Help! My children won't go to sleep...

So, tonight is the third or fourth night that I haven't got both children to sleep until 9.30, and have been eating my dinner at 10pm or later. I could really do with some advice on how to change their bedtime routine to get them off earlier. I have a 4 year old and 9 month old. 4 year old is always full of energy and even when tired finds it hard to switch off. 9 month old is teething and screams the house down when I try to put him in cot, even though he is also tired. I used to leave 4 year old watching telly with her milk while I did baby's bath and bedtime, so I could then do her bedtime and devote some dedicated time to her doing story, tickles etc, and that was working until quite recently. Now however baby will not play ball and no longer goes down without fuss (sometimes asleep on boob, sometimes awake but happy in cot) as he did - he will eventually go down in cot but only after many tries, much screaming, nursing and him joining me and 4 year old for stories etc etc. Then I still have to do stories tickles etc with 4 year old! I often end up falling asleep next to her I am so tired.

Any great tips? I know it will probably pass and the heat isn't helping, but I'm getting a bit fed up and would like at least part of my evenings back.

Oh, and I'm a single parent so no back up from partner available.

I do sometimes eat with her. But mealtimes are another battle...I certainly wouldn't want to eat the same things as her as that would limit me to plain pasta, egg, cheese and broccoli ::o

I occasionally call in the grandparent cavalry - they are great!

Oh dear! I think the heat, the daylight doesn't help, certainly not with the older ones, my 3 year old has been waking up at 5 ish for a while now, in the winter I used to drag her out of bed cos she was making me late for work.

I am cutting down the sugar, increasing activities, she goes to sleep at 8 and so does the baby. doesn't mean she doesn't walk down the stairs asking for the nappy to be put properly or some cream on her feet or something silly like that...but generally it does work

Do not despair, it will get better, did you try homeopathy for the teething, it calms them down and soothes the pain

Baby naps any time between 9.30 and 10.30 (latest) depending on what time he has woken up in the morning, and then again in the afternoon around 2.30. Usually about an hour each time, sometimes longer.

I had been starting his bedtime with bath around 6.30, but it was getting so long and drawn out that I have moved his slightly later and brought daughter's forward a bit so do bath and pjs on at the same time then daughter has a bit of tv while I try (and fail!) to get baby down.

2Loulou - yes I don't think the long days and heat help, am hoping it will be better tonight now it has cooled down. Thank goodness early morning wakings are not a problem though! I'm afraid I don't believe homeopathy works apart from as a placebo effect but I have tried baby nurofen and doesn't seem to make much difference.