post-baby weight GAIN....

Hiya - i need some encouragement and motivation, coupled with some ideas, please!

My LO is now 4.5 months old and whereas I never expected to shed all the babyweight by now, I am getting depressed over the fact that I am actually putting on weight! Jeans which fit my legs and bum even towards the end of pregnancy are now getting too tight, and my arms are getting chunky (I've always been pretty proud of my arms up to now...). It's really upsetting me, especially as I know it's entirely down to my eating too much (out of boredom & tiredness) and lack of exercise. And then as I am upset, I reach for the chocolate (biscuit, cake, bar, ice cream, all of the above).

I try to go for walks, though A is getting increasingly less inclined to be in a buggy for any length of time (that's a whole other story) and frankly, I don't think it is enough of an exercise to shift the pounds. I somehow need to change my attitude to eating (i.e. not seeking comfort in eating) but am seriously lacking in motivation (did i hear a packed of biscuits being opened?). Any tips would be appreciated!

That's exactly what happened to me in the months following the birth of both children - I started off feeling not too bad about myself, then the weight started piling on.

For me the solution was going along to Liz Stuart's powerpramming classes (great fun, you go at your own pace, and a chance to meet lots of other Mums who are also motivated to get healthy), and WeightWatchers. I'll hold my hand up to having been a WW leader (years ago), but have no connection to them now, but it did work for me both times and I was back to my pre-baby size within a few months of joining.

This time of year is ideal for trying to kick start weight loss - sunny days makes exercise seem more appealing, and it's salad weather (almost!).

Good luck, I think the first step is acknowledging that you need to do something about it, so you're on the right track already.

P x

I need to do this too. Mima I don't have any suggestions only empathy. For me it has to be eating related as baby currently waking around 5 and settling around 8 so I really cannot go for a run! My husband signed us both up to weightwatchers online but it's so tedious plugging in all your meals and it has given me no incentive whatsoever.....just made me depressed that I'm paying for something and not using it....and I'm just so HUNGRY!!

I've also done this with al 3 children. Put on very little weight in pregnancy but put more on afterwards despite breastfeeding. (due to lack of excercise and v bad eating habits.)

Like Pickle I've done weight watchers every time, it works for me. I go to the meetings, don't stay for te talk just go and get weighed and for me that's enough incentive to stick to it.

I go to a morning meeting so I'm not trying to fit it in with everything else in the evening. Several people go with babies or toddlers in tow.

Yep this happened to me too - not a lot of exercise and plenty of bourbon creams. After a year I decided something needed to be done especially as I was very fit and healthy during my pregnancy.

Last July I rejoined weightwatchers (did it a few years ago) and swim 40 length once a week, and have lost 17lb, still got a few pounds to go but getting back into alot of my pre-pregnancy clothes which has really pleased me.

The only thing I will say about weightwatchers is I know alot of people (myself included) who have done it, got very close to their goal weight and then have found themselves pregnant!! Must be something in their ready-meals ;-)

Mima - I felt exactly the same after my first child (I never bothered to lose weight between kids) and vowed that I wouldn't after my second (and last !;-)).

I signed up with a personal trainer - yes I know it's expensive but that was the one thing that kept me going and I did that fortnightly (with Davina videos and swimming) in between.

And yes I did Weight watchers. It took me 9 months - March 2010 to December 2010 but I lost 70lbs. Boring as all h*ll - but worth it.

And yes - I'm a Weight Watchers leader now, running classes locally. If I can help at all - Weight watchers or no weight watchers, please let me know. I've definitely been there and have come out the other side. You definitely can too!!

Sorry if that sounded salesy at all - def didn't mean to :) xxx

I am in same boat although baby is now seven months. I lost some of the weight - no idea how much as I did not weigh myself when hugely pregnant or since. But being a freelancer and having a baby means working whenever baby naps, on weekends and in the evenings. Fitting exercise in is very difficult and frequently I am so tired that going for a run or doing an exercise DVD is unthinkable. Moreover my husband and I never used to order in but since the (2nd) baby we have had more takeaway meals than in our 13 years together.

I think I have started to put weight back on recently since I am breastfeeding a lot less and eating a lot more.

I would be interested to know more about Weight Watchers ryedalema - what does it involve exactly and cost etc. I know nothing except points are somehow involved. Do you have to go to meetings?

Thank you all for your comments. It's good to hear I am not alone and actually, it is quite liberating to admit that my eating habits have sunk to pretty low standards (actually - some of the food i eat is really healthy, just in addition to the really unhealthy stuff I also eat!)

Pickle - you are right: this is the time, especially as I really, really want to feel comfortable when on the beach on hols (I know - hard to achieve but in the past possible, just some more normal hang-ups...).

I have started a little exercising:a fitness programme on the WII and even went for a run today (unfortunately followed by a bacon sandwich & chocolate biscuits...)

There seems to be an overwhelming case for going along to WeightWatchers, some very impressive losses, ladies! Catgirl, I like your approach, seems very efficient and I did not there are morning meetings too. Ryedalema, maybe you could explain a little about WW? Like supergolden, I haven't got a clue about how it works. I have never bothered in the past, because I know what foods are good / bad and every time I put on too much weight, I cut out the bad & increased the exercise (there even was a time about 4 years ago where I could eat whatever I want, as I had managed to get my metabolism up, nothing stuck - sigh!)

So would the WW help with the motivation? Will I have to follow set recipes? (Mook, I am willing to take the risk ;-))

I have used a personal trainer in the past, which I did enjoy, however financially this is not an option now - unfortunately

Lastly, snowboarder, if I find something that works, I will make sure to let you know...!

In terms of encouragement Mima - you can do it but your baby is still pretty young so cut yourself some slack. At first tiredness and lack of free time conspire to make you eat more, then there are all those coffee mornings with other mums...

Since comfort eating is your downfall (mine too) here are some tips (if only I could follow my own advice)

* dont keep cakes, sweets, treats in the house. If they are there you know they will be eaten.

* dont deny yourself everything this usually backfires

* have some easy healthy lunch options available (this is where I fail miserably)

* eat breakfast - a proper breakfast with lean protein if possible (ditto)

* I find having some sugar free chewing gum will stop me from snacking (too) much

* dont drink too much juice (my one craving when pregnant)

* coffee and tea contain lots of calories if you like them milky. Go for skinny or black option

* drink lots of water especially if breastfeeding

Try to fit in a little exercise when possible - even 10 minutes a day helps. I have some great exercise dvds ripped as MP4s happy to send you copies. I recently downloaded an app for 4minute workouts - but have not tried it yet...

Going on holiday in two months - I hope spanx makes swimsuits

since the Wii was mentioned I will share this funny story

I went on it when I was a few weeks pregnant and created my avatar. I did not use it for rest of pregnancy and second time I went on the fitness thingamabob post pregnancy the wii actually FATTENED my avatar. Well it's funny now - not so funny when it happened...

I now wisely stay away from it

With WW you can pretty much eat "normal" food, it's just about portion control and the realisation that by making healthy choices you can actually eat a lot more than if you choose high fat unhealthy foods. I have always loved their recipe books and still use them now (I have pretty much all the books they've ever done due to my time as a leader), they are practical and contain recipes that the whole family can eat. It's not diet food, just normal healthy food.

I used to run a couple of morning meetings where the majority of people were Mums with young children - so if you do want to stay for meetings you won't be the only one with a baby.

When I first did WW (post arriving in the UK, where my diet consisted of Brick Lane curry and alcohol... I was in my mid 20's and loving every minute!) I did it online as it suited my lifestyle. I lost a lot of weight and kept it off for 5 years before getting pregnant with my son.

I too put on loads of weight with my second pregnancy (baby now 7 months old) and felt very depressed about how large I had become - I didn't feel like me at all, felt sorry for myself and thought, what the hell, I may as well have another chocolate bar/cake/biscuit etc. Like you, I reached a point where I felt enough was enough and I needed to tackle the problem but I did fear I wouldn't be able to lose the weight and would never fit back into my old clothes. But I really wanted my identity back again and that was my motivation.

I have lost most of the weight now, but am struggling to keep it off. I had begun to get complacent and had not stuck to my original rules but they are currently being reinstated due to forthcoming holiday....meaning the dreaded bikini!

My top tips would be similar to supergolden's

Plan your meals carefully. Set your menu for your 3 meals each day and stick to it.

Don't buy unhealthy food - if it isn't in the house you can't eat it.

Buy one bar of your favourite chocolate and allow yourself 3-4 squares when you are desperate for some.

Exercise at least 3 times a week doing whatever you enjoy, but something more strenuous than walking (even if a combination of jogging/walking, which is all I can manage).

Weigh yourself regularly (I'm sure other people would disagree with this advice but for me, if I tip over a certain level then I know I have to keep myself in check again).

Keep busy - the more I cram into the day, the less time I have to think about food!

And I'd like to second Liz's power pramming classes It's good for the soul to get outside and do some exercise - and you realise you're not the only one in this position. Most new mums are struggling to wrestle back some control over their bodies and how they look. And Liz is fantastic!

If you can commit to doing the healthy eating and exercise for about a month and then take a look at what progress you've made, that will be all the motivation you need. It's only when you start to see results that you can keep going, in my opinion.

Sorry I'm rambling on....but it's a subject I feel passionate about at the moment!

Best of luck!

Ditto what Pickle says..it's really easy and based on how food gets processed by the body. You can eat whatever you like and is based on a points system. Each and every food gets allocated a ProPoint value (which is in your beginning literature) and you eat up to your daily propoints allowance, then you get a weekly propoints allowance as we well, and can earn extra points through exercise. You can do the whole thing online if you want, or come to a meeting and buy a monthly pass, then you can go to the meetings and use the online facilities too.

this is their main website

The meetings are really, really good for motivation as everyone's in the same boat (and they're not at all like the Little Britain sketches :))

My meetings are at Anerley Town Hall at 6.30pm on Tuesdays, and Peckham Academy (Peckham Road) on Thursdays at 6.30pm, but there are loads around ED, at Darrell Road Community centre, at Barry Road church, at Harris Girls' Academy - use the 'find a meeting' facility for more info.

Now that really did sound salesy! So so sorry xxx

Post current pregnancy I intend to hit the ground with my previous disiplined eating habits - I have been cutting myself a LOT of slack, and dread to think what the scales will say when I arrive home with the bundle!

Just thought I would add my top tips though - mainly learned through WW a few years ago. I stopped weight-ins when I reached my goal but the theory stayed with me for years.

- bulk out all meals with fruit and veg, when countiung points meals can look really mean, espically when your starving. Banana on all bran/weetabix is great, and is much more filling. Bulk out a sandwich at lunch, and dinner I try to have 3 different veg. 5 a day is a breeze!

- snack on fruit mid morning and mid afternoon, have loads of fresh and ripe stock available, you can also convince yourself that a few lovely strawberries will satisfy a sweet craving (!). Try to avoid getting too hungry for your main meals.

- freeze bananas to make smoothies, or a frozen 'dessert'

- thirst often manifests itself as hunger. If you are feeling hungry and its not mealtime, you're probably thirsty. Keep a chilled bottle of water in the fridge and that way monitor your daily intake, I try to do 2 liters a day at the moment, and chilled is so much easier to drink. Again if I think I need a sweet burst I have a glass of half apple juice half fizzy water (very refreshing!)

- dont ever skip meals, always eat something to keep you going otherwise you will reach for something that will do you no favours later on

- took me a long time to realise that 'deny deny deny' would only lead to a huge pig out later, so have a treat regularly, just don't trust your self to do portion control at home, so buy small. (I know that if I buy a packet of buscuits, I will eat the packet, usually in about 2 sittings!)

- if you have a bad day, start again, preferably later that day, or latest the next day

- exercise in the morning if possible. Get into the mindset of 'that was HARD, so I'm not going to undo my good work with a treat'.

As with the rest of you above, I'm great at handing this advice out, but my sweet tooth and laziness are my killer. Luckily I'm vain(!) and love clothes (can't wait to get out of this awful maternity rubbish), so I treat myself with a purchase when things are going to plan, and that is a great motivator for me. We'll see how all this goes post baby arrival (I imagine you all reading this with a knowing, wistful look in your eye thinking, 'bless, she hasn't got a clue... I remember being this deluded'!!!)

Its hard. But good luck. And take pride in whatever you achieve.

supergolden88 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> At first tiredness and lack of free time conspire to make you eat more, then there are all those coffee mornings with other mums...

>

>Yep - that sums it up exactly! ;-)

Thank you all very much for the words of encouragement and tips - I really do feel much more motivated. The powerpramming session is tomorrow in Peckham Rye Park, so I will not let the rain deter me!

On the eating front I particularly like being reminded to bulk everything out with healthy options - I remember, I used to make myself drink a glass of water before eating anything - helps with getting sufficient fluids and makes your stomach feel full quicker (and actually makes some treats feel less "treat-y")

Supergolden - can I take you up on the offer of those mp4s? I do enjoy exercise DvDs but get bored with them quickly, so I tend not to buy them (haven't since the days of videos...ehm). And yes, will also visit spanx website to check for swimsuits, lol.

A few of you said about lunches, and I just realised, that is probably the area of my main downfall. I don't plan them in any way, either go out to meet other mums (bad cake temptation) or forget about eating till early afternoon and then dig into the biscuits (or something with too much cheese) because I feel too hungry for healthy stuff. Then feel depressed and eat some more - arrrgh! So will pay attention to this and plan for healthy options instead.

I guess, the other area of downfall is because looking after a little baby is not - dare i say it- intellectually very challenging (but very hard and tiring work, nevertheless). So I do find myself bored sometimes (and I cannot realistically be out all of the time, to start with A does not sleep very well when out and about). I guess I just need to reach for the fruit instead.

I am looking into the WW options - thanks all for the advice! Plus - the target of 1 month to look for some progress sounds good: not too soon but not too long either!

Will come back to this thread to report on the success, and look forward to hearing from others about their successes too!

I've just remembered a top tip which may help you. The production teams at the BBC who worked on 'Truth About Food' and '10 Things You Didn't Know About Losing Weight' lost a lot of weight using the knowledge they built up from working on the series. Their key advice was to eat soup for lunch, because it makes you feel fuller for longer than solid food does. There was a whole load of science which went along with this but I can't remember it! The other one, which I think most people are aware of, is that protein keeps you fuller for longer.

Sadly I'm a slave to carbs, especially when breastfeeding, so I haven't the willpower to use this advice!

Hi there,

I run a weight management clinic with a dietitian and my big advice would be to eat more wholegrain, low GI foods that keep you full for longer, and do lots of exercise!! Liz's powerpramming is great and just get out there and walk lots!! I have 2 small ones but make sure I have time to get out for a jog once a week with some other mums and also do some pilates. I really can't stress the importance of diet and exercise together!! Good luck and get out there in this sunshine!!

I am going through this too. When I'd just had my son I thought I looked Ok but now, 8 months on I feel like a blob! I have just re-joined WeightWatchers but am doing it online as I just don't have the time or energy for meetings at the moment (I did it this way a while ago and lost 20lbs so I know it does work for me). Have also been doing post-natal pilates to try and tone up a bit and am starting to see a bit of a difference.

Good luck with your weightloss - at least it seems like there's quite a few of us going through the same thing :-S

Good luck Emma and all of you. It's such a big step recognising that you want changes things, and taking responsibility for sorting it out.

It takes a while - I guess all good things are worth waiting for.

But it's such a high when people start to notice!

xxxx

I've just restarted weight watchers too but am not convinced about the new pro points plan - I seem to be able to eat loads and still have points left over . . . . No weight loss either after week 1 (had consistent weight loss on the old plan). Will keep going though

Just had a very brief look online at the weight watchers plan and must say my baby brain is going - pro points? Charts? Let me just eat a cookie while I digest this information.

Does it come as an app? Otherwise looks too complicated. Convince me otherwise!

On a day to day basis what does the online WW involve? If I have to spend ages calculating what I have eaten and then time inputing online clearly not the plan for me

I had this too, I can second and third the theory that having anything nice in the house results in temptation! I cut out all alcohol during the week but allowed myself Friday and Saturday night as wine night. I also got into a routine of as soon as I put my daughter to bed i'd go straight and change into gym stuff and do a workout DVD, I bought about 4 or 5 and mixed it up every night. When I got a bit stronger and fitter I added some cans of baked beans into the workout and as I got stronger again I bought some weights. I wasn't able to commit to classes as my husband works late and I would be too hungry and tired by the time he was home. I worked out every night apart from weekends, 30 - 40 mins, but started with 20 min sessions. I didn't weigh myself but did measure myself, I got a bit despondent with that too but I knew I had to keep going.

Most of all though be kind to yourself and buy some nice undies in your current size, or a nice top, something that you can put on and feel good about, it doesn't matter if it doesn't fit you in a few months, but feeling good now does matter.

Supergolden - yes - from my brief flirtation with ww online you input everything you eat in the day and it works out your points - but this is tedious in the extreme when you've say cooked a meal and have to estimate values etc and input recipes....