Your views on Foie Gras

Thomas Micklewright

There goes quids, comparing Mickelwright with Wilberforce. Not only is it inappropriate, it's megalomania.

Wilberforce was a rationalist, an MP and a parliamentary campaigner. He did not engage in unilateral guerilla targeting of those involved in the slave trade.

The other problem is that quids uses the views on this to 'prove' that ED's Guardian reading bourgeoisie is hypocritical.

Surely the more rational explanation is that actually the Guardian reading bourgeoisie he stereotypes simply doesn't exist?

It wasn't me who brought up 'moral justice', it was the campaigners (and repeated by you quids in your Wilberforce comment). I'm merely pointing out that their claim to moral righteousness is unfounded and simply incorrect. They are anything but moral. They're a minority special interest group engaged in totalitarian posturing.

????s, with your constant loathing of and moaning about ED's Guardian-reading middle class, you're in danger of becoming a one trick pony.

Perhaps a '????'s law' is needed; like Godwin's but for someone who brings up the lazy stereotype above in a thread.

Also, Foie Gras is most definitely NOT revolting. It's rich, flavoursome and something to be savoured, in its entire form or as a delicious pate, but never ever revolting.

I quite fancy some Pate de Fois Gras to go with my Picpoul de Penet this evening.

Is there anywhere left locally where one can purchase some?

As always Huge you're missing my point, probably deliberately and tieing it up with M's lone crusade, for which I care nothing about. I'm just laughing (andi t is only laughing) at the self-justification of eating a product that's so obviuolsy non-pc and actually revolting manufactured (the prcatice not the actual FG)

I love you all but you but the collective htypocracy by those that wear their 'progressive' politics as a badge of honour makes me chuckle a lot and is an easy and worthwhile target. It's a lovely example of liberal hypocarcy - shit taking a princilpled stand on this means I actually have to make a sacfifice to my priveliged lifestyle...oh, in that case I don't think I'll bother.

Riles people too, doesn't it. To have the shallowness of their principles so clearly exposed.

I just don't think the people you refer to exist?

You've identified "the collective hypocrisy by those that wear their 'progressive' politics as a badge of honour" and you're annoyed by it.

The challenge is that I can see anyone who wears "their 'progressive' politics as a badge of honour".

I don't think those people are here on the forum, or reading the guardian. I think you've invented it as a hate figure.

And if these people don't exist, then by definition there is no hypocrisy.

So it means that you get riled up by a figment of your imagination?

The easiest way to stop being riled up by it is to accept that they don't exist.

Quids, well yes. Except I wear my hypocrisy as a badge of honour - I think it's called the human condition.

As has been discussed elsewhere, we're all hypocrites to one degree or another, not just the Guardianistas, it's simply a matter of where we choose to draw the line.

I won't shop at Primark, largely because I don't hold with throwaway fashion and because their manufacturing practices have been shown time and time again to be unethical. But deep down, I suspect I wouldn't shop there anyway, because, well, I don't really like their clothes and I'm a bit of a fashion snob. I only buy organic or free range meat, but when drunk I've been known to devour a KFC and occasionally un Macdo, and I have no freaking clue what kind of lives the cows who make my many many pairs of shoes have lived.

I still read the Guardian with my head held high. And as for foie gras, I usually don't, but then, if I've had a couple of aperitifs and am feeling disinhibited, sometimes, occasionally, what the heck. Hell, I'd happily eat you if I thought you'd taste good enough with a chateau d'yquem.

It's the EDF Challenge Cup

"And they're off...

It's number 5 "Fois Gras" being chased here by "Finger Likkin Good" followed closely by "Who cares" & "I've go a Tenner on that one"...

They're all there still & coming up to the Final Furlong..

"High & Mighty" is moving up fast followed by "I'm on the fence here" though "Bollix" has pulled out closely followed by "Fairtrade" & " The Guardian " ....is still out there on the left

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Deauville-Clairefontaine_obstacle_2.jpg/800px-Deauville-Clairefontaine_obstacle_2.jpg

It's anyones race ....."

Riled? Where's the riled bit Hugenot? I said it riles other people to have it pointed out...it makes me chuckle - serioulsy I'm not the first one to say do you actually read what people write on here? Or does youer keeness to argue (which I share) mean that you just scan read it and 'think' you know what posters have posted?

So all is rosy in Rosies' garden then....mmmm....would you happily stretch that Human Condition argument into more obviously contraversial SE22 issues, let's say Racism?

I don't eat foie gras myself, but do eat some nice rare pates. I tend to agree with Piersy that most people who are eating 'foie gras' are eating it only in the broadest sense.

It doesn't have to be force fed to be fattened liver. 'Gavage' or force-feeding is a particularly French habit, so odds are if that if it's not the product of France it's not force fed.

However, I've eaten horse, cat, dog, hamster and so on. I don't see any point in differentiating them.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Rosie the line you talk about on principles is

> maybe too often is "when it affects my lifestyle'

Maybe it is "too often" but I for one would rather do something than nothing. I accept that I cannot know the source of the leather that makes a jacket or handbag - does that mean I should therefore say fuck it, I'm a hypocrite if I buy free range meat, so I'll stick to the factory farmed crap?

I have chosen lower returns from ethical investments, which I would argue considerably affects my lifestyle. I have chosen not to work for unethical people who would pay me a shit load more than I'm earning now, which quite definitely affects my lifestyle. My first concern will always be people over animals, which is why the pony sanctuary that recently DM-ed me wasted their cash. People I won't compromise on, animals I occasionally do. I'm happy with that, it fits my principles.

I'm sure other people have worked out their own. And I'm sure there are others who don't really give it that much thought. But I'm kind of with Jesus on his he who is without sin in the greenhouse bit.

I agree with quids to the extent that I was surprised that some of the people who I thought had pretty robust principles, are not concerned by the way FG is produced.

No-one is perfect and everyone has different levels of what they think is wrong, but I didn't expect myself to have higher principles on this than other people I consider generally far more aware and principled than me.

I find it difficult to understand why anyone who cares about other injustices etc would be happy to eat something that was produced as a result of prolonged torture to an animal.

Oh, I don't know - most people wouldn't eat chicken if they had to wring its neck and pluck it - doesn't really tell us anything.

Reminds me of a chum who was devastated in China to see cats in chicken cages being sold at a market for food. They were all packed in and miaouing.

So she rifled her purse, negotiated a price and bought eight to set free. Tragically it all happened so quickly that it took four before she realised that the vendor was snapping the neck of each one as she pulled them out...