Guerrilla Gardening - Dulwich Hamlets FC

Has anyone else noticed the lovely sunflowers which have been planted by the car wash. Saw some people cultivating the land there but not sure if they work in the car wash or they just go round planting on scrub areas. Anyway many thanks to whoever it was - they look lovely!

The guerilla gardening across the whole car park (and extending down the steps that lead away from it at the bottom) has made me smile for months now.

I've seen some of the girls who work at the car wash watering and weeding around the plants on occasion.

It's so lovely. Long may it continue.

I also noticed this last time I was at DHFC.

Really heartwarming.

There's two or three areas near the carwash which have been planted up with flowers. I had forgotten all about it. I meant to ask at the club to see if they knew who was doing it, so I could say thanks for cheering me up!

ae Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

> I've seen some of the girls who work at the car

> wash watering...

The men too! Sometimes with their pressure jet washers! It's fabulous to see such teamwork.

Oh I love living near there! Such great community spirit.

No, I'm not...at all. Sorry! I simply happened to be walking past when planting was in its initial stages. I got chatting to the lovely lady on her hands and knees and offered her some seeds. She was doing such a fantastic job - on what is, after all, our doorstep - and I had some seeds to spare...that's all. She doesn't even live in the immediate area and she pays for the plants herself! I think she is awe-inspiring.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but she planted up a nearby area with bulbs in the Spring - providing an equally stunning display for us all to enjoy during that cold and grim period. Funnily enough, I first met her at that time: I thought she had fallen ill (it was a really cold day and she was squatting down with her hands on the bare ground). Fortunately she was merely checking on her daffodils!

I love the whole idea of Guerilla gardening. Love to see more of it on the lane, especially where the trees are planted. Instead of looking at a pile of dirt, would be nice to see flowers and plants encasing the trees.

monica Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I love the whole idea of Guerilla gardening. Love

> to see more of it on the lane, especially where

> the trees are planted. Instead of looking at a

> pile of dirt, would be nice to see flowers and

> plants encasing the trees.

xxxxxx

I was involved in this when I worked for Islington Council.

For more information on planting up tree pits

See here!

Unfortunately, you may see it decorated with flowers covered by tins and glasses .....

There was somebody near me who planted up their tree pit a year or so back, but I can't remember what road it was, it might have been the bottom end of Upland Road.

It looked really lovely.

I can't do the one outside my house yet because the tree is too young.

Alec John Moore Wrote:

> Tree pit corner of Tyrrell Road and Oakhurst

> Grove.

xxxxxxx

Thanks, but it wasn't down there, must be another one!

ETA: Would be great to get this spreading around East Dulwich - whole roads were getting involved in Islington, it was brilliant.

The taxi driver was John - he used to take great pride in maintaining the flowers round the trees on Underhill, as well as cutting neighbour's hedges, sweeping the pavements and generally taking pride in the area. We used to love walking past his house around Christmas time to see his decorations, very exciting for the kids. He's very much missed by us, my son still asks where his taxi is when we walk past :'(

vicki08 Wrote:

> are you thinking about the one in underhill the

> guy who had the taxi used to plant around 3 trees

> from the corner of upland going towards barry road

xxxxxxxxx

Yes that's probably it, there was more than one tree planted round.

They were lovely.

Alec John Moore Wrote:

> Tree pit corner Tyrrell and Oakhurst. Gaudy.

>

xxxxxxxxx

Well, not sure what you mean by gaudy, but we can't all share your impeccable taste :))

I like bright flowers in the Summer.

i think it would be a great idea to get people doing this around tree pits. it does seem to happen in parts of london, someone mentioned Islington, have also seen it around Kew. Great idea and not much work if you plant fairly hardy plants. yes they may get bottles and rubbish chucked around them from time to time

the parade of shops up norwood road from herne hill has seen a lot of planting around the tree pits. the local traders are fab and have really softened this area which once seemed very cold and urban.

thinking of doing it around the tree pits at the bottom of our road. maybe its something to be done in Springtime to get a good display in summer.