> I have a friend who was taken into Dulwich

> Hospital many years ago. They ran some tests on

> him and apparently discovered that he was born of

> a jackal!

Well, every dog has his day.

East Dulwich Angst Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It wasn't between those two buildings, I've got a

> funny feeling that it might have run to St.

> Francis hospital. Not 100% sure but will know for

> sure tomorrow.

What are you doing tomorrow then? I know you are just gagging to tell us.

Domitianus Wrote:

> I have a friend who was taken into Dulwich

> Hospital many years ago. They ran some tests on

> him and apparently discovered that he was born of

> a jackal!

This isn't true. I made it up. I just thought I should clarify that fact.

Domitianus Wrote:

> Domitianus Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I have a friend who was taken into Dulwich

> > Hospital many years ago. They ran some tests

> on

> > him and apparently discovered that he was born

> of

> > a jackal!

>

> This isn't true. I made it up. I just thought I

> should clarify that fact.

Just don't want to get anyone in trouble, you understand? Since we have a local chemist dispensing Domestos or whatever instead of cough syrup, I didn't want anyone to think that Dulwich Hospital couldn't tell one species from another.

It starts behind Dulwich Hospital where all the big pipes are b4 the railway line. Maudsley end is down the stairs in one of the buildings in decrespney pk (I know I've spelt that wrong) Dont know where it comes up in Kings...gonna google it to see if anything comes up

St Francis Hospital used to house the Geriatric and psychiatric wards that where part of the 'Kings' domain. the psychiatric wards were truely dire!. There was also Spurgeon ward which was for Infectious Diseases (all the patients had HIV - the late 80s). Next to the hospital was Hambledon Court (which is still there) which was the residence of many healthcare workers from Kings and Dulwich. The Tunnel was vital to get from one site to the other for many staff, visitors or just people wanting a short cut between East Dulwich Grove and Dog kennel Hill.

Hmm... I could understand a tunnel going from the basement of the older Kings building under Denmark Hill to a building in the Maudsley (although a lot of the Maudsley has been redeveloped in recent years).

A tunnel between Dulwich and the Maudsley would be a major feat of engineering as the are about a mile apart (as the crow flies), have a large hill in between and a main railway line the Maudsley side of the hill.

Why would anyone build such a long tunnel between Dulwich and the maudsley?

OMIGOD! If there was a tunnel between ED and Camberwell we could be invaded - nobody tell Alan!! ::o

This is a great thread, really interesting. I went into Dulwich Hosptial about 2 months ago and the interior of the ground floor had all been re-painted. I've always loved those viaduct things and went to see if people could still walk along them, but the access doors were all locked. I bet there's some health & safety reason behind it.

Ko Wrote:

I've always loved those viaduct things and went to see if people could still walk along them, but the access doors were all locked. I bet there's some health & safety reason behind it.

You can still access some of them from the far side of the building, up at the x-ray dept end.

The A & E at Dulwich was still in existance in the early 1960's .I broke my finger playing netball at Friern school around 1963-1965 and was sent down to Dulwich A & E to have it x rayed and strapped.

In 1954 I had my tonsils out in Dulwich - all I remember was a massive ward with loads of beds - big tables down the middle where you had your dinner and some with jig saws on. Remember this well as nurses were 'mean' to me telling me off because I did not have a dressing gown, and my mum explaining that she could not afford to buy me a dressing gown.I remember crying my eyes out when Mum left the ward- visiting times were very strict and limited to about an hour a day even for kids.

My god sons were born in Dulwich Hospital (they are 30 and 28 now) filthy wards, I was gladI had my last daughter (now almost 22) in Kings.

Tunnel was between the main Dulwich Hospital Site and St. Francis site - lovely and warm in the winter as the pipes went through there.