Pregnancy/Baby Brain! Your anecdotes, please!

Hi there all pregnant ladies and new mums.

Having recently heard some cracking baby/pregnancy brain stories recently (I have a few of my own too!), I'm putting all the best ones together on a website and eventually, will compile a book. If you would like to be involved, I'd love to hear from you! Anything from 1-liners to full stories....

Please check me out on twitter as @preggersmcgee as well as the website (not much there yet, but there will be!)

www.babybrain.moonfruit.com

or simply PM me.

THanks very very much!

Helena

Hi Helena-

Hope you get some really good ones. Most of mine have been so dumb as not to be remembered. The one that does spring to mind was loading the non-refundable coin & key locker at the swim centre the wrong way around... Twice in a row!!

Purchasing goods in Mothercare and leaving everything in the shop. Remembering the next day and rushing to Mothercare in my lunch break - only to find I was a nomal pregnant woman and the shop staff had countless stories of other pregnant women doing exactly the same.

during pregnancy - running a bath, going off to do something else - coming back 10 minutes later to get into lovely hot bath only to realise i never put the plug in. i did this twice!!!! My husband won't let me forget it...

what about insane and inexplicable pregnancy crushes? I had one on Adrian Chiles when I was pregnant with my son. There must have been something wrong with my prego brain then as i don't have any other excuses...

It's the hormones, Lochie ;) I've got a very profound love for Dr Christian Jesson, even though he looks like a hammerhead shark.

My pregnancy/baby brain trademark has to be changing my sons nappy, doing up his clothes then trying to put the new nappy over his trousers, ala Superman. Also leaving drinks/sarnies on the top of the car. Leaving the car unlocked a lot. Preheating the oven, forgetting to put dinner in... You get the gist.

Lots of day to day things such as leaving the gas on, leaving the back door wide open and going to bed (whilst OH out on the lash and came home to find it wide open), walking out leaving the front door open and getting in the car to drive off but OH noticed door was open., booking the wrong train ticket for my boss 4 times in a row!!, running a bath with cold water two times in a row and eventually getting my OH to come and turn the hot water tap on just so I knew it was on!!

yesterday desperately needing a new pair of shoes due to my cankles, ran to next tried on a 6 and a 6.5 - decided on the 6.5 - went to the counter with one of each size, thankfully the saleslady pointed it out to me, went back picked up whwat I thought was a 6.5 was actually a 6 which I discovered when back in the office, raced back to next to swap them stupidly picked up another 6, got all the way to the end of the transaction and the salesman said 'you do realise you are swapping a 6 for a 6?' at which point I thought my head might explode so he told me to stay where I was and he picked up the 6.5 for me so I eventually got some shoes that fit!! *rolls eyes at myself*

Early days with baby #1, postman rings doorbell while I'm still in bed feeding baby. Pull on a pair of trackie bottoms to make myself semi-presentable, and open the door with one boob hanging out of bra. Oh the shame.

Rock rock rocking. The cat. A supermarket trolley (with no baby in). Thought I'd got over it but arrival of number 2 has brought it back with a vengeance. I often catch my older boy looking at me like I'm a complete freak as I rock the double buggy to get the baby to sleep...

Ah yes the rocking. And shush patting. Once hugged my husbands bestfriend goodbye and accidentally tried to "burp" him whilst saying "shhh allright, it's okay..."

to be fair, i was 4 days post-partum...

Pickle, I've done that several times- more often when Seb was slightly older and the postman would always arrive during his 10:30am feed. Postman said after seeing his wife breastfeed all 4 of their kids, he barely noticed...

I had mega-crush on Roger Stirling from MadMen, which has since dissipiated!

Also, on driving no.1 home from nursery (whilst pregnant with no.2) i turned around to see she had no shoes on - thought dammit i left them at nursery, how silly. Got out the car once home (5 minutes drive) to find them happily sitting on the roof of the car - must have been a funny site.

p.s. happy for comments to go on website and for username to be used.

Ruth - you just made me laugh out loud!!! love the shush patting of your friend - hilarious!

pickle - i have also opened the door to postman with boob out!

Also, just remembered - with 4 week old baby, door rang and a lovely passerby said she noticed my keys were still dangling in the front door and would i like to take them inside!!! - could have been disastrous!

I remember one particular door-opening of shame involving a babe on one breast, the other boob flapping freely around, the home phone crooked under my neck while I tried to make sense of some complicated message from virgin media, the midwives calling me on my mobile phone (which was in my pocket) and my helpless mother flapping in the background because all I'd asked her to do was to open the door and she had somehow managed to deadlock us in. All for the sake of getting my P60.

I love the image of all these mothers swaying with various items (or none!) in their arms reciting names of dogs / cats / random family members!

I have plenty of little stories - driving with baby car seat not locked in; getting into car and forgetting how to drive; forgetting to put a nappy on newborn; but, the best story I know is actually my mum's. A couple of months after I was born there was an earthquake (magnitude of 6.9 so not small), she ran out of the house into the street - all the neighbours looking at her asking where her baby is - she had forgotten she had one.

Thought I was being productive, taking the milk out of the freezer one evening to thaw in the refrigerator overnight... left the freezer door open. Husband closed the freezer door, but didn't say anything about it until months later, bless'im.

Early days with new baby, I settled her snugly into the bedside co-sleeper and fell back asleep. Cue cat to sneakily curl-up in my arms. I woke up thinking my baby was still in my arms but had been turned into a cat!

And it's not just we ladies who suffer from baby brain. I left Husband home with our 6 month old daughter so that I could attend an evening acupuncture session. When I returned home from the session, Husband was asleep on the sofa and Baby nowhere in sight. I naturally thought she was sleeping soundly in her hammock. When I gently woke Husband to ask how the evening had been, he jumped up in a panic shouting, "Where's the baby?" and "I left her right here!" [indicates empty sofa] Popping our heads round the corner of the bedroom, we could obviously see her sleeping safely in her hammock. Husband had fogotten that he had put her safely to bed.

xx

p.s. happy for comments to go on website and for username to be used.