sunburned teenage redhead - best soother?

Any recommendations, she managed to spend the whole of yesterday in the sun at the lido, & though she swaers she applied sunscreen regularly today she's is so sore that I've kept her home today because she can't wear clothes comfortably. Am thinking calendular cream - anyone got any other top tips?

She's 15 and old enough to know better, but that's a whole other thread. Kids, pah!

I have redheads too, and usually randomly forget to cream up at least one leg of one child each holiday so have experience! Caledonia is good, but I would also have one of the Gel creams to hand for some applications as it is the most soothing. Also, put all creams in the fridge so they are super cold for application...Don't forget ibuprofen is a anti-inflammatory and can really help too.

As a redhead in the sun, she probably needed to apply sunscreen much more frequently, eg every 1-1.5 hrs.

Aloe vera gel is great for sunburns, or any type of burns. Keep it in the refrigerator for extra soothing. Any large pharmacy or grocery store will likely stock it. There are even brands made specifically for 'after sun care' --> reading between the lines, made for sunburn.

Alternatively, you can use the pulp straight from the aloe plant if you have one. Just cut the leaves in half and spread the pulp on the burn. This is very effect, but a bit messy. It will be sticky until it dries.

She can also have some oral ibuprofen. Sunburn is an inflammatory reaction, so paracetamol is no good.

And she definitely needs to stay out of the sun until the redness of the burn is gone. Otherwise, more sun exposure will compound the first sunburn. So well done you for keeping her in today. :)

Edited to say, crossed post with gwod, and it looks like we both have a lot of sunburn experience! I'm a blonde and grew up in Texas. It is very difficult not to get sunburned sometimes. I forgot to put sunscreen on the part in my hair once, resulting in a blistered scalp. Ouch.

Look at the places where your daughter is most burned today. Was it shoulders? Nose? Consider using a zinc-based sunscreen on those areas in the future, in addition to regular 'chemical' sunscreen everywhere else.

Magicool - a spray in a can is good for cooling them down - For the future Ultrasun is the best sunscreen I have come across for those that burn easily and are prone to heat rash - it is a once a day application as well which is good for teenagers that forget to reapply! It is not cheap but it is definitely worth it.

Also don't forget that the factor on a sunscreen only increases the time that she can spend in the sun without burning by that factor - i.e if she would normally burn after a couple of minutes (as a redhead probably would) then a factor 30 would only allow her to be exposed to the sun for 60 minutes without burning - reapplying would not give her a further 60 minutes she would need to cover up for the rest of the day. As I know from experience it is very difficult to convince a teenager of that fact!

Sillywoman,

You must be in that awful zone of feeling cross and sorry for her all at once. Poor you.

Health Matters sell some fantastic Aloe Vera after sun cream which I always buy for us to take to Spain. I've tried many, but it is by far the best. I think the make is Organic Baby. It isn't cheap, but is really lovely and goes into the skin nicely - a little goes a long way. From memory it is a white tube with a green aloe vera leaf turned into a person on it, and I think a blue, maybe green screw on lid.

You can also use Lavender Essential Oil directly on burns, though I think that is more to stop the scalding hurting feeling from cooking burns, rather than soothing sun burn.

Hope this helps.

Molly

xxx

Tomatoes also help, sounds random I know but I have had some sunburns in my time and squeezing tomatoes over the affected area really helps to take the sting out.. Also obv aloe vera as everyone is suggesting. If quite bad put on a bean bag (or whatever soft), put the fan on direct and apply any moisturiser over and over again preferably in a spray bottle .. HOpe that helps..

Thanks all (and for the very helpful PM's too).

Yes Molly I am annoyed and sympathetic in equal measure - she is the very picture of dejection currently :). Sunburn is its own punishment - I doubt she really needs any more lectures from me now, but still it's so tempting to slip in an "I told you so'. Will try and restrain myself.

Sainsb's drew a blank on Aloe Vera, so it's off to Health matters for me. Might investigate the 'ultrasun' suncream for future use. Any idea's where I might get it Carrie?

The ibupfofen is a top tip too - I didn't know it could be used for sunburn. Not sure I could convince her of the tomato thing, but that's the kind of girl-scout information I love to have filed away ready to use at the perfect moment - like tomato ketchup for skunk spray. Oh yes, I'm prepared for that little eventuality!

I got badly burned in Greece when I was around 12. It was a recommendation there that natural live yogurt is put on the affected area. Unfortunately for me my mum could only find banana in the Greek supermarket... Certainly was very soothing from memory!!

I also second the aloe Vera tip.

Ultrasun sold by John Lewis (and maybe waitrose) - locally Dr Boo on Northcross Road stock it - also sometimes sold on QVC (I think) and I have got it on line in the past (but can't remember the website I am afraid)

> Also don't forget that the factor on a sunscreen

> only increases the time that she can spend in the

> sun without burning by that factor - i.e if she

> would normally burn after a couple of minutes (as

> a redhead probably would) then a factor 30 would

> only allow her to be exposed to the sun for 60

> minutes without burning - reapplying would not

> give her a further 60 minutes she would need to

> cover up for the rest of the day.

If in the first 60 minutes in the sun, if there is no sunburn, then reapplying DOES give you another 60 minutes.

If in the first 60 minutes in the sun, if a sunburn is beginning to develop, then reapplying gives you less time in proportion to the degree of burn already acquired.

Unfortunately b/c the redness of sunburn does not develop until the next day, it can be difficult to tell if you have burned or not at the time.

Zinc-based sunscreens can provide excellent long-lasting protection in the form of a physical barrier on the skin, as opposed to sunscreens which block UVA/B with a clear chemical. You might have to look for a zinc-based sunscreen at a sports shop that stocks swimwear etc, or online.

:)

With many many thanks to all for the very useful tips on here, all so helpful - particularly the Aloe Vera plant from lovely pebbles (Thankyou). Red-head went to school today & though is still sore & tender no sign of dread bubbling skin or peeling as yet. We're keeping on moisturising & AV-ing 'til it's all gone - hopefully by the time she has to shoulder a 70l rucksack full of kit for her DofE this coming weekend.

Ah, life with teens!

I didn't think you can get it over here, but after a bit of googling, something like this is good. Aloe vera, vitamin e and lidocaine. Cooling with added pain relief! We got something similar in carribean a few years back when my wife and I both failed to put enough sun block on tops of our feet.