Cleaning up Lordship Lane

as a lordship lane radar, I am very worried that last night's disgusting advance guard may be followed tonight by more of their vile cohorts. if it does kick off, then we shall just have to stand our corner and fight back, cos we very much doubt that the police will be able to defend us. we have spent several years building up our business and we shall literally fight to protect what we have from this shower of bastards. I think that all of london now requires emergency measures, including water cannon, some armed police and almost certainly the military. the official response so far has been woeful. thank god boris is back to save us (not)

Fellow Dulwich residents,

We need to push for strategies to be put in place for tonight to prevent attacks on our patch. I know there are local councillors who use and input on this forum. The time to apply pressure for a robust proactive plan is now. I have been listening to Radio 4 and am amazed to here the lack of understanding of what the military are capable of in order to aid the police in circumstances such as those we londoners are experiencing. Two mandates which the Army Forces are trained for are; Military Aid to the Civil Power and Military Aid to the Civil Community. Clearly the police are unable to sustain the presence which is needed to bring order to an increasingly larger area of greater London; taking hundreds of police from the south of the river to aid trouble spots in the north has left subsequential trouble areas (Peckham/ E Dulwich, Chapham Lewisham, Croydon...etc...etc) with little or no police support. The police are not scaled for this; so we need to scale up.

Great to see that everyone is pulling together. would be down there to help but had to work today. I had to drive down the Walworth Road around midnight last night and it's the first time I have been truly frightened. The metal shutters did nothing to stop the looters. there were gangs, riot police and smashed windows everywhere. I think I just caught the tail end as it headed down E street towards old kent road.

Hi zeban,

Peckham has its own councillors and if they need help they'll ask for it.

Hi puzzled,

I understand your distress at what might happen and can't pretend such thoughts hadn't crossed my mind as well but keeping calm and reproting directly to the police suspiscious activities via 999 is the key. Vigilantism could well incite more unwelcome visitors than it solves and Southwark Police have 1,000 Police officers and many more sent from other boroughs to help.

As a shop owner I would encourage you to secure valuables and be even more vigilant than normal.

Hi DulwichFox,

Isn't it great how quickly LL is getting back to normal. The more normal things look and feel the less likely things will go awry locally.

I have been appalled by the intolerable behaviour shown in East Dulwich and elsewhere in recent days and I fully support the police in taking tough action to bring to book those responsible.

East Dulwich and other communities in my constituency are robust and will not be scarred by these mindless actions.

I and my office have been in constant contact with the local authority, community leaders, the police and other colleagues. I will be working closely with them all over the next few days to make sure that everything is being done to prevent any recurrence of violence and to make sure that our local communities return to normal as soon as possible.

Here are the key messages from the police that they would be grateful if everyone could heed and pass on:

? Parents and guardians should know where their children are and they should be at home tonight

? Onlookers should go home as they are hampering the police operations

? If you see something suspicious dial 999

If you own or work in a local shop affected by the recent disturbances you might consider contacting the Retail Trust Helpline on 0808 801 0808 or via their website at: www.retailtrust.org.uk

Best wishes,

Tessa Jowell

I live on a street parallel to Lordship Lane and am very concerend that any violent mobs are pushed off lordship lane into neighbouring streets where no doubt angry mobs may inflict acts of violence on residential property and cars....

So in response to wateracre, I am more than wiling to line the streets, arm in arm with local residents, for a peaceful show of resilience...

TJMP Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ? Onlookers should go home as they are hampering

> the police operations

Tessa,

Thanks for your message. Not sure if the excerpt above is a direct response to wateracre's suggestion that responsible, peaceful citizens seek to have a presence on the streets (every citizen's right) in an attempt to deter outbreaks of violence before they gather momentum. If so, I think your choice of the word "onlookers" is a poor one.

Would you agree that the community has a role to play in "a peaceful show of resilience" as Recently Moved posted here? The evidence of recent evenings is that the police are overstretched, and only get to flashpoints, if at all, when it's too late for them to have an effect. I know there are supposed to be 16,000 police in London tonight, compared with 6,000 last night, but may there also be more rioters?

I hope your message is not a crude "leave it to the professionals, stay home and shut up (unless you've got some snitching to do)". If that's the kind of society we've got to look forward to, then ennui and unrest will only grow.

David, Matham Grove SE22