Blue recycling bin gone missing

jenniejenjen10 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Our blue recycling bin has gone missing. I had to

> call the council to get us another one. Anyone

> else experienced any wheeley bins going missing?

Blue Bin ?? don't have one of those. What is it for..??

I have Green Bin.. General Waste

Brown Bin.. Garden Waste

Blue Box.. Glass, Cans, Plastic containers.

Blue Bag.. Waste paper/cardboard.

Fox

I have the same as Dulwich Fox, but the bin men are constantly returning the wrong bins to houses in my street, even when the house number is written on the bin, so I should think that one of your neighbours probably has your bin.

It's going to be great when they fit micro-chips to bins and weigh them.

At the momment they Tip every third or fourth bin. filling them up with other peoples rubbish.

So one bin will get charged and the others won't get charged.

Can see people putting their rubbish in other peoples bins to avoid payment.

There will be ---Bin Wars--- :'(

Roy of the Rye Wrote:

> I have been trying to get Southwark council to

> remove the mystery brown bin which they left on

> the pavement outside our house over a month ago.

> It is not ours & has now attracted general litter

> from passersby.

just move it down the road 2 out side some one els'es house m8. then it will be there problem. S.E.P m8 (some one els'es problem). thiers 2 many counsel workers who laeve bins, be they brown or also green they do'nt know if the house older needs the bin as they are getting there instrucion from superiers, they will laeve it then u have the problem. so u need 2 stay 1 step ahead. cheers. gary

I've had terrible problems with the recycling bins - dividers going missing, bins thrown onto plants in front garden and being left outside other houses even with a number on. Worst thing is getting bike tyres punctured by broken glass which is left after they drop things from the bins.

I've e-mailed to complain but things don't change, but I do agree that we are lucky to have a regular collection service and Southwark is at least trying to provide a good service.

I've 'opted out' now and I just walk or cycle down to the recycling centre on Peckham Rye and dump my items once a week. Good exercise and no worries about finding the bin.

I put my shredded papers and some other non shredded paper out in the blue bag yesterday and also put some glass in the box. Today found all the paper stuff tipped into the box. Te bag has gone but there was another bag under the box anyway so u don't think someone was just stealing the bag. I just don't understand why it's happened as it's shredded. I'm now going to have to fish out the soggy paper so I don't get told off for not having it in the bag! Anyone know why someone would do that? I'm stumped.

sophiesofa - you can mix paper and glass ( and other recyclable stuff ) in same bin .

Mixed recycling

?Kerbside properties will be able to mix all of their recyclable items together in one container, with no more need to separate out different waste types.

Have a look here

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200084/recycling_and_waste/2212/service_changes

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> sophiesofa - you can mix paper and glass ( and

> other recyclable stuff ) in same bin .

>

> Mixed recycling

> ?Kerbside properties will be able to mix all of

> their recyclable items together in one container,

> with no more need to separate out different waste

> types.

Thanks texas. That starts in October 2011 though. Didn't know it would be happening though so thanks for the link. Will be great when it does happen.

>

> Have a look here

>

> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200084/recycling_

> and_waste/2212/service_changes

Just been told that our street has been used as an experiment with the new blue recycling wheeley bin....fascinating information I know (apologies)...there has however been some protest against the blue wheeley bin due to it (aparently and in some people's opinion, not mine I couldn't give a monkeys) making the street look ugly. Next to those very pretty green and brown bins I think it looks the prettiest.....and blue is my favourite colour.

Like your thinking rahrahrah, indeed maybe it has been recycled.

Dulwich Fox, I must apologise you must now feel cheated that you do not have the new and improved, trendy blue recycling bins, ha, just kidding. They are heaps better than the boxes tho in my opinion.

I really did not expect to get so many posts in response to this....too funny....what else can I rant about???

You must live in Crebor Street where the experiment offering blue wheelie bins is being carried out - this is as a direct result of feedback people gave me on the forum and nagging council officers.

Hi Roy of the Rye,

Email me and we'll get this fixed - this problem has occurred several times on Derwent Grove.

The blue recycling bins are being tested due to the feedback received from residents within the food recycling pilot areas. It was found that particularly families found that co-mingled recycling in their blue boxes gave them insufficient capacity to suit their requirements and some of their families asked for for wheelie bins for their recyclable solid items (also conversion flats where they could have 1 bin for 2 or 3 households, reducing clutter).

The reason why co-mingled recycling hasn't yet gone borough wide is the current recycling facility in Walworth is situated around the railway lines and there are limits to the design of vehicles that can use this facility (I visited it a few months ago and it's a nightmare for vehicles to navigate there!). A new state-of-the-art recycling facility is being built just off the Old Kent Road. This will be better able to cope with the through flow of vehicles that take co-mingled recyclable solid waste, it is at the point when the new facility becomes fully operational that the wider blue wheelie bins distribution will occur.

Renata

Hi Renata,

I asked residents to repeat the feedback they'd given me. I also asked why the pilot food waste pilot didn't include any council blocks of flats. At the Environment Scrutiny and meeting council officers in private I volunteered East Dulwich to trial both. Hence why Crebor Street used to trial blue wheelie bins and Friern Road blocks of flats. Officers have also decided to have food waste bags without handles but have agreed to trial 2/4 Friern Road blocks with handles and the other 2 blocks without handles to see if it makes a difference to the amount of food waste recycling collected.

Going commingled was programmed to happen last Summer and Autumn but your administration have different priorities.

How do you feel about no longer collecting recycling weekly but going back to fortnightly?

I think we'll see a drop in recycling.

Hi James,

The reason why the co-mingling hasn't rolled out yet is that as I explained above, this will happen once the new Old Kent Road facility is up and running.

I've very glad that you are so supportive of food waste recycling and co-mingling, particularly as Southwark had the 6th worth recycling rate in the country while your administration was in charge. We shall see with regard to co-mingled recycling and frequency. Large blue bins means greater capacity, and fewer vehicles on the road and therefore reduced emissions and running costs. As you well know, this administration, thanks to Central Government suffered a 36million cut to our grant. Savings need to be found on all fronts. The introduction of food recycling means less going to landfill and lower costs. Co-mingled recycling is easier for residents, meaning a greater likelihood of more being recycled. I think this adminstration has acted very quickly to address the appalling recycling rate we inherited. We've only been in office for one year, but already we have carried out a successful pilot on food recycling and co-mingled dry recyclables. Co-mingling is due to be rolled out in October, and I'm delighted that recycling in the pilot areas has increased by nearly 2/3 from 33% to 53-54%.

Renata

jenniejenjen10

you could either paint or put stickers on with your house number so if it ends up in front of the wrong home, the occupants know where it should go! Some of the refuse lorries take the bins directly onto the back and very very occasionally the bin falls in and gets destroyed. if the blue bin you have is not the original but a new one, this is what may have happened.

Renata

Hi jenniejenjen10,

I'm sorry a neighbour has vandalised your ability to easilly recycle. Impersonating someone I would have expected to be an illegal offence - they don't work for a national newspaper do they?

Hi Renata,

Bit rich. When Lib Dems took over from Labour in 2002 recyclingg across Southwark was 3.6% and falling. When we left council officers were predicting 24.6% which somehow turned into 22.13% in reality. Somehow your election pledge to double recyclnig is stated as 40% - come on it should be either 44.26% double the rate you inherited OR more honest double the predicted rate when you wrote your manifesto ie. 49.2%. And I am doing everything I can to help encourage that - trials in East Dulwich blocks of flats for food waste recyclnig, blue wheelie bins trialed in East Dulwich.

Eitherway one of the keys we found to increasing recycling was to go from fortnightly collectinos of recycling to weekly. I think reversing this is a mistake. Yes, comingling does increase recyclnig rates which is wht we planned to introduce it last summer. I'm sure the more recent delays on top of the delays we experienced getting planning persmission for the new waste centre on the Old Kent Road is not helping - the extra build delays shouldn't have occurred. Upshot is with fortnightly collections we are likely to see a fal in recycling rates.

As for the food waste its shipped to the Greenwich and then the Sittingbourne. Really we should anerobically digest it in Southwark - we funded a food waste pilot for commercial businesses a couple of years ago and the food was digested in Lambeth.