Goose Green councillors - how can we help?

Hi

What are the regs about builders/householders leaving large bags/building materials etc in the road by the pavement?

Parking is bad enough. For example, there are two large builders bags full of rubble that have been in Worlingham Rd for months now and it appears the building work finished some time ago.

Also hire cars. There's one unmoved since April.

Hi all,

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer!

Flooding - ThamesWater has not been in touch with me at all. The only info I have seen is that which I shared above (and again here: https://www.southwark.gov.uk/environment/flood-risk-management/notice-of-proposed-flood-alleviation-works-on-peckham-rye-common)

Builders should not leave things on the road for longer than necessary. I don't know the exact regs but I can happily look into it for you. Email me with your name and address, and the location of the problem.

Has the hire car been abandoned? Again, send me details and I will look into it.

Best wishes,

James

James, any update on the CPR / Whately crossing please? Works to ?widen? the pavements are complete. This resulted in the pavement being wider by a few inches so frankly in my view a complete waste of money. You should come down to take a look - I?d be more than happy to meet up if you have time.

The island that was helping to cross in one direction has also been removed. So now we have a much wider crossing in that direction.

Is there anywhere to complain to Southwark council do you know?

jamesmcash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear all

>

> Sorry for delayed response, I have been away.

>

> Mrs D - I am looking into seeing if the scheme can

> be amended to become a controlled crossing. I will

> keep you posted.

>

> 73jem - if you have not already (it is not always

> obvious from people?s EDF usernames!) please email

> me about this. Include your name and address so

> that I can properly follow up on it and make sure

> this problem does not occur.

>

> AylwardS - Is this the information you were

> looking for?

> https://www.southwark.gov.uk/environment/flood-ris

> k-management/notice-of-proposed-flood-alleviation-

> works-on-peckham-rye-common It may have been put

> there since your post on here.

>

> Best wishes

> James

James I'm sure you're busy with the start of a new term ( I have no idea how you find any time to teach and do this ) but ....regarding diverted HGV etc because of Barry Rd works ,can you suggest what we could do/who we could contact ?

I'm not clear how long the works will last ,Thames Water sign says January but I think bust stops say October .

": Vehicles on diversion new

Posted by drunkmonk74 Today, 09:41AM

I live on Kelmore Grove and twice now I've had to come out to move my car and motorbike to help large articulated lorries get through. Thanksfully I was at home and could help, otherwise I've no idea how they would have sorted themselves out.

One time I only realised there was an issue as the lorry set off the alarm on my motorbike and I rushed out thinking someone was stealing it in the middle of the day.

This is a serious issue, and to be honest, if it continues it will only be a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt, at which point something will be done, but by then it will be too late.

I understand that road works/utility works need to happen, however someone should have taken the time to understand the types of vehicles that travel down Barry Road, before simply diverting all that traffic through narrow residential roads."

James - it is not just that Thames Water has blocked off the roads, they also appear to be doing very little actual work while blocking off the roads. Not only Barry but (granted outside ED but with knock-on effects to (some of) those living there) just outside Honor Oak Park Station, where one lane is blocked, requiring lights to control traffic but where, apart from a slight hole dug a few days ago, no work (not even any workmen) can be seen (I went past at 9.00 yesterday, again at 2.00 and again at 6.00 and there was no sign at all of workmen or work). At Barry there are crowds of orange suited gents, but they don't appear (at least until a couple of days ago - I haven't checked since then to actually be doing any/ much work. A little desultory digging is all, just enough to screw things up. And parking up loads of vehicles to block usage for residents, of course. I know that remedial work is necessary, but shouldn't the councils be requiring that there are clear plans for that work to take place, with fines if roads are being blocked when work isn't taking place? The Barry Road debacle must have been a long time being prepared for (!) - surely it's reasonable, when blocking a numbered road and a bus route, for the council to require utilities to demonstrate that they are planning for minimum disruption - so getting the right people and kit on site at the right time. And working all day, everyday. If they (the utilities) can't do that, they should be being charged a daily fee for road disruption. Indeed I suspect that if they were charged such a fee their planning (and work rate) would be of a far higher quality!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I am sorry about the ongoing issues with the diversions. We were not given proper warning of this whatsoever. It is clear that the diversion route and corresponding signage was not properly thought-through. My colleague Cllr Charlie Smith is leading on this so do get in touch with him if there continues to be issues ([email protected])

Great idea ed_pete - I will try to get a cycle rack installed by the library.

Best wishes

James

Thames Water introduced temporary traffic lights at the Dunstans and Goodrich Roads junction just over a month ago to repair a leak in the road. After two weeks the hole was filled in, the tarmac made good and the traffic lights removed. Another water leak about a metre from the repair sprang up through the road. The contractors could see this but chose to ignore it and moved on. Thames Water were aware of this new leak. I spoke to one of their supervisors who thought the first contactor had not tightened a collar in the ground. Nearly three weeks have now passed and thousands of litres of water have run away down a nearby drain. Thames Water have turned up today (Thursday) and opened up a hole in the road. I spoke to one of their operatives who thought the latest repair should take between two to three days to complete. We are constantly being told to conserve water but Thames Water allows so much water to be wasted because of their incompetent repairs service.

Yours Sincerely

Councillor Charlie Smith

Goose Green Ward Member

I don't know, Abe_froeman. It had been there for at least 6 months, I'd tried complaining to the company, Ubeequo and had no response. Then I moaned to James and and Southwark, (who said Ubeequo were licensed and so there was nothing that could be done,) and there it was , Gone! It may be a coincidence, but James might know.

Good luck to you, anyway. Then there's that fleet of camper vans near the junction of Upland/Barry Roads. They would p... me off if I was trying to park there.

Hi James

Is there anything the council can do about all the crime that seems to be committed in our area, like install CCTV cameras and improve street lighting etc ?

If you look at this board there seem to be so many muggings and burglaries and vehicle thefts. It's deeply concerning and I wondered the council can be / are doing about it?

Many thanks

Abe_froeman Wrote:

>

> If you look at this board there seem to be so many

> muggings and burglaries and vehicle thefts. It's

> deeply concerning and I wondered the council can

> be / are doing about it?

It will always be the case that people will post stuff like that on here, so that it appears there are a lot in the area even if actually there aren't any more than in other areas.

Those who never experience any of it don't post!

I am not suggesting they don't happen, obviously, just that having a forum like this one means that you will be made aware of them, whereas if there was no forum you wouldn't be.

I think it's the statistics which matter, not a few posts on a forum.

And that doesn't mean I'm not very sympathetic to the people who are affected by crime locally.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Any chance of Southwark working to bring Lime

> bikes to East Dulwich?

I would prefer the "Boris" bikes (or whatever they are called now) as they are contained in a docking station, where as the lime bikes can just be left anywhere making them a hazard for pedestrians, disabled and the elderly and also cluttering up the streets which Southwark are claiming to make better for residents.