good street or bad street?

benmorg

Landcroft is a decent road. Have a few friends who live there as well as in the surrounding streets. i used to live on Thompson Road which runs just off it at the top end and used to walk down Landcroft on my way to Lordship Lane. Bit of a slog up hill on return but nice all the same.

welcome to ED

Does anyone else live on Crebor Street? A lovely place. It is the smallest street in East Dulwich, and has it's own annual street party, bunting and all. Ryedale is fine.I wouldn't live any nearer to LL if you even paid me. What? dodge the Clapham blow-ins of a Saturday night rucking outside the kebab shop by Black Cherry? A faint warm breeze and one could be fooled that you were in the costa del. All the streets east of LL are great. More down to earth and less poncy than those verging towards The Strip.

I looked around houses by ED station and was not impressed at all. Lots of shady characters loitering around outside the undesirable shops there. In terms of rented property they are cheaper, despite proximity to the station.

What are undesirable shops? Some of them are a bit rundown but I don't think any are undesirable. A couple of newsagents, a DIY shop, the bike/running place, a great dry cleaner, fantastic cobbler. Not much undesirable about that. And houses are mainly cheaper because of postcode snobbery as far as i can tell. Some of the roads up towards Bellenden (especially Oglander Rd) have some beautiful houses, and you're closer to the "good" end of LL than a lot of the more expensive places in East Dulwich proper. Maybe I'm biased because I live round there, but I've found it to be a really friendly and safe part of town with better transport links than much of ED, and personally I wouldn't live in any other part of the area. But each to their own.

"Crebor Street? A lovely place. It is the smallest street in East Dulwich"

I used to live right opposite Crebor street, in Dunstan's Road. I moved to Thompson Road - that's got to be another candidate for shortest street in ED - though I reckon the honour really has to go to Plough Lane or Milo Road

I'm just in the process of buying a house in Ryedale. I'm returning to the area after about fifteen years away (I grew up in Friern Road and went to the old St John's primary on Archdale Rd). We looked all over ED and liked the feel of Ryedale (my wife loves Peckham Rye Park). At the moment I have a house just off Lavender Hill and I'm fed up with late night revellers shouting their way down the street after a bit of binge drinking so I steered clear of the roads just off Lordship Lane. Ryedale seems to be a nice spot. Our new house backs on to the old cemetary so nice and peacefull. The CPT isn't that far away which seems to be this forum's boozer of choice. I've got a nine month old baby and he seems to like the Herne.

Now tell me there's a crack house and nightclub at the end of the street!

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I really do think that Tintagel Gardens is the

> shortest street in East Dulwich.

I'm with macroban on this one, only four houses. Almost bought a house there once, but they were asking ?95k which seemed a bit high. Sigh.

[quote name='peckhamboy' on shops near ED station:

A couple of newsagents' date=' a DIY shop, the bike/running place, a great dry cleaner, fantastic cobbler.]

And the (relatively) new music shop's really good too - very helpful and friendly guy who always has music in stock that my daughter has to get hold of. Much better than others I used previously (one of which - formerly in Dulwich - has now closed)

Tintagel Gardens isn't really a street - more like a path on the corner of Zenoria/Oxonian. If it is accepted as a street, Milo Gardens (a path off Milo Road) here: Google Maps would also qualify and is smaller - two 'units' instead of four in Tintagel Gardens.

Of course, as discussed elsewhere, if number of properties is the criterion Cyrena Road is the smallest - no one lives there at all.

Ryedale is a lovely street - we've lived there for just over a year and touch wood we've never had any problems with any crime. Our neighbours are lovely, the views from the back of our house look onto 'the meadow' - ok, it's an old cemetary but it's still green and the closest thing you'll get to a field in this area.

As someone on a previous post said, it's less than five minutes walk to the park and you've got the Co-Op at the end of the street. The only down side is the transport, if you can't live without a train line next to you then it's either a 12 minute walk up a steep hill over to Honor Oak or a long wait for a 5 minute bus journey down into Peckham.

I agree with you about Whateley. But sometimes what makes a street nice is not what you see walking down it but what's hidden behind, e.g. Ryedale looks plain to walk through but as several people point out, one side faces onto green space. Where I currently live in Nunhead (Ivydale Road) is a bland victorian street, but my side backs onto the forest in the cemetery and is utterly quiet, with sound of owls at night and woodpeckers & dawn chorus in spring. I'm sure there are bits of East Dulwich with the same countryified feel, but perhaps with a bit more charm than nunhead otherwise has.

Oi. what's wrong with Whateley? I grew up there :(

The lighting is awful, I'll give you that, and it's meant to be one of the streets getting new lighting this financial year, but nothing as yet. Wouldn't say it's a bad road though, there's never trouble down there. It's quite busy as a through road though, and sound carries quite a lot at night.

Don't be dissin my yard though ;-)