Dunstan's Road Speed Humps

Crikey a speed hump free side road in Southwark - do the Council know? Have a word with them - am sure they'd be happy to spend a load of cash putting in road humps on H&S grounds quick smart.

But do all cars really speed down Landcroft Mon238 - speed is, after all, relative. As has been posted here in the past, pedestrians' perception of speed is usually incorrect (see Barry Road discussions).

I suppose I just find it a bit sad that the council's stock response to any concern re speed is to install speed humps. I say this as someone who obeys the speed limit.

I hate speed humps with a great hatred, they ruin my car, reduce the life of my tyres and lorries which leap over them are putting cracks in my front garden wall. However - since they were installed there have been no accidents in my road involving children, and no speeding cars crashing into parked cars around my house - used to happen every 18 months or so, lost several wing mirrors, a car's rear bumper and my neighbour had a car ploughing into her front room.

So, on balance, much as I hate speed humps, they have actually improved things locally. They still have to be engineered right - but they do a job. Whether they are needed in quite such concentrations I don't know, some of the smaller cross routes are more hump than road now, but the principle seems sound enough.

I wish in the UK they would consider the French habit of putting a 'rapel' and the in-place speed limit on signs - regular reminders of 20 mph limits might encourage those using the roads to slow down - in long runs within a 20mph zone it's quite easy to forget (particularly I suspect if you are driving a stop-start delivery van) what the local prevaling limit is.

I think court lane bumps are worse than those at Dunstans. I live on Dunstans and have never thought they were a problem (except for when I park on one-parking on the hump can make you feel slightly disorientated from kerb). The only times I have heard scraping is when lorries and vans drive over them at over 30mph. In any case I couldn't face the road being dug up again!

• 1 month later...

I also live on Dunstans Road, and whilst glad that the humps would be looked at, I would also like to ask if anything can be done to prevent heavy load vehicles using the road as a shortcut to P Rye?

The trucks/ lorries, and even coaches that crash down the road and over the speed humps actually make our house's foundations rock, not pleasant at all given that it should be a much quieter residential road. It would be great if there could be some measures in place to reduce this pressure on the road, particularly as Barry Rd is only a few roads away and much better placed to take the pressure of heavier vehicles.

Many thanks,

S

Hi ss18,

Apparently it is two humps out of thirteen. No details yet on which one's or by how much more than 100mm + tolerances they're out.

The more pronounced the humps the less attractive the route for lorries! So correcting these two faults wont help. The only effective way to is to block the road or width restrictions. Both would take some arranging. Width restrictions tend to cause a lot of noise - reversing lorries etc. Blocking the road we'd need to consider where.

But the very frst step would be any traffic count data - let me see what Southwark has in its records and if any recent automatic count data and come back here with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Renata,

Do you believe what you have been told?

I regularly pass down Dunstans road and have not seen any works being done. I have not noticed any changes to the heights or spotted any new tarmac.

Has anyone any first hand evidence that this work has actually been done?

Graham

hello,

I live on dunstans road Nr goodrich/library side and they were definitely drilling and doing works on the road a few weeks ago. I don't have a car so was not paying attention to what they were doing exactly. The road was closed though for a weekend.

Hope that helps

Giacomelli

No James, I posted (page 2 of this thread):

To update on this, the results of the survey showed that some of the bumps were too high. These will require reconstruction. I will update here when I receive notification of the timetable from council officers.

Renata

you posted

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi ss18,

> Apparently it is two humps out of thirteen. No

> details yet on which one's or by how much more

> than 100mm + tolerances they're out.

> The more pronounced the humps the less attractive

> the route for lorries! So correcting these two

> faults wont help. The only effective way to is to

> block the road or width restrictions. Both would

> take some arranging. Width restrictions tend to

> cause a lot of noise - reversing lorries etc.

> Blocking the road we'd need to consider where.

> But the very frst step would be any traffic count

> data - let me see what Southwark has in its

> records and if any recent automatic count data and

> come back here with it.

The main thing is that soon we will be at the end of this saga and Dunstan's Rd will have humps that meet the regulations

Renata:))