East Dulwich Station Mural - Call for Artists

An action group comprising of East Dulwich businesses, market traders and residents are creating a brand celebrating the independent spirit of East Dulwich. In partnership with Southwark Council, Dulwich Outdoor Gallery and The Dulwich Festival, we are inviting entries from artists to add some colour and cheer up the area around East Dulwich Train Station.

The area outside East Dulwich station is for many people, the first and last impression they get of East Dulwich. The mural will brighten up this location and celebrate the independent spirit East Dulwich.

We are looking for interest from artists, preferably, but not necessarily, with a connection to East Dulwich ? you might live or work here, have family or friends in the area, or simply love the place for another reason. We want entrants to think creatively about what East Dulwich means to them. If you are interested in getting involved please click on the link below to read more about the project.

http://arounddulwich.co.uk/east-dulwich-wall-mural/

If you would like to know more about the group or would like to get involved please email us at [email protected]

From the article that post is linked to:

"The mural will be part of a wider project which includes community lead enhancements to North Cross Road Market and installations of lamp post banners."

So despite your coyness on the previous thread, you are the organisation behind the ghastly banner project. Mural good - banners rubbish.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1899568,1899568#msg-1899568

Thanks for your feedback NXJen. The mural and banners are part of a creative outdoor exhibition involving the whole community, and we hope you change your mind as the project develops. Street furniture has been used creatively to great effect in cities around the world and locally in fantastic projects in Herne Hill and West Dulwich. We welcome community involvement Jen, so why not send us an email and get involved.

In the meantime, we are actively sourcing interests from artists for the East Dulwich Station Mural. If have a favourite street artist that you think would be suitable, please do let them know about the project! It?s such a great spot to make an impact for locals and visitors alike, and very exciting!

When you say it's a project that involves the whole community, how many residents were involved in the decision to install the banners? I know only of one resident. Residents may be involved in the actual process of the creation of the banners but that is not the same as being consulted about whether or not the concept is welcome. It's kind of insulting to assimilate residents into serving what is a marketing exercise for the benefit of businesses, attempting to create a faux sense of community. I repeat though that I welcome the proposed mural.

Hi NXJen

There was an open call for members of the community to get involved and help direct the project right at the outset - creatives, local individuals and business owners. We had a great response, and here we are! The heart of the project is to promote and showcase the creative and independent spirit of East Dulwich - this encompasses local, independent traders, creatives, artists, musicians, writers, schools, families, makers, chefs etc. That?ll become clearer as the project develops, and as we said, we hope you?ll change your mind and even get involved personally. Send us an email and we?ll let you know how.

Please do pass this call on to any mural artist you think would be interested in the East Dulwich Station Mural.

In the meantime, I?m off out to enjoy the sunshine!

nxjen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> From the article that post is linked to:

>

> "The mural will be part of a wider project which

> includes community lead enhancements to North

> Cross Road Market and installations of lamp post

> banners."

>

> So despite your coyness on the previous thread,

> you are the organisation behind the ghastly banner

> project. Mural good - banners rubbish.

>

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5

> ,1899568,1899568#msg-1899568

Evasive shadowy organisations. We had a call out thread for the Neo nazi posters recently on here- There is less information out these for eastdag than there is for the NN.

Why would anyone want to have anything to do with your group eastDAG ?

flocker spotter Wrote:

> Who are you and how do you have permission for

> this artwork?

>

> you failed to answer any questions last time, now

> is an ideal opportunity to make good that mistake

Thank you for your interest in our group. As already mentioned the group consists of local residents, businesses and market traders and are supported by Southwark Council. The call for people to get involved is ongoing and has been in local magazines and on this forum. We really hope you can come along to meetings and bring your passion to the project. Please do drop us an email and get involved.

I'm Bryan, a local creative and East Dulwich resident for the past 5 1/2 years.

You've already been introduced to Dan, but why don't you send us an email, introduce yourself and come along to one of our meetings where you can meet everyone else.

To answer your earlier question, the mural has the initial support of Southwark Council, Network Rail, a community of artists and hopefully the East Dulwich Community. Everyone really got behind the Foresthill mural project, and I've no doubt we will generate the same level of enthusiasm in East Dulwich. We will be inviting the community to participate in the project as it develops, and everyone is welcome to pitch in as a volunteer, yourself included.

Hopefully that allays your fears of a "shadowy organisation".

To return to the original purpose of the post, if you have any artists that you'd like to recommend for the project, please do let them know. It's a GREAT space to show your work and a really exciting element of the project.

If you have any queries, please feel free to send us an email: [email protected]

In the meantime, it's too sunny (finally) to be sitting on my laptop!

eastDAG Wrote:

> flocker spotter Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Who are you and how do you have permission for

> > this artwork?

> >

> > you failed to answer any questions last time,

> now

> > is an ideal opportunity to make good that

> mistake

>

> Thank you for your interest in our group. As

> already mentioned the group consists of local

> residents, businesses and market traders and are

> supported by Southwark Council. The call for

> people to get involved is ongoing and has been in

> local magazines and on this forum. We really hope

> you can come along to meetings and bring your

> passion to the project. Please do drop us an

> email and get involved.

when is the next meeting & will it be advertised for public access?

Great advice, and as and when we have our engagement events, this and other channels will be used to notify everyone.

If you'd like to join the steering group, please send us an email with some details about yourself and what you would like to/can bring to the project.

To revert back to the original point of this post: The open call for artists to note their interest is tomorrow! We've had a GREAT response so far, so if you are keen, please reply with the info requested asap!

http://arounddulwich.co.uk/east-dulwich-wall-mural/