More water supply issues on Lordship Lane

ianjm

Thames Water dealing with a leak affecting 200 customers this morning at the south end of Lordship Lane (and 1 customer = 1 house OR 1 block of flats so total number of people could be a lot higher). They really need to get their act together.

It would help when the Council allow a plot to be a block of flats, or a house to be converted to 3 dwellings, that they get the INFRASTRUCTURE in place FIRST. This is not he fault of Thames Water it is the result of stupid Town 'Planning' ( which seems to err on the side of how many votes Labour can rustle up from a single application) Sorry for the cynicism- well actually I'm not because it is TRUE

I've noticed a few leaks in East Dulwich and some leak seem to go on for long durations with out repair. From what I can ascertain the leak problem is quite substantial underwater companies are hiding the fact that they have a problem. They're more interested in profiteering and then addressing leaks. Ofwat are slow to act and when they do there ineffectual at making sure companies actually maintain a well maintained infrastructure.

On the wider question of local infrastructure, I fear uncleglen is right. A case in point is the now thankfully shelved development at DHFC and Green Dale, where the developer proposed to build 155 dwellings where none currently exist. As someone deeply involved in the campaign to stop the development, I read through all the documentation, including comments from statutory stakeholders including the emergency services, utilities etc. One response that stood out among the mainly box-ticking that was going on was Thames Water's:

"The existing water supply infrastructure has insufficient capacity to meet the additional demands for the proposed development. Thames Water therefore recommend the following condition be imposed: Development should not be commenced until: Impact studies of the existing water supply infrastructure have been submitted to, and approved in writing by, the local planning authority (in consultation with Thames Water). The studies should determine the magnitude of any new additional capacity required in the system and a suitable connection point.

Reason: To ensure that the water supply infrastructure has sufficient capacity to cope with the/this additional demand."

And was anything done to further investigate the impact on water supply? No, not a thing. Their response was completely ignored by the developers and the council, so if the plan had gone ahead, Thames Water would have have just had to lump it and deal with the consequences.