Sugar? (New shop by Goose Green roundabout)

djw

yes, ladies clothes and accessories, and some 'acceptable gifts'.

as i said on the other thread, the really useful thing about this site is that it effectively extends the retail strip by a good hundred yards or so. if you look at that area there is nero cafe, ED Warehouse coming soon, big empty, allans flowers, more empty, then walk in offices.

sugar and ED Warehouse make it far more likely that the disused news agents at 2 and the big unit at 6 LL will be promoted and marketted as retail ventures, which, if the right businesses go in, will bee good for all of us.

Ultraconsultancy - back to the main task of saying sensible things about retail SME start ups!

The empty newsagents has planning in to become a denist over all floors - defintely a good additon to LL.

Proposal: Change of use from a single retail unit (Class A1) with residential accommodation to a dental surgery occupying all floors (Class D1). Erection of flat roof ground floor rear extension, first floor and second floor rear extension. Alterations to shop front and front elevation.

Environmental Impact Assessment Status:

Not required by Regs & nothing submitted

Conservation Area: Not in a conservation area

Listed Building Grade: Not a listed building

Date Received: 12/09/2007

Date Started: 21/09/2007

Consultation start date: 12/09/2007

Site Notice date: 27/09/2007

Consultation end date: 24/10/2007

TJS - I've been keeping an eye on 2 LL for some time, and can add a wee bit. The planning app is in the name Nadjafi, who is a partner in Dulwich Dental further up LL at 68 IIRC. And the builders I spoke to recently said they were working for said dentist, so it looks like the work is under way. However, a conversion from A1 to D1 dental is not the easiest change of use, and might take a wee while. bottom line is, as I have said above, it will boost that end of LL but it is unlikely that there waill be a nett increase in dental favilities in LL if Dr Nadjafi simply moves. It will however open up the unit at 68 LL for letting. If I'm mistaken about any of this do feel free to contradict me.

Ultraconsultancy

Thanks for the update UC, I have notice planning has been started before on 2 LL, it never got completed, but the Consultation finished yesterday, so they should (he say carefully) have an answer soon - I can't see why they would not let it as the building is a mess....any ideas on 6 LL?

Some councils have a blanket policy [unstated in some cases] not to allow any retail to go to any other use. But in a case like this [i mean no 2 LL] the retail site has been unused, and the owners offer is to bring it back into use so long as he gets the changes he wants. As I've said elsewhere and often, it's a dark art.

IIRC no 6 has two slightly contradictory change of use applications in at the moment, both from its existing class D. I think these apps have been made by the owners, Parkhill, so that they can put the property on the market to let and attract that largest number of potential users for a broad spectrum of uses, with consents already in place. Which if one is a commercial freehold investor, is the right thing to do.

Again if anyone knows better please feel free to say so.

Ultraconsutancy

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, tjs, I hadn't kept a close eye on this, but thought you'd said earlier consultation had closed. Which means I imagine it's simply waiting for a decision from planning dept case officer.

I'd rather see it go ahead, a dental surgery is way better than an empty shop by a mile, and if the freehold is in the private hands of said dentist then if the app fails his temptation would be to sell out; enter Parkhill [spine-chilling music].

Mr Allan's flowers is going to miss all that unused pavement space tho, i'll bet.

Ultraconsultancy

UC, it did try once, but appeared to give up, here is the latest attempt, consultation closed on the 24th Oct, so a decision should be made reasonsbaly soon.

Application Number: 07-AP-2186

Planning Case File Number: TP/2315-2

Application Type: Full Planning Permission

Ward: East Dulwich

Community Council: Dulwich

Proposal: Change of use from a single retail unit (Class A1) with residential accommodation to a dental surgery occupying all floors (Class D1). Erection of flat roof ground floor rear extension, first floor and second floor rear extension. Alterations to shop front and front elevation.

Environmental Impact Assessment Status:

Not required by Regs & nothing submitted

Conservation Area: Not in a conservation area

Listed Building Grade: Not a listed building

Date Received: 12/09/2007

Date Started: 21/09/2007

Consultation start date: 12/09/2007

Site Notice date: 27/09/2007

Consultation end date: 24/10/2007

Decision: application not yet decided

Decision date: application not yet decided

Expected decision level: Delegated Officer

Case Officer: Dan Taylor

telephone: 020 7525 5450

email: [email protected]

Applicant: Dr. A.R. Nadjafi

Agent: Mr A. Hollins

AH Planning Ltd

20 Salford Road

London

So, from the sounds of it, No 2 is trying to get a change of use from A to D (retail to Dentist) while no. 6 is being let to Jojo, (ie retail) who will have to request change of use from D to A. Now, that sounds REALLY sensible... glad that's what we pay our taxes for! Why couldn't they each have gone for the site with the right permissions to start with? Or is it a case with Jojo, as was with Caffe Nero that they'll just put it up and ride the planning storm afterwards...

"Sugar" looked all set to open when I went past today (other than having no prices in the window display!)- it looks the kind of shop you'd find in "The Glades" in Bromley, only not in the main part of the Mall but down that little "sidestreet" near Ottakar's. However, given that that short block has 2 empty shops and 3 estate agents I think it has to be an improvement to the area (even if one of the estate agents is famed for generously offering free 'Net access to customers/passers-by/mischief-makers....).

And White Stuff appears now to have both Christmas decorations and Pudsey Bear in the window....