Trains - Delays

Shaggy

What is going on with the trains from East Dulwich to london Bridge? There are delays nearly every single day at the moment... (morning and evening rush hour) I called Southern Railway and they will "get someone to call me back." Has someone got any info?

No idea Shaggy but I have sympathy. When I first moved to the area about 7 years ago I took the train every day as I was busophobic. But after so many delays and shortened trains I tried the bus and haven't looked back. Station to station on the train is 11 minutes compared to 30 minutes or so on the bus but the buses are more frequent, you don't have to walk through stations when you get there and you are mostly guaranteed a seat

The 8.05 this morning was cancelled, and there are frequently delays, cancellations or shortened trains on that and the 8.15. I agree that the service is pretty crap. Does anyone know if there's a Passenger's Charter or similar for Southern? On the tube if there are delays you can claim money back. If everyone started doing that, it might give them an incentive to improve the service. And if it doesn't, you might at least feel less aggrieved!

I stopped taking the train ages ago. I work in Aldgate, so it makes more sense for me to get the number 40 from LL. It takes about an hour doot-to-door though, which is the only downside. Mind, at 90p per journey it's miles cheaper! :)

But speaking of delays, is it just me or have the bus services from ED, esp during rush-hour, been appalling lately? And what with those bloody roadworks on Walworth Road ...

Walworth Road had been better for a while but I think they're having a last-miunte push to get everything finished. Several times this week I have been stuck in a jam, which I believe is causing problems with scheduling. I have complained to TfL, saying that no extra buses are being put on to compensate. In the mornings and evening there have lately been queues of dozens of people at the main bus stops and the buses are always rammajamma.

And, yeah, an hour door-to-door. I leave my house about 8am and get in the office for 9am most days, sometimes a little quicker though, it depends. I actually don't mind the time. Unlike the train (ugh!) or Tube (even worse!) you almost always get a seat on the buses and can read in comfort. I get through heaps of books this way.

I usually get the train from ED to Tulse Hill (then change again...) and my train is nearly delayed all the time too, usually meaning I miss the train from Tulse Hill to Wimbledon.

And yes, 176 has been getting worse too. What is WRONG with Saturday lunchtimes on that damned route? I need to be at work by 2pm, and have been leaving at midday as the 176 just NEVER seems to arrive and when it does, it's only going to Elephant, or Camberwell... Lately I've been getting any bus to Elephant, then getting the tube to Soho...

I have been running into constant delays at Forest Hill and received a very apologetic email from Southern in response. I have complained about the buses to the respective companies and TfL before; not much in the way of reply sadly.