men selling teak garden furniture door to door

This is very enlightening as I was approached yesterday as I left the house by a man selling teak garden furniture with the same patter, from Oxfordshire though. Said he had left-over stock from Horniman's Garden and was delivering nearby to members of National Trust. The psychology seems to be mentioning well known establishments to create feeling of trust. Had a nice van with company logo, was wearing uniform. Well it worked and I bought some - a Lutyens style bench and a table and chairs. Gave me a receipt and the address does exist but a private house rather than garden centre. Not sure if I've been conned - I did need them actually and they do seem good quality. With teak prices seem to vary wildly so not sure if I overpaid.

Said he was heading over to Court Lane Gardens next. Any more sightings???

The furniture sold (if it's the same as some I got from an almost identical door-to-door source 2 years ago - which it almost certainly is) is marked up as sustainably sourced and has a contact system for checking. The prices (again if it's the same) are comparable to internet prices - with the benefit that it's delivered to you and carried in for free. The quality of the furniture is perfectly fine (I've had some which has lasted a couple of seasons outside and still looks in good nick).

You are being conned as regards the actual source and history and the apparent discount against brochure prices, but you are buying (broadly) as cheap as you could retail on the internet, and it's OK stuff, I believe (not using illegally harvested wood). So not a marvellous bargain, but not paying over the odds for the stuff (and you certainly can buy the same stuff a lot more expensively from some retail outlets). They do use sales trickery, but they aren't thieves.

I would urge you not to encourage these people. It may be that you are happy with your purchase, which is fine. But by the sounds of it, they use what to some may consider high pressure sales tactics, on the door step. Other, more vulnerable individuals may not end up quite as sanguine about their impulse purchases.

Thanks Penguin68, yes it is marked as sustainably sourced and I'm glad to hear yours has lasted. I was caught off my guard and wouldn't normally buy something without researching. Coincidence that I actually needed what he had and it was convenient.

It was high pressure in that he kept dropping the price and said he was leaving now and wouldn't be back etc.

Thanks to the forum - this is the only item I could find on line about teak furniture being sold like this but it must be a widespread practice.

a) If it's

marked up as sustainably sourced and has a contact system for checking,

as commenter Penguin68 above writes,

someone follow it up, please, who has got the details, then let us know what you find?

b) Real teak

it is most unlikely to be. There are various ways to create a passable imitation, not the least amongst them felling some different rainforest species.

c) Whether it lasts

all wooden outdoor items start to rot after one season. The best thing is to bring furniture indoors each year. Also treat it regularly with wood preservative.

d) Free outdoor furniture

This district has so much freebie outdoor furniture available on the street! Mostly folding chairs, rather hard seats to be sure, and sometimes with a special surprise 'jackknife' action to catch the unwary guest. However, with a few handy repairs, they can be rehabilitated. Even got the round table of your dreams sometimes.....

I should perhaps add that this is not the best time of year to buy wooden garden furniture unless you have somewhere undercover to store it, as it will have had a season's weathering otherwise before you really get a chance to enjoy it. This is outwith any issues of materials, source or cost.

• 3 months later...
hello there guys it was me that was in the area i was told by a very good customer of mine that there was some people taking about when we was in the area basically I've a lot of customers in the east dulwich area and was pretty shocked to see what some people have written on here like i am a conman all of my item are sourced from sustainable forests in java http://ettf.info/indonesia?s-first-v-legal-trial-timber-heads-eu and if anyone is interested in any items i did a show in wimbledon over the weekend and i have 75% off the items i had on display [email protected] coopersteakfurniture.co.uk

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...