reserving swimming changing cubicles....

Hi, what do people think about the practice of reserving changing cubicles in the pool changing areas by putting your kids' clothes in them?

I take my 4yo swimming at Beckenham Spa and it gets very busy at class changeover times. Most of the cubicles are tiny and it's hard to fit parent + child in there, far less parent + 2 children. There are also 4 large cubicles which are perfectly set up for parent(s) + child + toddler, with a changing table and a sort of high-chair thing which helps immobilise the baby/toddler while you are helping the other one get dressed.

Of course, the large cubicles are very much in demand. And so the solution some people use is to put their kids' stuff in there ahead of time, in order to reserve it for themselves to use at their leisure.

I find it a rather unfair, and wondered if I was alone in this? I struggle to get my daughter changed, while also trying to keep an eye on my 2yo who of course is in perpetual motion. But I would never dream of trying to "reserve" the large cubicles as other people do. I just expect to take what is available when my daughter comes out and is ready to get changed.

I had a minor altercation with another mum over this, and it has left me wondering whether I am being unreasonable?

Not really a serious problem, of course, but just thought I would get opinions from others!!

Claire

I think that's out of order!

Have you spoken to the pool about it?

I think I would be tempted just to go in anyway, lock the door and start changing my child.. if the cubicle is empty apart from the pile of stuff

Or go and hand it in to lost property

Say you thought somebody must have forgotten their things...

I agree!! Well, that's what I did... I went in, though I left the door open

And then the lady came along and said, "Excuse me, our clothes are in here...!"

Anyway, we had a tense discussion during which I said it wasn't on and she said I was "rather unkind". I suggested we share the cubicle, which she did, very unwillingly.

She had twins actually, and she seemed to think that this gave her a right to the large cubicle?!

IMO, if she had 2 baby twins, I wouldn't have minded - it's a tough situation, and you do what you have to do to survive, right? But her children were around 3yo. I pointed out to her that I also have two children, and one of them takes up both of my hands as I have to hold him all the time unless I can contain him in a safe place. I said I realised it was inconvenient for her, but actually all of us with 2 children are in a similar situation.

I did speak to the people on reception and they said they would see about possibly putting a notice up.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion. I know it is a silly little issue really, but got me quite annoyed!

C

People used to do this at crystal palace too and it drove me mad. I used to use the cubicles anyway and hand people their stuff when they came knocking.... Didn't go down too well but they were in the wrong in my opinion! The pool did put notices up eventually after one particularly annoying groupbof mums started leaving buggies in there too so nobody else could actually get in.

That is so annoying and does happen at dulwich baths when i take my eldest for swimming lessons. When I used to take him beckenham, I normally went into the large group changing room which is near where the hairdryers are kept - they had a playpen/cage thing which i could put my then 2 year old in whether he liked it or not and could then dress eldest. It stopped him escaping......I dream of the day when I don't have to take them to swimming lessons!

Hi

This sort of thing really annoys me, especially when the response makes you feel as though you are being unreasonable, although it really is the other way round.

I would do exactly the same as you in this instance.

Kate

It is pretty rude to think you can reserve a space by doing that especially at busy times so I think you were within your rights.. Bit different if she had just nipped out to the loo or something and you had nipped in etc..

Public changing rooms are just that..