More Dogs in Peckham Rye Park

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Horrible for who? The kids would have no

> inhibitions about peeing anywhere if they weren't

> conditioned. Are you talking about your kids?

> Where did they come from then I wonder? If you

> feel uncomfortable about it say so, just don't say

> it's because of the kids.

I don't feel comfortable with it and I don't particularly want my two young daughters seeing a stranger's willy in the park. Not terribly appropriate in my opinion.

nen72 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Set up a poll on Nunhead Forum regarding dog poo

> in public areas, if anyone is on that forum too.

> Perhaps set one up for East Dulwich too?

This isn't a thread about poo, there are enough of those in the ether (td)

Hello all

Just for your information (especially for Councillor Hamvas!), there is a warden based in the office adjoining the toilets at Peckham Rye Park. I have been there for over a year now, during which time I have issued fixed penalty notices to many people for dog fouling or littering, told off many more for allowing their dogs off lead where they shouldn't be and also told off many people (including footballers) for urinating in public. I'm also the horrible man who will tell you to put out your barbeque, stop playing golf, take down your tent, get off the bowling green etc........

Hopefully you will all have seen me cycling around the park, with warden emblazoned on my bright yellow jacket, bike and cycle helmet. If I'm not out and about in the park, I may be in the office or patrolling one of the many satellite parks around Peckham Rye.

My contact details are posted on all of the PRP notice boards. Please call me if you see someone behaving in an anti social manner and I will try to come over and deal with it if at all possible. I often answer calls even on rest days. If I don't, leave a message and I will call you back.

Mark Newell

Park Liaison Officer

Peckham Rye Park

07940 743929

[email protected]

Peckham Parkie,

So glad you are around. The only problem is, and I do not mean to be difficult, is that in the many years of walking my dog, nearly every morning and weekend in Peckham Rye Park, I have never seen you. Not once.

It is great that you have issued fixed penalty notices for those who let their dog foul and do not pick up, but public urinaters only get a ticking off? I thought public urination, where there is no effort to be discreet and hide, was as a public order offence? This does seem a rather strange order of priorities by Southwark Council.

I find it incredulous that anyone would try to defend those that urinate (especially given as the park has toilets), or let their dogs run loose in areas where dogs are required to be on leads. It is a huge park and there are more than enough areas where dogs can run free. Litter is also just disrepect. It's just plain laziness to not use the toilets, the bins etc.

The reason why we have such a fabulous and free park is because most people respect it and don't break the rules or behave inappropriately.

And Mark the warden can regularly be seen in the park. I see him most Sundays that I play football.

Mark,

It sounds as though you are doing a great job, but if you are spread around so many parks perhaps there need to be more of you.

Renata, I would advise some discreet observation at football matches at the weekend, in the areas mentioned. Morning to lunch seems to be the time most play.

Again, could I ask you to explore with your fellow councillors ways in which people can be made to keep their dogs on lead when on public streets outside of the park. It is my understanding that there is enough existing legislation within the various road and traffic bylaws and within dog legislation to make this enforceable.

James,

I'm happy to admit I may not have noticed Mark- but let's have more Marks. Perhaps there could be voluntary Park Wardens in the same way we have specials etc..?

As DJQ has said, most of us are normal, empathetic beings, who believe in all rubbing along with a little give and take.

Finally, I believe one of the greatest public menaces is the so-called status dogs that are allowed to walk the streets offlead. These represent a massive hazard to other dogs and thereby potentially to owners and other people. I am tired of rounding a corner to be met by some offlead pitbull mix. I guess you'd have to be a dog owner to fully appreciate how difficult this kind of situation is. In addition, it is awful for those who are scared of dogs as they also see that the dog is apparently free to do as it pleases. People who are scared may panic and the dog sensing a high arousal situation may growl or bark or in very rare circumstances bite. If a way could be found to ensure dogs must be kept on lead on the public highways and streets life would be a lot more relaxed all round. In my view, this is a much more important issue than dogs in parks.

Dogs shouldn't be allowed on that area of the park, I agree that there are many other areas where they can roam and that shouldn't be one of them, either on or off lead, I don't allow my dog to walk there, it's beautiful and needs protecting.

I do see children on there at times, I think that's fine as long as they're not uprooting flowers etc.. kids like to look at the pretty flowers/colours.

Re: Wardens, I think I've seen Mark or had a good morning from him... have put those details in my phone, thanks.

Re: footballers, there's a well documented issue with footballers leaving litter, incl food waste after matches and the permit system has proven difficult to enforce (whereby we'd have a record of who was playing and how they left the pitch and changing rooms etc). The pissing thing I have been blissfully unaware of until now as I come in from the other side of the park but that sounds awful. Maybe there's more that can be done here? It's totally unacceptable.

It's not all footballers though...let's remember that but yes, empty plastic water bottles tend to litter the edge of pitches after a match. It tends also to be the case for adults rather than childrens matches. Again just disrepectful laziness by people who probably litter everywhere they go. There will be a record of who has booked pitches though, because they have to pay for them.

DJQ,

Of course it isn't all footballers. The ones I've seen on Peckham have all been adult males or much older boys. I have though seen younger boys (12-14'ish) doing this in Dulwich Park and on one occasion took issue with the adult males supervising them. I am pleased to say that I have never, ever seen a female footballer behave this way :)

(tu)....I always make double sure we don't leave any litter and I've even picked up the litter left by other footballers sometimes. I have seen Warden Mark speak to (male) football groups about litter. Having said that....you should see the litter around Dulwich Hamlets astroturfs - truly shocking...and of course if some people litter and it's not cleared up, it just encourages others to follow suit.

Phew! Glad there are some people who have seen me in and around the park!

First Mate. Much as I would like to fine people for urinating in public, neither I nor the Council have the powers to do so. All i can do is try to make them feel very embarrassed about it. The police, however, can issue PCNs or in aggravated circumstances arrest and charge people. I would also like to add that the problem of people urinating in the park is not exclusively a male one!

DJKQ.As regards footballers littering, I would say that nearly all of the organised, county FA affiliated teams do arrange to clear up anything they drop. There is a problem with some unaffiliated groups who use the pitches without paying for them and also leave litter. I do speak to these players and ask them to respect the park but it can be difficult to ensure compliance when they aren't affiliated to a governing body that will punish them. That said, they nearly always respond to a polite request to clear up when they have finished.

Good suggestion about voluntary park wardens First Mate but we already have them, dog walkers, joggers, footballers, kids in the skate park etc.............. the eyes and ears of Peckham Rye Park!

Cheers

Mark Newell

Park Liaison Officer

Peckham Rye Park

07940 743929

[email protected]

Hi all,

I am the father of two small children, and I do not appreciate dogs running over to steal my daughter's ball. It happens reasonably frequently when we are playing. I am not anti dog, but all dog owners should control their dogs. It is not just a case of keeping them on a lead, it is about ensuring that the owner is at all times in control of their actions. Those that think that a Labrador is no problem off the lead in an area set aside for no dogs, might consider that our old labrador, who I loved deeply, once bit me when I was a small child and plagued her. Not her fault, mine, but parents don't want to always be in the situation of worrying about dog / child interactions.

I would like to add in on the back of Masterblaster's comments that if people should always have 100% control of their dogs, which is a nice idea, then people should also have 100% control of their children.

I have lost count of the number of kids, some small toddlers, which have stumbled their way towards my dog whilst their parents are oblivious or assume it to be fine.

In reality, we live in a very densely populated area. kids will be kids sometimes, dogs will be dogs sometimes, and as long as they and we are good natured about how they end up interacting, then that isn't too terrible a situation.

Well said Cam123. It would be great if people had 100% control of their dogs, 100% of the time, but like children this isn't always possible as much as we try our best ( with both children & dogs ). I too am amazed at the number of parents who allow their child to come up & touch my dog without checking with me is this OK.