GRIT dog Kennel Hill

macutd

Haven't seen any gritters so far. And I don't think any road I used this morning had been gritted at all - despite advanced warnings of cold weather. I used 13 roads to get to work this morning and not one appeared to have been seen to. Am I wrong? DKH was the worst given that it's the steepest!

CLEARING YOUR PATH OR DRIVEWAY - THE SNOW CODE

Clearing snow and ice from the pavement outside your home or public spaces can help prevent slips and falls. Here's some handy advice issued by the Department for Transport.

Don't be put off clearing paths because you're afraid someone will get injured. Remember, people walking on snow and ice have a responsibility to be careful themselves. Follow the advice from the Department for Transport below to make sure you clear the pathway safely and effectively. And don't believe the myths - it's unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries if you have cleared the path carefully.

TRAVELLING IN SNOW AND SEVERE WEATHER

If you want to know about travelling in snow, we have advice about driving in snow and other severe weather.

CLEAR THE SNOW AND ICE EARLY IN THE DAY

It's easier to move fresh, loose snow rather than hard snow that has packed together from people walking on it. So if possible, start removing the snow and ice in the morning. If you remove the top layer of snow in the morning, any sunshine during the day will help melt any ice beneath. You can then cover the path with salt before nightfall to stop it refreezing overnight.

CLEAR AND PREVENT SLIPS

Pay extra attention to clearing snow and ice from steps and steep pathways - you might need to use more salt on these areas.

Use salt or sand - not water. If you use water to melt the snow, it may refreeze and turn to black ice. Black ice increases the risk of injuries as it is invisible and very slippery.

You can melt snow or prevent black ice by spreading some salt on the area you have cleared. You can use ordinary table or dishwasher salt - a tablespoon for each square metre you clear should work. Don't use the salt found in salting bins - this will be needed to keep the roads clear unless your council advises otherwise. Please contact your local council for more advice.

Be careful not to spread salt on plants or grass as it may damage them.

If you don't have enough salt, you can also use sand or ash. These won't stop the path icing over as effectively as salt, but will provide good grip underfoot.

TAKE CARE WHERE YOU MOVE THE SNOW

When you're shovelling snow, take care where you put it so it doesn't block people's paths or drains. Make sure you make a path down the middle of the area to be cleared first, so you have a clear surface to walk on. Then shovel the snow from the centre of the path to the sides.

OFFER TO CLEAR YOUR NEIGHBOURS' PATHS

If your neighbour will have difficulty getting in and out of their home, offer to clear snow and ice around their property as well. Check that any elderly or disabled neighbours are alright in the cold weather. If you're worried about them, try contacting their relatives or friends, or if necessary the local council.

WINTER SERVICES FROM YOUR LOCAL COUNCIL

Your local council will provide many winter services such as clearing local roads and pavements in your area. For information about your council's winter service, check its website.

This Snow Code advice comes from the Department for Transport.

the junction of lordship lane and barry road did not appear to have been gritted this morning - it does seem rather inept that despite warnings from last week, the council have heen caught out - too busy looking at where they can put double yellows rather than keep the roads safe and moving?.

Yes I too saw DKH on BBC London News, as a car slid at an angle down the hill. Quite impressive really. The problem with grit and salt is that the snow covers it quickly and makes it useless again sometimes and the council can not know exactly when the snow is coming and then coming again. So you can not keep blaming them. Nahhhh go on. Keep blaming the council. It's what yer do. :)

According to the map at https://geo.southwark.gov.uk/connect/analyst/mobile/#/main (screenshot attached) there are four categories of winter grittting routes in Southwark.

LBS Frost Susceptible Roads

LBS Resilience Netwprk

LBS Urban Priority

TFL Red Routes

DKH is in the first category. Does anyone want to explore the taxonomy and any associated procedures?

I did notice a fair amount of pavement gritting in ED, well before any snow arrived.

PS: I se the topic's also been dealt with in James Barber's thread, starting at http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,336529,1913202,page=188#msg-1912784.

Yes, there have been gritters out and Dog Kennel Hill was done! I did observe gritting being done yesterday morning.

Here is the information sent to Councillors about this.

Measures to mitigate the bad weather

Gritting

? We have two gritters with an additional spare available at all times

? We have pre-treated at the following times and dates:

? Monday 26th 20.00 all major routes with a 12gm/m2 spread rate)

? Tuesday 27th 20.00 all major routes (8gm spread rate)

? Wednesday 28th 07.00 all major routes (12gm spread rate)

? Every time we go out on all major routes, we cover 168km (93 miles)

? Tonnage of salt used in last 3 days = 40 tonnes just on road treatments

Please note that at these significantly low temperatures the effectiveness of salt is severely retarded. Below -7 degrees it will have little or no effect in preventing ice formation, it just slows the process down.

Detailed info and the Winter Service Policy & Plan can be found at the following link:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/street-care/gritting

Pavement clearance

We have 230 staff working between 06:00 and 18:00 to clear snow from pavements across the borough and grit around schools, transport hubs and shopping areas.

We have 331 staff working between 08:00 and 16:00 to carry out pavement clearance on our housing estates.

Renata

• 3 weeks later...