2 x 8 Underhill Rd with different postcodes

IlonaM

I have recently become aware that there are now two addresses at '8 Underhill Road' with two different postcodes - SE22 0AH & SE22 0QR/9DX - and at opposite ends of Underhill.

A taxi driver told me about it after he went to the wrong address by mistake and I have now had post for the other address delivered to me. I will repost it with a note to the post office.

Surely it cannot be right for two addresses in the same road to have the same house number even with different postcode.

I am hoping that deliveries for the residents at my address (4 flats) are not going to have misdirected mail etc.

Whilst that might be the case, SE22 0QR has set up a postal address (I think in a new build) for 8 Underhill Rd next to a street sign for Picketts Terrace as far as I can tell from Google Street view (

). All the low Underhill numbers are at the LL/Horniman end of Underhill (SE22 0AH). It is going to be very problematic for deliveries, taxis etc.

On further research the postcode on the parcel appears to be wrong and should be SE22 9DX. Postcode finder records a longer address, but it does not appear to being used?

On James Barber's thread it has been suggested that the addresses being confused are 8 Underhill, and 8 Picketts Terrace - which is formed on 242 Underhill. So the problem arises in either mis-addressing letters or mis-sorting them. Perhaps a note to the sorting office (whilst it's still with us) alerting them to this confusion may help. But the address(es) and the postcodes are, in themselves, kosher. Just being confused.

Hi Penguin,

Yes, on further research it appears that someone is using a shorthand rather than the full address which is resulting in confusion for deliveries, post and taxis. I have written a note on the parcel for the resident requesting they use the full address. I will try the sorting office as well. Really don't want to be losing my mail etc.!

Hopefully it will sort itself out if the full address is used.

I feel for you - we had a similar issue when our house was built as we are one of the last houses on our street and there is a block of flats with the same number as our house which is next door to us, but technically its address is on the street which runs perpendicular to ours - so the numbers are the same and the houses are right next door to each other but we are on different streets if that makes sense.

Deliveries, pizzas, bills and even Southwark Council kept getting the two properties confused for the first couple of years but it hardly even happens now. Only when someone new moves into the block of flats and then only for a couple of weeks. Hopefully yours will be sorted when the other person starts using the full address.

How postal addresses happen at all can be discovered here:

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Royal-Mail-PAF-Code-of-Practice.pdf

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_new_postal_addresses

It may be worthwhile writing a separate note (not just on the parcel) to the person at 8 Pickett's Terrace - also letting them know your name, address and proper postcode in case they get your misdelivered mail, as you have theirs.

I have a similar problem in the Horniman area

A block of relatively new build flats has the same post code as the individual

houses at the other end of the street.

So for instance, when a flat dweller orders good, cab or a takeaway they are asked for their post code and house/flat number. if they don?t correct the order taker to include the name of the block of flats at this stage, then the goods , cab or takeaway has an equal chance of being delivered to the individual house of the same number. This can be very annoying if the flat dweller likes late night takeaways.

Also although I have redirected deliveries, post and cabs on many occasions

I cannot be sure that the other party has done the same for me!