Does ED need more 'blue' (plaques)?

Maurice

Ah those lovely blue plaques are vying for our vote again. East Dulwich and Camberwell and Peckham all fare well - even one that incorporates the disputed DMZ zone between the two. Here are a couple on offer of local note (hoping to avoid the dreaded Lounge (link to all and vote at bottom). Vote early and often!

Anne Shelton, 1928 to 1994

The wartime 'forces favourite'

Born as Patricia Sibley at 39 Coleman Road, Camberwell. In 1940 she moved to 142 Court Lane, Dulwich, where she lived for 50 years. She became a popular singer from 1940 and during the second world war, she broadcast to the RAF during the long siege in Malta. She sang with Glenn Miller and Bing Crosby and in her later years she worked for the Not Forgotten association. She was awarded the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1990.

Ida Lupino 1918 to 1995

Hollywood star in the 1940s and 1950s

Born at 33 Ardbeg Road, North Dulwich. Ida made her debut film appearance in 1931, in The Love Race but it was after her appearance in The Light That Failed in 1939, she was taken seriously as a dramatic actress. She worked for Warner Brothers form 1940 to 1947. Ida Lupina became one of the first female directors in Hollywood but was also known as a as a writer and television director.

Samuel Jones and Co Ltd Peckham

Celebrated maker of stationery and other products

The firm of Samuel Jones was established around the junction between Southampton Way and Peckham Grove for more than a century. The largest of the company's buildings was decorated with a picture of the Camberwell beauty butterfly, which became the trading logo. The firm made gummed papers, adhesives and tapes and an engineering factory, which among other products made fire extinguishers.

You can see all entries and vote here.

A couple of years ago I went round finding and photographing our local blue plaques which you can see via this link.

Since then about 25 of Boris Karloff's possible descendants have added comments, trying to find out if they are in any way related to William Henry Pratt.

I still need to get a photo of Edgar Kail's blue plaque.

The only Eva I can find in connection with East Dulwich was a famous apiculturist called Eva Crane (n?e Widdowson) who had a sister called Elsie May.

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > Lord Haw Haw was a traitor.

>

> This is a common error.

>

> He was a citizen of the Irish Free State.

They hung him, nonetheless, on the pretext that he had claimed the protection of the British state and therefore owed fielty to it. Anyway, I think we should have a blue plaque for Monica in respect of her services to the environment and also to embarrass her silly!

I was told that Lor Haw Haws mum lived in Alison Grove, just off Dulwich Common (hence his presence at DC) and that her house was bombed and destroyed. Interestingly there are half the road with pre war houses and the other side are all post war. It was a very grisly hanging by all accounts because of a scar he had across his face.

EDOldie Wrote:

> I was told that Lor Haw Haws mum lived in Alison

> Grove, just off Dulwich Common (hence his presence

> at DC) and that her house was bombed and

> destroyed. Interestingly there are half the road

> with pre war houses and the other side are all

> post war. It was a very grisly hanging by all

> accounts because of a scar he had across his face.

Don't tell me it burst? Actually, go ahead, tell me it all.

I have previously suggested a set of stocks in the middle of the LL/East Dulwich Road roundabout. I would welcome suggestions as to who should debut them. I think whatever office junior from Osbourne Stewart pretended to be Mrs Robinson or whoever. Twenty-four hours of rotten fruit throwing should enable them to pay their penance and revert to being an acceptable member of ED society.

"Yeah, what about him? Lord Haw Haw was a traitor. Hardly deserving of a blue plague is he Frisco."

I think it's quite reasonable to identify where people of historical note lived, and not necessarily only do this with 'heroes'. History doesn't and shouldn't only refer to the good guys.

However, my original posting was tongue in cheek, but it's useful to know who can't judge that kind of thing, isn't it Jah Lush?

Also, what Domitianus wrote is correct.

Frisco Wrote:

> "Yeah, what about him? Lord Haw Haw was a traitor.

> Hardly deserving of a blue plague is he Frisco."

>

> I think it's quite reasonable to identify where

> people of historical note lived, and not

> necessarily only do this with 'heroes'. History

> doesn't and shouldn't only refer to the good

> guys.

>

> However, my original posting was tongue in cheek,

> but it's useful to know who can't judge that kind

> of thing, isn't it Jah Lush?

>

> Also, what Domitianus wrote is correct.

Which bit Frisco? Just so I can write it down and remember it!