Advice needed on 4 year old wanting to brush her teeth all by herself.

Hi there!

A bit of advice needed please......

What age is best to let your child brush their teeth all by themselves??? I have a 4 year old, well 4 and a half (she always reminds me to remember the half!!) year old and she is really keen on brushing her teeth all by herself. We have reached a compromise where I brush her teeth in the morning and then she brushes them at bedtime. She reallllllllllly wants to do everything for herself and she does a good job but I just cant help myself!!!!!

So what do you think is a good age to start?????

If she does a good job, why are you reluctant?

Maybe if you're nervous schedule some extra dentist checkups. The dentist will soon point out any areas that are not being well brushed, or if she's accumulating plaque.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, my four year old boy is a rather reluctant tooth-brusher and needs a lot of supervision, otherwise he just chews his brush for a few seconds and declares Finished! So, I think we are a long way from his doing it all himself, but I'm keen to ensure he at least starts to understand the process.

We spend about 20 mins each morning and evening over the big tooth brushing debate - my daughter will do anything to avoid brushing hers!!! I think you should count yourself lucky and embrace her independence, but as Moos advises, have regular check ups with the dentist.

Thanks guys, will do.

Thinking about it, I think it was the flashing toothbrush from the pound-shop that sparked off my daughters interest in brushing her own teeth. It flashes for a minute at a time and she loved it as she got to tap it to re start the flashing and she knew when it was time to stop brushing them. Give it a try, even when you have to replace the toothbrush if you cant get hold of another flashing one keep it just as a guild line for them x

My 4 year old has probably only let us brush his teeth about twice since he started at age 18 months. Unless we pin him down and force his mouth open, (we haven't!) it's not going to happen....but I am assuming that the psychological damage of doing this would be worse than having a filling! We bought him an electric toothbrush, which kept his interest in doing it himself and also it seems to clean them even if he just sticks it in his mouth and swishes it around a bit. Personally I would let your daughter do it herself, especially if she's doing a good job of it. She's obviously feeling independent enough and that's important to her. Regular dental check ups should help stop your worries.

You can get little egg timer type thing from amazon - just check it's 2 mins because the one I just bought is nearer 3! Good for encouraging a decent length of brushing. Our daughter is 6.5 and she brushes in morning and we brush at night. Good balance of control for me and independence for her!

I have told my kids you have to be seven before you are allowed to do your own teeth morning and night. (They do their own in the morning, I do them at night.)

My husband thinks I am mad to have set an arbitrary cut-off point and I see his point, it depends on the child and their abilities. But it has stopped all arguments, which I think would otherwise be nightly. If the younger one says anything about doing it herself, the older one puts her straight for me! (They are 2 and 4 now.)

Don't know where I got the age seven from, but after I'd said it once I stuck to it!

I was told to help until they are 6 but still help my 7 year old now & again.

We bought disclosure tablets from the chemist (those red tablets that you chew that show up the plaque). I let my daughter brush then used the tablet so she could see where she was missing. Use 1 every now & again to check technique & hide them away the rest of the timer you get nagged non stop!!

My rule is I do the first bit, then they can take over - morning & night. That way you know their teeth are all being cleaned twice a day.