Cleaning up Lordship Lane

That is a good point, but to be honest I am happy to go down there first to find out exactly what the situation is even if it means being turned away by the police. Perhaps someone on the forum can advise if anyone is in the know.

Thanks acm. Does that mean for once the Co-op will actually have some food! I think I might have to go down to LL just to see that (only joking, please this is not an excuse to revive the whole supermarket discussion that have been revised in numerous other threads).

Nice thought, but I shouldn't think there is anything to help to clean up in LL. Was there in a restaurant yesterday until about 10.30pm and during that time the damage to Londis, Palmerston, PO etc occurred. Unless something major happened after that, there won't be anything to clean up (not outside anyway and I suspect inside is/will already have been taken care of). The Palmerston's window was already boarded up by 10.30pm. LL escaped lightly I think, although there was a time it looked like it wasn't going to and we were wondering what we had done going out to eat. It was surreal to see groups of people who were obviously rioters. or would be rioters, moving up LL from the roundabout end (they were almost all coming from the Peckham direction along ED Road past Goose Green). When I say would be rioters, I don't mean people wearing hoodies, I mean groups of aggressive/nasty looking characters, apparently in an agitated state, with their faces entirely covered (except for their eyes). There was a very bad atmosphere, but it didn't look like LL was targeted as some places were - it looked more like they were heading home/on somewhere else after smashing up Peckham. Must admit, it was a relief to us, although sorry for those whose places were attacked.

As a former resident of East Dulwich, my thoughts are with you all at this time. Although I am Australian, I called London home for nearly 4 years and spent 2 and a half years living in lovely East Dulwich. To hear about the rioting and looting going on in London right now is honestly breaking my heart. Such an amazing city and one very dear in my memories of my 'walkabout' years. We have had riots in Sydney before (see Redfern and Cronulla riots) but never anything of this scale! It is truly bewildering... the news coverage downunder is non-stop and I just cannot watch anymore. I hope the madness stops soon so that your lives may return to normal. If I was still living there on Derwent Grove I would be out there with you cleaning up. I know London is not unfamiliar with riots but it's still very distressing to see all the same. I wish there was something I could do to help!!!

goosey-goosey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And just to chip in again on the subject of

> helping to clean up LL... Apparently this idea is

> trending on social networking sites across London.

> So said Today on Radio 4 shortly before 06:30

> today. See? Even in times of adversity, East

> Dulwich leads the way :-).

goosey-goosey, not sure if you were being flippant, my comedy radar has gone somewhat awry these past 24 hours, but please don't think East Dulwich has a monopoly on wanting to do something or is leading the way. We have a bad enough reputation as it is without suggesting that we're somehow better than all the other communities who want to show solidarity.

According to twitter, Peckham already almost cleaned up.