Christmas lights in ED

What's the feeling on the festive lights around ED?

'everybody happy' or 'could do better'?

Personally I've never been that impressed with them, even the latest shooting star ones. A simple string of white lights always does it for me.

who holds the budget for them?

or is it too early to be talking about this?

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All LL needs is some low-voltage white LED fairy

> lights in all the trees and the effect would be

> magical. That's what they do in France. Nothing

> try-hard and fancy, and they can stay there all

> year.

There are not that many trees in Lordship Lane and North Cross Road.

And the lampposts already have the power sockets fitted.

I think some of the trees that are there do have white lights supllied by some local shops..

Does look nice.

Fox

All discussion of Christmas should be banned before 1st December and there should be a law against those dreadful shops that are open all year selling Christmas stuff. Next thing, someone will want one to open on Lordship Lane!

I fricking love Christmas, let me tell you. I'll happily talk about it til the cows come home (and apologies for my flippant initial response, sometimes the badness just takes me).

White lights would be great, much prettier than the technicolor nightmare so often foisted on British high streets. But I have to say that I can't honestly remember what the ED Christmas lights look like.

One thing I'd really like to see is mulled wine / cider and boozy hot chocolate available on the lane / Northcross. Everyone's a winner - a nice warming drink for the shoppers, and shoppers disinhibited by drink for the shopkeeps. It may just be me, but I get rather more flamboyant in my purchases after a drop or two.

RosieH Wrote:

> I fricking love Christmas, let me tell you. I'll

> happily talk about it til the cows come home (and

> apologies for my flippant initial response,

> sometimes the badness just takes me).

>

> White lights would be great, much prettier than

> the technicolor nightmare so often foisted on

> British high streets. But I have to say that I

> can't honestly remember what the ED Christmas

> lights look like.

>

> One thing I'd really like to see is mulled wine /

> cider and boozy hot chocolate available on the

> lane / Northcross. Everyone's a winner - a nice

> warming drink for the shoppers, and shoppers

> disinhibited by drink for the shopkeeps. It may

> just be me, but I get rather more flamboyant in my

> purchases after a drop or two.

Some of us, probably miss understand the concept of having a nice Christmas and what is all about.

White Christmas yes I agree but about cows and white lights much prettier. m,m,m (!)

It will depends is a personal choice !

My preference would be for brilliant white or warm white fairy lights. Multi coloured displays are a bit tacky for my taste, but they are probably quite popular with children, so I can see the appeal. Last year's yellow/white shooting stars were an ok compromise, but from memory one of the ones on Northcross road was a different kind of white which kinda peeved me every time I looked at it (I know, I know!) The Southbank has a mix of blue and white in the trees, which looks ok too. If it means taking money from other resources, keep the stars, if there's a ringfenced budget...lots of white lights!

• 2 weeks later...

Are we even allowed to call them Christmas Lights.

If the name is not to be changed then it must me a Gross Oversight by the Looney (no longer Left) Labour Party.

Come on Labour, Let's have something a bit more Politically Correct.

'Freedom Lights' perhaps..

'Community Illuminations'

For Fox Sake

RosieH Wrote:

>.

>

> One thing I'd really like to see is mulled wine /

> cider and boozy hot chocolate available on the

> lane / Northcross.

xxxxxx

Prettys did mulled wine on Saturdays in Northcross Road last December :)-D

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Are we even allowed to call them Christmas Lights.

>

xxxxxxx

There's no other festival around that time, is there? Diwali (festival of lights) is much earlier I think. So can't see why calling them Christmas lights would offend.