Give A Hand LTD NOT a "Charity" Clothing Collection

Just had a leaflet through the door from Give a Hand LTD (Company registration number 7607124)

offering to collect unwanted clothing etc. There is no mention on leaflet of this being a charity

and there is no website, just a gmail email address. My donations will help people in need in the

UK, Europe and Africa.

My gut feeling is that this is a scam, does anyone know how I might check out the reg number? Have

tried Google but no luck, or has anyone heard of this company?

Edited the subject line as I now think it's fair to say that this company is not helping people in

the UK, Europe and Africa.

Hmm, doesn't look like they will have much of a track record to back up a reputaion for helping people in need. It's easy to be cynical about this but most charities will also be registered as companies limited by guarantee and they often use "for-profit" companies to run commercial services. If an organisation is operating as a charity then it will be regulated by the Charity Commission and will be required to make public information about its finances and its actitivies.

Just picked up on this news that police are "making progress on bogus clothing collectors".

http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/citypolice/#

Interestingly this links to a couple of threads on EDF:

"In recent months it has emerged how charity shops are being badly hit as bags of clothes donated to them are being removed from the pavement before the legitimate collectors arrive.

In other cases fraudsters provide collection bags that appear to be from legitimate charities but take the donations to sell abroad. "

Alec

• 3 months later...
I think it worth mentioning though that charities do often outsource their fundraising, including clothing collection, to standard profit-making companies. I've recently had the rspca, shelter, and a couple of others fundraising door to door, and not one was doing it themselves. So regularly there is a middleman paying their staff, and making their profit margin, before the charity gets their 30% slice if they're lucky.