New to East Dulwich, looking for top tips!

Dulwich Tandoori is goooood, went there for the first time last night and the guys in there are so friendly. We go half price drinks in BooHoo bar next door while we waited for our table as well....win!

Some people have organised a singles Sunday Roast not tomoro but next Sunday so if you're interested go to the what's on in East Dulwich bit on here and send them a message. Good way to meet some ED people I'd say.

hey....don't know if anyone has mentioned these places BUT I love Bar-story in Peckham its under the arches has a really cool laid back vibe, has a Sunday market selling indie things and brick-a-brack!

There?s the Amersham arms in New cross some happenings keep an eye on it for worthwhile stuff going on, can be a bit studenty.

THEN in Camberwell you've got Hermits Cave which is proper mix of art students, locals and mentalists in a good old fashioned boozer! Also in Camberwell there is the Tiger and the Gran Union. Plus as recently featured on the culture show...The New London Gallery, which is a bar and a gallery.

Ooooo and I almost forgot to mention the brilliant Lido in Brockwell park! For swimming and sunshine!

I know most of this isn't in ED but to be honest round here (as much as I love it) its more of a yummy mummy than Hoxton hipster. There are loads of lovely places in ED but the ones I've mentioned above are the arty/indie hangouts as far as I know :-)

I dont think anyone has mentioned ganapati just off bellenden rd in peckham rye - amazing south indian cuisine and v good local restaurant atmosphere. All round bellenden rd is worth checking out as has a more east london feel than lordship lane i reckon...there are some great shops and cafes and pubs round there...

This is all great...

So far I have taken in various suggestions and also discovered the No 37 bus which is great for the Ritzy in Brixton etc - altho I found it pretty expensive at over ?10 a film ticket and ?4 for 2 small bottles of water! No wonder I am always skint!

Interesting, been looking for cinemas in south London and there aren?t many! Think I?ll head Greenwich way, there's a multiplex jobby and also the Picture House. Sadly I think ?10 is the norm these days.

If you are into gym/sport can I recommend Dulwich college. Restricted to outside school hours during term time but that brings the price down considerably and its got great facilities including a running track. There's also a bootcamp there on Saturday morning which I can heartily recommend. If you are into health and fitness.

As I'm that end of ED, the Park, village, college, Art gallery etc is where I spend a lot of my time and all worth checking out.

For pubs, i'd recommend the Gowelett and the EDT. If you dont mind wandering the extra five minutes to Bellenden Road then the Victoria is the best in the area (and close to Bar Story and Frank's). Good roasts and chorizo scotch eggs at the latter, and they serve the Florence in Herne Hill's home brews (same owners). They have a supreme pub dog as well.

The EDT used to do excellent pub/gastro hybrid food (massive portions too), though the last time i ate there it'd been changed to more restaurant-y fare, which i'm assuming is still the case. Still very good though.

The pizzas at the Actress have been great (the spiced lamb one) and totally woeful (the roast dinner pizza, a dubious idea, appallingly executed) and they have Vedett on tap and usually a decent selection of ales.

Franklins is brilliant; regional/seasonal ingredients cooked incredibly well. If it was the other side of London i'd still visit it regularly. Similarly, the Palmerston does excellent food of a similar kind.

Blue Mountain and Blue Brick cafe do excellent breakfasts, though Dulwich Cafe is great for a reliably filthy bacon sandwich every now and then.

Hope and Greenwood is an amazing sweetshop which i spend a fortune on gobstoppers in.

You can sometimes get 2 for 1 on very good sourdough loaves at the East Dulwich Deli on a Sunday afternoon (ask even if the sign isn't out.... i got what essentially equated to a pissy telling off once but still got them).

Finally, Dulwich Park is great for a run and there's a semi hidden Barbara Hepworth sculpture in the bushes half way round.

Scoop Ed on Melbourne Grove for ice cream. That's probably enough for now.

SteveUK1978 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I keep meaning to go in Hope and Greenwood - keep

> walking past it when it is closed. Thanks for

> reminding me....I will go this weekend!

+1

and +1 re Victorias chorizo scotch eggs, in fact I'm off to get some now!

Hi

There is a private cinema in Loughborogh Junction. I think it's called Whirled Cienma. It costs 30 pounds a year for m'ship.

Also you must try Frank's Cafe on the roof of the car park in Peckham. You will defintely impress your friends! Don't be put off by bthe walk up to the top and enjoy the artwork!!