The East Dulwich Finger 1799 (Map)

Just to complete the circuit here's the East Dulwich Finger - the part of Friern Manor the goes over the crest of Dog Kennel Hill almost down to Camberwell Green.

The mis-alignment on the map is because only c50 control points were used to morph the 1799 map onto to Ordnance Survey projection. For publication I'll use several hundred control points.

I'm not inclined to include this part of Friern Manor in the historic East Dulwich area for research purposes: unless someone can convince me otherwise. As far as I can make out, on little evidence so far, this was result of one of the local landowning families of shallow pedigree consolidating and extending its land-holdings. Someone in the Camberwell Society may have already done the research on this.

John K

John,

May I ask if you know if the tunnel exists still that runs from the hospital to the north side of the railway, emerging in the vacinity of St.Francis Court.

I ask as my wife use to work in the hospital and used it as the walkway back to her accomodation back in the early 90's

LTP

If you mean the tunnel under the railway to what used to be St. Francis hospital, then that tunnel still exists. However it was boarded up when the St. Francis estate/Abbotswood Rd houses were built, occupying the space where the hospital gardens used to be (had its own gardener and potting sheds).

The tunnel used to join Dulwich and St Francis hospitals and was a convenient subway for squirrels too - you often had to share with them scurrying along the top of the service pipes!