Your views on Foie Gras

Thomas Micklewright

Im not sure why you are claiming Franklins, EDT and Beuberry House havent served foie gras?

I have a copy of EDTs old menu showing it served foie gras if you would like it? Why would I make false claims, seems rather silly as I raised the campaign to stop FG?

Im not sure how I can 'step up' the protest other than writing letters. emails and contacting the press? I have a fulltime job so you wont be seeing me outside Le Chardon with a protest board anytime soon!

Yes Blue Brick Cafe is a vegan veggie cafe - in fact we have a meeting there tonight at 7.30pm if you are interested!

Thomas

I thought ponce meant someone with an unjustified or false air of sophistication and that seems to be the usage Ted is aiming at.

You really are bloody tedious sometimes ThoughtPoliceLady, I'm only just recovering from being told that my dislike of modern R&B is because I'm prejudiced only to discover I'm now homophobic too, I best let my mum and her wife know that's the case, they'll be most upset.

Thomas Micklewright Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a copy of EDTs old menu showing it served foie gras if you would like it?

Could you scan it (or take a photo) and post it up on here?

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> (the word only has two dictionary definitions)

Not true. The Oxford dictionary has a number of definitions:

Noun

1 [derogatory] an effeminate man.

2 a man who lives off a prostitute's earnings.

verb

1. live off a prostitute's earnings.

2. [with object] ask for or obtain (something to which one is not strictly entitled):I ponced a cigarette off her

Phrasal Verbs

1. ponce around/about - behave in a ridiculous, ineffective, or posturing way:I ponced around in front of the mirror

Proper Noun

1. a city and a municipality in the southern part of Puerto Rico

Plus, of course, there is the general slang use of the word, which as SJ pointed out is "An individual who attempts to fake having intelligence, class, or culture." I have to say, that has always been my understanding of the most widely accepted meaning of the word.

The etymology is interesting:

1872, slang term, chiefly British, originally "a pimp, a man supported by women" (pouncey in same sense is attested from 1861), of unknown origin, perhaps from Fr. pensionnaire "boarder, lodger, person living without working." Meaning "male homosexual" first attested 1932 in Auden.

WH Auden! Who'd have guessed?

mockney piers Wrote:

> An awful lot of 'foie gras' out there is actually

> just good quality liver pate, particularly in pubs

> that ponce up their menu a bit.

To be honest I'd be surprised if that were true, although a foie gras pate/parfait/terrine might contain plenty of other stuff (e.g. pigs liver) as well as the FG.

A piece of foie gras has a completely different taste and texture to regular liver. Served cold it is buttery and spreadable, served warm it is soft and melting.

Thomas Micklewright Wrote:

> > Yes Blue Brick Cafe is a vegan veggie cafe - in

> fact we have a meeting there tonight at 7.30pm if

> you are interested!

Will they be serving forced rhubarb?

I know what fg is thanks Jeremey.

I never ate it at the EDT and wasn't accusing them, but I have definitely ordered it on a couple of occasions elsewhere in the past only to be sorely disappointed; I would never order it in a gastro pub these days, although it looks like I may never get the chance to regardless!!

mockney piers Wrote:

> I know what fg is thanks Jeremey.

> I never ate it at the EDT and wasn't accusing

> them, but I have definitely ordered it on a couple

> of occasions elsewhere in the past only to be

> sorely disappointed; I would never order it in a

> gastro pub these days, although it looks like I

> may never get the chance to regardless!!

The Prince Regent gastropub on Dulwich Rd are serving a foie gras, rabbit and pigeon terrine with beetroot and horseradish relish today - http://theprinceregent.co.uk/

just don't tell anyone.

mockney piers Wrote:

> I know what fg is thanks Jeremey.

I'm sure you do, my second paragraph was aimed more at other people who seem to think it's just eaten in pate form.

Just to re-re-wind a but, I have never heard the word ponce used as a homophobic jibe.

Equally, Ted apologised for any offence caused, but explained what he had actually meant, which clearly was not homophobic so perhaps as well as accepting his gracious apology, it might also be polite to aknowledge that you misunderstood his post.

I think we can be quite clear what 'ponces at the Victoria' meant....and it's always the same suspects, the rubbbish you tolerate on this foum and then try to reason it out with smarmy psuedo semantics. It was meant as a dig at the owners of the Victoria, and most people that use the word pomce mean it in two ways - one as a description of something effeminate and gay - the other as someone that scrounges/ lives off others......Ted has apologised for all the right reasons...geez can we leave it that.

You seem outnumbered in your interpretation of the word, everyone is clear and you have a different understanding, hardly surprising when you seem to struggle with the difference between imply and infer.

Once again you seem to be mistaking your opinion for fact.

Generally if everyone else seems to think something is quacking it's a bit pointless to maintain that it's not actually a duck, can we all be clear on this and I hitherto ban the mentioning of ducks.

No. You MP, Sean and your little gang of mates prefer to back each other up rather than see what the intention of the word really was, because with you guys, it's not about an objective and fair appraisal but ganging up when the fancy takes you on whoever the next shooting target is. A right little clique of bullies amongst several on this forum.

Bweing outnumbererd doesn't mean I am wrong. It was intended to insult/ slur and if you can't see that then you need your head testing..

Don't cry victim, that's pathetic. I've argued with Strafer on this forum more times than I could count. I've also agreed with him about things, including this.

Ted Max has been posting on here a long time, and I've never known anyone accuse him of being rude / homophobic / racist or anything else.

And no, I've never met Ted, or even shared a PM with him, except possibly a group PM.

You've taken something the wrong way, and fair enough, if you say it's sometimes used as a homophobic word, I'll bow to that and take your word for it. However, several people told you you'd gotten it wrong here, but rather than saying "fair enough, my mistake", you've said everyone is ganging up on you, and started getting aggressive and personal.

Have a fucking word with yourself, you are wrong on this one!