We have a great hospital in Kings.....

Philip, would it really have made a massive difference had you been admitted straight away rather than a few hours later? Not being a smart star, just asking a genuine question.

Your story is not a good one, and I'm sorry to hear it, but perhaps they've improved greatly over the past 6 years.

For info: KIng's is planning a major development - up to ?100m to be spent on redesigning the current car park to provide:

3 x number of car parking spaces (450 rather than 150) - in a basement style car park

A retail shopping mall - Newsagents, supermarket (M&S or Waitrose reportedly interested)

A 3* hotel for patient relatives, visitors and locals - up to 100 bedrooms (Travel Lodge / Premier Inn / Ibis)

A new private hospital to replace the current 20 bedded unit that will generate the Trust further income from overseas and private patients independently of NHS services.

Tender notice is out. Decision on successful bidder July 2012, build commences late 2012. New facilities - 2014 / 15.

jonr, it came out a while back:

http://www.publictenders.net/tender/104984

It's not clear how much money Kings would actually be putting in, the structure is to set up a joint venture vehicle which would be responsible for designing, building, financing, operating and maintaining the new facilities. In return, the selected provider gets the right to generate income (from private patients and other users) from the new facilities. In other words, it looks as if it will be privately financed and all profits would be returned to the private sector.

Kings is a great hospital with great staff. My friend recently had a heart attack. It happened on the Saturday morning they had operated Saturday afternoon and we were allowed to see him sunday and he was discharged on Tuesday and we can't thank the staff enough. my friend is now recovering at home.

Siduhe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> jonr, it came out a while back:

>

> http://www.publictenders.net/tender/104984

>

It's not clear how much money Kings would actually be putting in, the structure is to set up a joint venture vehicle which would be responsible for designing, building, financing, operating and maintaining the new facilities. In return, the selected provider gets the right to generate income (from private patients and other users) from the new facilities. In other words, it looks as if it will be privately financed and all profits would be returned to the private sector.

Not quite right Siduhe.

Deeper reading of the tender doc will show that the private investor, which will indeed provide all necessary capital, is expected to provide an annual revenue stream back into the Trust in return for the opportunity to develop on the site.

The Trust will benefit by getting a new Clinical Education centre, gaining access to new conference facilities and from a revenue stream of between ?2m and ?6m, perhaps more for at least 25 years (projected term of the arrangement).

Staff are likely to benefit from access to a new on site gym at reduced membership rates, patient relatives & visitors by having an on site hotel (as well as Camberwell in general having, at long last, a reasonable hotel).

So this is a genuine Joint Venture project - the Trust puts up its land as "equity" into the deal and the private sector puts up cash - both benefit from the returns generated in proportion to risk and input.