possible door to door charity scam

Hate to be cynical ( was had by a chatty Oxfam bibbed girl recently) but young girl and boy currently going door to door for Dr Banardo's. Overheard one say 'did you get anything yet' other said ' na thought I had two of them at one point'. Just to be warned this evening as charity has become a popular scam.

I?m more inclined to think they?re on commission than it being a scam. Just like the chuggers you avoid on the high street at lot of door to door fundraisers are paid by the charity based on signups. I personally dislike it, but charities find it more raises a lot more than it costs.

Barnardo's do collect door-to-door but equally they've been deprived of income by scammers. This from their website:

All of our face-to-face and door-to-door fundraisers:

Are provided with branded Barnardo?s clothing that includes a t-shirt and lightweight waterproof jacket.

Display a photo identification name badge clearly stating the agency for which they work as well as displaying the Barnardo?s logo.

Carry up to date Barnardo?s literature such as Direct Debit mandate forms and booklets on our work.

Some of our supplier agencies currently use iPads to capture the donor?s details, the screens on these devices clearly display the Barnardo?s logo. Any data collected on iPads is securely encrypted and is stored in ?the cloud?, no data is stored or accessible from the device.

wodey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hate to be cynical ( was had by a chatty Oxfam

> bibbed girl recently) but young girl and boy

> currently going door to door for Dr Banardo's.

> Overheard one say 'did you get anything yet' other

> said ' na thought I had two of them at one point'.

> Just to be warned this evening as charity has

> become a popular scam.

Actually they are the vulnerable one I'd think - the perfect target of a n'er do well is someone who thinks they're scamming you.

wodey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ... but young girl and boy

> currently going door to door for Dr Banardo's.

>

How old do you think they were? Usually they employ young adults for this kind of thing (at least that's who used to knock on my door for various charities when I lived in the very popular Soames St. - always subject to charity fundraisers).