Dulwich Leisure Centre. Crystal Palace rd (over 60's Free swim)

I joined Dulwich Leisure Centre. Crystal Palace rd. a couple of months ago for over 60's Free swim.

It was FREE to join and I also had access to the Gym.

I haven't used the facility yet bit have just received an e-mail to renew my annual membership (after 2 months)

and requesting I pay ?160

Thought the FREE swim was to good to be true.

DulwicFox

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hubby (over 65) got an email reminder re annual

> membership ?160 and asked at the Leisure Centre

> why this had increased from ?3 pa and was advised

> to ignore it - was meant for those under pension

> age.

This was an e-mail addressed to me and says I have to pay ?160 by 29/03/18

This is not a ?3 pa increase. It was FREE when I joined up and have an Everyone Active Card From Southwark.

I have a friend Living in East Dulwich over 60 (65) and I know they have to pay to swim.

You don't get anything for Free these days.

Foxy

Sounds like you get a Free Trial for a couple of months.

I went to the gym for the first time today using the free scheme, almost had a heart attack using the showers afterwards as the water was freezing cold, was not warned of this at reception, who knew about the issue when I asked about if this was normal afterwards.

This could be really dangerous for some people, especially after working out or swimming.

rahrahrah,

In answer to your enquiry about why access is free to over all over 60s, it's part on an idea to look after older people and keep them healthy. My class used to be a few pounds then they made it free to encourage more old folks in - and it did. It became so popular that they now have to put on an extra one.

Yes, we've all heard talk about us well-off Baby Boomers with all our money and property, but there are actually people living on state pensions and still in rented accommodation, so having a chance to go to a 'Keep Fit' class for free means a lot to them.

By the way - us Baby Boomers had to put up with rationing when we were kids, poor living conditions (no bathrooms or central heating), paying 33% tax in the 70's and getting made redundant in the 80's - so there!!

There, I can feel that workout doing me good already.

I use the free swim and gym access at Peckham Pulse and when it came to renewal, I was just sent a renewal for continued free use. There were no fees whatsoever - not even ?3 for the card. So it sounds to me as though Dulwich Leisure Centre have made an error with those emails. All residents of Southwark can use the gym and swim all day Friday, and after 2pm on Saturday and Sunday. Anything that encourages people to exercise, saves the NHS far more down the line in not having to treat cardiovascular and weight related diseases. Exercise can also help with mental wellbeing too. One of the best ideas the counsil had imo.