on the Etherow street end were getting mainly 26 - 30 mph with the theory that motorists were aware of approaching lights so slowed down slightly.

We noticed that more cars appeared to be speeding from the LL end towards the Rye - we will be doing this section next in September.

It appears, via discussions with various police officers, that the use of extended pavements along Barry have possibly increased the number of crashes as people have to pull out quite a way on the side roads to check for oncoming traffic.

When we did the Roadwatch monitoring on Barry Road a couple of years ago over a period of months, we noticed that the speeds and locations changed over the time of day and time of year. It was definitely faster down the hill towards the Rye, although the signalled junction of Barry and Lordship has been dangerous and dysfunctional for years (last week I actually spoke to an engineer replacing a damaged signal light that had been bent over by a car running into it).

The council put down speed measuring cables on the road at the top of Barry for the Quietway assessment, which is the best way of measuring speeding over a period of time... but I'm not sure if they did the whole road. The purpose of our original Roadwatch monitoring was specifically to get the council to put down the wires along the whole length of Barry Road by highlighting the problem sections with police witnesses.

Having said that, the highway engineer cited in my link above has come up with possibly the best way of addressing the speeding, without using speed humps that will cause the usual noise and vibration problems or average speed cameras won't work because of the stopping and starting nature of the road. But there will be a loss of parking as a result of these proposed measures... so residents will have to decide whether they want to control the speeding (and also prioritise pedestrians) or lose a bit of parking.

This is what will be consulted on in the autumn, which I think is a really productive way forward.

• 4 months later...

Hi, just came across this thread and wondered if there were any updates. I avoid Barry Road where I can, as the speeds people get up to are rather frightening if you have children. I took driving lessons a little while ago, and the number of vehicles that would well exceed the speed limit just to overtake me on a short stretch of the road, was incredible.

East Dulwich Road is pretty horrendous too. I live near Goose Green and hate the way they race between the traffic lights and the zebra crossing (and vice versa). Particularly those who do so in the bus lane, which is very alarming when you're walking alongside it with your children :(

I've lived just off Barry rd for 20 years and believe the speeding is getting worse. At the junction with Upland road with the pelican crossing cars often accelerate through the amber lights. It's terrifying. I've been complaining for years. I joined a speed awareness group on here and together with local police took part in speed camera action. Everyone knows it's a race track but no one seems capable of taking action. It's infuriating.

I also live off Barry road but haven't noticed much difference recently. Most dangerous thing I've seen driving on Barry road recently is near suicidal over taking of buses in to oncoming traffic.

In the area I'd say Milkwood road in herne hill which has speed bumps is the worst, regularly see cars going 40+ down it and the a215.

Lordship Lane - Speeding.

There is quite rightly much debate about speeding on Barry Road.

The problem also applies to Lordship Lane - from the Barry Road Junction to the Townley Road Junction.

This is a rather long and straight stretch of the Lane and sits on a steep incline and which seems to act as an inducement for drivers (both private and commercial) going up or down the Lane, to practise their speed driving skills.

The problem is not helped by the sloping of the Lane, (both up and down the Lane)which shortens the line of sight significantly for pedestrians and traffic using road.

There are the usual 20mph speed restrictions in place but other than that no other inducements for drivers to moderate their speed to an reasonable level on this stretch of the Lane.

It is not a race track.

It is becoming increasingly difficult for local residents including parents and their schoolchildren to manipulate their way around or through this increasingly fast moving

traffic.

How about some pedestrian crossings/lights at least ?

I have also found it pretty scary to cross Lordship Lane fairly near Milo Road as cars coming up the hill seem to continue to accelerate when they reach the flatter part of the road. It does certainly need a pedestrian crossing. This adds to the list of places locally where accidents have happened and will happen again. The Junction by the old Grove Tavern is another and East Dulwich Grove junction with Lordship Lane yet another.

I live on Dulwich Grove and cars and buses essentially race to the junction with Lordship lane; its ridiculous. The fact there are a number of schools and a hospital on the road so that there are many vulnerable people just makes it worse.

The Community Speedwatch programme has provided evidence of speeding and Southwark police have started doing their own speeding patrols and issuing penalties. I saw them on Blackfriars Bridge where buses and cars coming south reach high speeds.

If you want to support policing of speeding, a good place to start is Community Speedwatch which is run by PCSO Kevin Phillips and community volunteers. You can contact kevin on [email protected].

The same happen on East Dulwich road as it stretches all the way to Nunhead. Early in the morning and late at night is like living on a motorway edge. Noise pollution reach its peak and you can smell the fumes too!

Most definitely agree with the speed cameras and also speed bumps.

I have wrote to council several times and never got decent reply.

Maybe is worth putting a petition up?

• 2 weeks later...
Came here because have followed this thread for a while after witnessing speeding on Barry Road. Please can our local councillors do something about the repeated violation of the no parking white diagonal lines on the junction of Barry Road and Underhill Road? There is more often than not a van parked on them, obscuring the line of sight as you drive up Whateley Road to cross the Barry Road junction onto Underhill Road (as I have just done). It is incredibly dangerous and risks an accident. I have tried reporting it to the council but got no response.

Cgavassoni,

You suggest a petition. At the moment this would be futile.

The Council recently put up a proposal, aimed at reducing speed on Barry Road, and consulted the Community. The scheme included 5 traffic islands, creating slaloms to slow the traffic. The Council has shelved that proposal because, they say, there were objections against the loss of parking adjacent to those islands.

This was announced at the recent Dulwich Community Council Meeting. The hall was packed for the agenda item on Controlled Parking Zones, and emptied immediately after that item; few stayed on to hear the outcome of the Barry Road speeding consultation.

This raises a few questions.

All those who had attended the meeting to shout for or against the CPZ ? do they care about safety on Barry Road?

The blanket use of double yellow lines on dropped kerbs will remove loads of parking spaces in the proposed CPZ, including Barry Road, which the Council promises will improve traffic flow ? ie speed it up. Why back off from removing a few more to create a slalom to slow the traffic down? Does the Council care about safety on Barry Road, or elsewhere in the CPZ?

Did the Council consider that slowing traffic on Barry Road while simultaneously inviting rat-running through the neighbouring streets might jeopardise the CPZ plan?

Did the Council consider that the parking spaces lost to the proposed slaloms was an avoidable loss of income in the CPZ?